Notifications
Clear all

I Need Alternatives To Bcp For "fixing" Oily/acneic Skin!

MemberMember
(@kmichellemiller)

Posted : 12/25/2012 8:56 pm

Hi all. I'm extremely frustrated, my skin looks pretty terrible when I'm not on the "right" BCP. However, other than the possible skin benefits, I can't deal with all the other terrible side-effects. I already broke down once and started taking it again because I was so fed up with my skin, I don't want to do that again.

What can I do to help my skin that doesn't involve BCP? I believe the main problem is the horrible oiliness, because if it wasn't for that, I don't think the acne would show up. Someone, please help. I'm tired of trying things that don't work and I don't want to fall back on BCP again. Is there anything that ACTUALLY helps?

Thanks all!

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 12/25/2012 10:20 pm

Hi all. I'm extremely frustrated, my skin looks pretty terrible when I'm not on the "right" BCP. However, other than the possible skin benefits, I can't deal with all the other terrible side-effects. I already broke down once and started taking it again because I was so fed up with my skin, I don't want to do that again.

What can I do to help my skin that doesn't involve BCP? I believe the main problem is the horrible oiliness, because if it wasn't for that, I don't think the acne would show up. Someone, please help. I'm tired of trying things that don't work and I don't want to fall back on BCP again. Is there anything that ACTUALLY helps?

Thanks all!

Do you mean something not topical? If so, there aren't many oral prescriptions for acne. There's spironolactone, antibiotics (doxycycline, etc.) and isotretinoin.

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 12/26/2012 4:41 am

To get rid of oil, the only things that ACTUALLY work are hormonal treatments and Accutane. Things that COULD help are a low glycemic load diet, oral/topical natural antiandrogens, laser treatments, B5 megadose, vitamin A megadose, and other supplements.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/26/2012 10:36 am

^ diet and nutrients did help my formerly grotesquely oily skin. Which 2 courses of Accutane and years of BCP and other prescription drugs failed to do.

See the sebum and fat metabolism section of the pinned good things thread for info on what to do. There's also a link below in my signature.

Edit: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/230714-good-things-for-the-many-factors-that-lead-to-acne/page__st__20#entry2637530

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 12/27/2012 2:34 pm

Using the right blend for OCM really worked for me. The oil dissolves the oil in the pores keeping them clear, and the light residue left behind mimic sebum so your face stops making excess oil. It took a couple blends before I found the right one for me, but literally, the day after I started my current blend, I woke up to a soft, supple face. My make up stays on ALL day with no blotting. It was literally instant. It sounds backwards to use oil to fight oil but it really does work.

Start with Castor Oil, and play with other carrier oils to find the right balance for you. Jojoba, Hemp, Grapeseed, Extra Virgin Olive oil are all good ones. I prefer Hemp because its comodegenic rating is 0, and finding a non-sulfated Jojoba is difficult. Grapeseed is excellent if you have very dry skin, or are using medication that dries you out (like I am).

This really does work if you do it correctly. Google it to get all the steps.

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 12/27/2012 2:41 pm

I've recently completely fixed my oily skin and haven't had any new pimples in a while, via the following:

B5/Pantothenic Acid - I started with 1-2 grams a day for 2 weeks, then moved up to 6-9 grams a day for 2 weeks, and am now decreasing to 4-6 grams a day. I'll probably decrease it further in a couple weeks.

Acetyl-L-carnitine - 500 mg/day - This made me sick, or gave me cold-esque symptoms, at first. I think it was candida die-off. It boosts the effects of B5.

I also stopped washing my face with soap. I'd already tried this for 8 months in the past, but was still very oily. A few months ago I started using soap again but I switched back to water-only a month ago and have seen great results. This is because I now do more than just splash my face with water. I use water, but I also gently rub my face to get all the oil off. I can feel the difference. I do this once or twice per day.

My skin is actually dry and flaky now, when it used to be a grease pit.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 12/27/2012 4:29 pm

You can actually increase your dosages for optimal results. http://www.drdach.com/Acne_B5.html As mush so as 10 grams a day. I am starting at 8 grams for two weeks (per my naturpath's discretion).

MemberMember
(@tokidoki)

Posted : 01/07/2013 7:40 pm

To stop the oil you need to make sure you're taking in enough fluids and moisturizing well. It seems counterintuitive but when your skin gets dry it will produce oil. Keeping your skin moisturized means less oil. Consuming foods high in vitamin A like sweet potatoes can also decrease oil production.