Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
John457

Accutane Alternatives Or Is Accutane My Only Choice? Please

So I have reduced tear quality in both of my eyes as a result of undergoing LASIK surgery last November. My eyes aren't bone-dry or anything but I deal with dryness on a daily basis. It's been worse this winter with the drier air but I've also begun taking fish oil, drinking more water, and using eye drops, which have helped.

Obviously for that reason alone I'm really hesitant to go on Accutane. All of my doctors (LASIK and dermatologist) have said that I could go on the drug but that I just have to be careful and closely monitor things, which I would plan on doing anyway. My only fear is that what if the dryness (in my eyes) hits me and is permanent or scarring.

Between that, the recent BBC documentary, studies showing Accutane's connection with influencing brain function, and possible sexual side effects (at least in men) I'm really not thrilled about the idea of actually taking this.

At the same time I really don't know what else to do and my skin is still an awful oily cystic mess.

I've read how people have described the experience of Accutane as an intense psychological journey, as both the best and worst times of their lives, and honestly as I'm about to embark on a new professional assignment, that kind of language scares me.

Still, I really want clear skin - or more importantly, to be free from acne and its horrible effects. If I could guarantee that I would emerge unharmed from Accutane I think I would go on it today but of course I don't know that for sure.

I have tried so many different creams, gels, and prescription drugs but have had so little success. Currently I take 115 mg of Solodyn and 900 mg of Pantethine. Solodyn has helped somewhat but has not by any means been a cure. I tried Nicomide (B5) for a month but it did nothing. Maybe I had to take it longer but I also read that Pantethine (the active ingredient in B5) is more effective. I have been taking Pantethine for a few weeks and have noticed no results; my skin is still very oily. I want to incorporate L-Caritine into my regimine soon as I have read that this helps with Pantethine.

I just feel like I'm running out of viable and realistic options at this point. How much longer can I continue to experiment - continue to keep my life on hold as I search for a cure? Some of the things I'm thinking about at this point are laser treatments, experimenting with Vitamin D, but other than that I really don't know what to do. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Some people have success with high (yet safe non-toxic) doses of vitamin A. Which is kind of what Accutane is...a really high dose of vitamin A.

Speaking from experience about 10,000 - 20,000 IU of vitamin A a day will certainly dry you out.