Notifications
Clear all

Have You Had A Cyst Drained?

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 12/24/2012 12:25 am

How does a derm drain a cyst?

Do they just put a needle in and try to suck stuff out?

Or do they make an incision?

My derm said he didn't want to do it but I don't know what else to do; these cysts won't go away!

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 12/27/2012 4:16 pm

I have had a cyst extracted before, and although it was quite painful and left a scar, it was worth it in the end. I had a cyst the size of a quarter on my chin and the gal who initially injected it with a cortisone shot, missed the center of the cyst -- only to make it bigger (and I had my senior prom too....how horrible that was.) But, you can extract a cyst, it is just very uncomfortable and gross. I would recommend a cortisone shot from a well trained dermatologist only. Best of luck

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 12/27/2012 7:42 pm

I have had a cyst extracted before, and although it was quite painful and left a scar, it was worth it in the end. I had a cyst the size of a quarter on my chin and the gal who initially injected it with a cortisone shot, missed the center of the cyst -- only to make it bigger (and I had my senior prom too....how horrible that was.) But, you can extract a cyst, it is just very uncomfortable and gross. I would recommend a cortisone shot from a well trained dermatologist only. Best of luck

Thanks for responding.

So "extraction" is different that draining, right?

I am trying to figure out what that means; did you have an incision in your face then? Is the scar like the kind of scar you'd have from stitches?

How long did you have the cyst before you tried to have it extracted?

And was it a derm that extracted it or a plastic surgeon?

Did the extraction scar?

Thanks so much; I need all the info I can get!

MemberMember
(@crimeinpartner)

Posted : 12/27/2012 8:04 pm

I've had 3 cysts extracted before. All 3 times my derm would make a cut and squeeze the pus out(gross i'm sorry). Then he injects something in the remaining lump maybe a cortisone shot. It would be flat in about 3 days.

They do hurt like a bitch though

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 12/27/2012 9:19 pm

I've had 3 cysts extracted before. All 3 times my derm would make a cut and squeeze the pus out(gross i'm sorry). Then he injects something in the remaining lump maybe a cortisone shot. It would be flat in about 3 days.

Thanks for your help.

Does the incision your derm make leave a scar?

And have you ever had this done on a cyst that had been injected with cortisone?

Becuase my derm said he can't cut into it because I had to wait 6 months for the cortisone to be gone otherwise it wouldn't heal right.

But I'm guessing if you had a cyst bad enough to have it extracted that you also had it injected with cortisone, right?

please let me know, thanks so much

MemberMember
(@crimeinpartner)

Posted : 12/27/2012 9:34 pm

Thanks for your help.

And have you ever had this done on a cyst that had been injected with cortisone?

Becuase my derm said he can't cut into it because I had to wait 6 months for the cortisone to be gone otherwise it wouldn't heal right.

But I'm guessing if you had a cyst bad enough to have it extracted that you also had it injected with cortisone, right?

Yea they leave scars, but i think its worth it. I never had them injected with cortisone before the extraction because my derm keeps saying he has to cut it before the injection. I guess my cysts are that severe :(

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 12/27/2012 9:42 pm

Thanks for your help.

Yea they leave scars, but i think its worth it. I never had them injected with cortisone before the extraction because my derm keeps saying he has to cut it before the injection. I guess my cysts are that severe sad.png

How big of a scar is it?

I have two big cysts; probably about a half inch each in diamater........................wondering if I could have this done.

MemberMember
(@crimeinpartner)

Posted : 12/27/2012 9:54 pm

Well the only serious scar was my first one because the cyst was pretty huge like an inch. That left me with a scar about 1-2 centimeters, but its improved alot over the year. The other two incisions were on much smaller ones so the scars hardly bothered me. I could hardly see them.

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 12/27/2012 10:31 pm

Well the only serious scar was my first one because the cyst was pretty huge like an inch. That left me with a scar about 1-2 centimeters, but its improved alot over the year. The other two incisions were on much smaller ones so the scars hardly bothered me. I could hardly see them.

Is there any chance you could find out what it is your derm injects after doing the extraction? Because I'm dying to find out if it's cortisone that he/she is injecting after making the incision. If so, then I would feel a lot better about extracting/draining/excising my cyst after all the cortisone I've had put into it.

Thanks

MemberMember
(@crimeinpartner)

Posted : 12/27/2012 11:06 pm

I'm really not sure what it is, sorry. It would make sense to say its cortisone, but i can't say for sure because shouldn't he simply inject it into the cyst without the cutting?

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 12/28/2012 11:26 am

I believe extraction and drainage is considered the same thing. It did leave a scar, but I have had laser re-surfacing done since then and it's not very noticeable anymore. I just had two cyst cortisone shots on Wednesday and another one tomorrow. I haven't ever broken out like this (cystic acne) wise for a LONG time and I think its directly related to wine in take.... so i'll be cutting back on that.... the extraction does hurt, but you will be so much more relieved having it gone.

In response to CrimeinPartner, your derm might be injected some kind of antibiotic to fight off the chance of infection, or it too, may be the cortisone shot.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/28/2012 3:13 pm

i have drained 2 of my own cysts before. it was a very disturbing experience lol. I had one on each cheek at the same time, and i was on accutane so i think the accutane pushed them so close to the surface and made the cyst wall so thin, that one day they just started leaking out of a pore and then i squeezed them and it took a while but i got all the stuff out and they healed on their own, dont know if the sac is still in there or if there even was one but they're both totally flat now....but im getting another one i think and wanna have it done by a professional or something before it gets as big as my other ones..

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 12/28/2012 5:07 pm

So get this for gross and painful. My friend told me when she gets a cyst, she uses those diabetic needle pokers to open the cyst and drain it! OUCH.

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 12/28/2012 6:18 pm

So get this for gross and painful. My friend told me when she gets a cyst, she uses those diabetic needle pokers to open the cyst and drain it! OUCH.

I actually have diabetic needles too; I was actually contemplating trying to "suck" the stuff out with one of those.

Anyone ever done that?

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 12/28/2012 6:42 pm

Make sure you have a lot of alcohol wipes on hand to kill any bacteria before you do it! Ouchy.... i would just opt for the cortisone shot. (Which I am getting tomorrow!).

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 12/30/2012 12:20 am

Make sure you have a lot of alcohol wipes on hand to kill any bacteria before you do it! Ouchy.... i would just opt for the cortisone shot. (Which I am getting tomorrow!).

yeah, I always boil and sanitize any needles if I mess with my skin.

I have had cortisone shots; the problem is I've had this cyst for months! And have had several injections; this cyst is so big that the cortisone doesn't kill it and I'm starting to think the only way to get rid of it might be to try to "drain" it that way.

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 01/03/2013 5:25 pm

I still never heard if anyone has had a cyst "drained" in the sense of having a needle "suck" the pus/infection out.

Has anyone had it done on here?