Notifications
Clear all

Make-Up Remover

MemberMember
(@yau)

Posted : 12/27/2012 1:48 pm

I used to remove my makeup with wet tissues, but it isn't removing all the makeup at all. Months ago I was at a drugstore and a "dermatologist" told me that was not enough just to wipe my face with those wet tissues so she tried to sell me a make-up remover. I didn't buy it because I already was buying an acne treatment of the brand she was promoting (Clinic) and I wanted to test the product before buying more things from the same brand. I think that I have been using that acne treatment for about three months and it haven't helped me yet. With this treatment I noticed that when I have breakouts they come huge and it takes longer to go. So I am totally sure that I am not buying more form that brand. I also bought something for my blackheads when I bought the treatment and that thing made me breakout in parts of my face that never had acne.

I have used many differents products for makeup and acne treatment that didn't work for me so I am afraid to go and waste my money on something that doesn't worth it again. So I would like you to help me, tell me if all the makeup remover are the same and do the same work, or all are differents, recomend me a makeup remover or you think I should keep using wet tissues?

EDIT: I forgot to tell you that I have oily skin

MemberMember
(@flaxen)

Posted : 12/27/2012 3:39 pm

Hi Yau,

I think the main problem with makeup removers is that they can be quite harsh and irritating which can aggravate acne. So, try to find something that is labelled as non-comedogenic and/or for sensitive/acne prone skin. You mention that you have oily skin but don't let that fool you into thinking you need something stronger or to scrub harder. I used to have extremely oily skin so I do know what a nightmare it is! (It's much better now thanks to benzoyl peroxide and an anti-androgen.) But trust me, it really pays to be gentle with your skin smile.png

Whether or not you need a separate makeup remover aswell as a cleanser is an individual decision. I usually wash my face in the shower at night just with my regular facial cleanser and no trace gets left behind... If I'm washing my makeup off in the sink though I sometimes use a makeup remover before I cleanse. I'm sure there are various gentle cleansers available but I can highly recommend what I use:

Avene extremely gentle facial cleanser and eye makeup remover - I apply it with cotton wool pads

La Roche Posay purifying foaming gel cleanser for oily sensitive skin - this is my regular cleanser and it removes all my makeup satisfactorily if I'm showering

Wet wipes are probably ok if the ones you are using are for sensitive skin but I think they can often be quite harsh. Also be careful not to rub your skin too hard (irritation aggravates acne.) When I use my makeup remover on a cotton pad I put quite alot of product on the pad then very gently glide it across my skin.

Hope that helps smile.png

Yau liked
MemberMember
(@yau)

Posted : 12/27/2012 4:45 pm

Thank you very much for the reply

I have used la roche posay, effaclar, purifying foaming gel for oily sensitive skin, i really liked it because made my skin feel smooth, but it made me breakout so I stopped using it.

So, you are telling me that if I only use a cleanser to remove the makeup is ok?

If I am using the regimen cleanser, using it as is says to be used (gently) it is going to be enough to have my face clean?

MemberMember
(@flaxen)

Posted : 12/28/2012 9:49 am

I think just using the cleanser should be enough, but it sort of depends on what makeup you use and how much. If you want to check, you could try washing your face with the regimen cleanser as you usually would then wipe your face with one of your wet tissues afterwards. If you get any traces of makeup on the tissue then you need to use a makeup remover as well as your cleanser, if the tissue is clean your cleanser is doing a good job and you don't need anything extra :)

MemberMember
(@yau)

Posted : 12/30/2012 1:55 pm

Thank you very much Flaxen! n_n

Have a happy new year!

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 01/05/2013 4:39 pm

I like using in scented baby wipes for removing makeup. They work great at removing makeup and don't leave your skin irritated

MemberMember
(@clarice12345)

Posted : 01/30/2013 8:02 pm

try shuuemura. it's a cult-favorite plus one swipe of the stuff across the face gets rid of everything. (mascara, foundation, all that good stuff). I usually use that and then supplement it with face wash right afterwards :)

MemberMember
(@naturalog)

Posted : 02/05/2013 6:02 pm

Have you tried an oil cleanser? Its very similar to the oil cleansing method except you dont use simple olive oil, but rather a product that is specifically designed to remove makeup. I use the shiseido brand oil cleanser (I've tried others but this is my favorite). It's basically oil that you massage on your DRY face with DRY hands to melt the makeup off your face. Then you rinse and follow with a face wash (you MUST follow with a face wash). I wear a lot of makeup (waterproof mascara, liquid foundation, primer) and this gets all of it off the easiest. No rubbing, no tugging, no irritation.

I have EXTREMELY oily skin, and by extremely I mean i need to blot my face after 15 mins of washing it and the oil cleanser has not made it more oily or given me more acne. I think its the most effective and gentle at getting all of the dirt off.