Isolation On Christ...

Notifications
Clear all

Isolation On Christmas Day

MemberMember
(@guppy45)

Posted : 12/27/2012 4:10 am

I spent Christmas day alone. It's hard to fathom how far I've fallen in a year. My skin issues are back and in many ways worse than ever. I ended up buying a short novel involving plants, mysticism and a life transition. I read for at least five hours and the book made me feel positive and hopeful. Then the next day I was back to feeling self-anger and self-loathing. And also wishing I could go back and avoid all that I'm dealing with now. These feelings are pretty constant and dominant.

Anyone else spend this day alone? What did you do?

MemberMember
(@jackchi24)

Posted : 01/05/2013 6:00 pm

I'm sorry you spent Christmas alone :( I didn't spend it alone, but I did spend the whole day worrying about my skin like I have been for the past year and a half now. At the moment I'm very depressed over my skin so I can relate. It's awful how quickly things can go from bad to worse. I try to seclude myself as much as possible from other people and I avoid looking in mirrors in public cause I know it will only depress me. Hard to believe that two years ago I had tons of confidence in my looks and actually enjoyed my life and going out places. You're not alone.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/06/2013 1:04 pm

I spent Christmas day alone. It's hard to fathom how far I've fallen in a year. My skin issues are back and in many ways worse than ever. I ended up buying a short novel involving plants, mysticism and a life transition. I read for at least five hours and the book made me feel positive and hopeful. Then the next day I was back to feeling self-anger and self-loathing. And also wishing I could go back and avoid all that I'm dealing with now. These feelings are pretty constant and dominant.

Anyone else spend this day alone? What did you do?

Don't feel bad. Although I didn't spend the day alone, I kept de-emphasizing the season in my mind for almost two months so as to minimize the blow and effect of the actual day. I think Christmas is particularly painful to acne sufferers because it is a time of proximity and intimacy and relationship and celebrating those things. For most of us here, Christmas is only a cruel reminder of the absence of those things as a result of self-isolation and acne-related anxiety.

I spend most of my weekends alone because I am ashamed and embarrassed but also because I have, by choice, effectively ostracized myself from most of my peers. My only concerns now are performing as best I can at my job, even under the intense psychological pressure of acne, in order to make enough money to find a cure one day.

MemberMember
(@guppy45)

Posted : 01/06/2013 2:38 pm

Thanks for sharing John. It's good to know someone totally understands.

I'm doing the same thing. Just trying to do a good job at work and hiding in my cave until things get better.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 01/06/2013 6:19 pm

What are you doing to treat ur acne? Any supplements? Diet changes?

MemberMember
(@guppy45)

Posted : 01/08/2013 8:48 am

I don't have acne. I have folliculitis and I get ingrown hairs and am dealing with cortisone dents.

In the past I've been on many diets including raw. The only supplement I take now is vitamin C in hopes that it helps build collagen.

I had two great years out of twelve using a simplified version of the regimen then ingrowns came back and despite my reservations I allowed the doc to inject me with cortisone. Four months later my face is still dented but I'm embarking on a treatment soon. Wish me luck.

What are you doing to treat ur acne? Any supplements? Diet changes?