Notifications
Clear all

(Picture) What Type Of Acne Do I Have And Whats Causing It?

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 12/22/2012 10:03 pm

I've decided to post pictures of my acne as it is today, as I am really starting to lose the battle mentally. Some background info:

17, male, from Australia, average height, a TINY bit underweight. Haven't consumed dairy, gluten or any high carbs for a month now. Before that month for a few weeks I was eating junk food for about 2 weeks. Before that I was on a serious healthy diet which included no gluten or high carbs, ALL natural food, all raw vegetables and healthy meat for 2 months. I exercise every 2nd day and go for walks every night.

I only started developing acne this year in January, and it's just gone downhill to this. I hardly go out anymore and the only person I see is my mum, sister and my girlfriend, I need to start getting my life back again, and I need my clear skin back. I'm hoping that maybe you guys, as you know a lot about acne, can tell what might be causing my acne even just by looking at the type it is.

This is a big deal of me to post photos, as this is the worst I've ever looked and I've hardly been feeling confident for over 4 months now, just sitting at home.

If it matters, I'm seeing a nutritionist - told me I have leaky gut syndrome and I did a test that told me all these different things thats wrong with my body, and she came to that conclusion. I'm going for an allergy test to tell me of ALL the foods I am allergic to so I don't harm my body anymore, don't know if that will make the big difference. But yeah.

Pictures:

post-189057-0-59502400-1356231366_thumb.

post-189057-0-83166500-1356231449_thumb.

post-189057-0-69816100-1356231551_thumb.

post-189057-0-44327900-1356231655.jpg < -- Another, clearer picture of my right cheek on my face.

post-189057-0-40572000-1356231781.jpg

That's all the pictures I have of my acne. Please reply soon. Getting frustrated with all of this.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 12/22/2012 10:49 pm

You need to boost ur immune system given u are underweight. Start drinking dairy kefir, vegetable juice and do hardcore yoga. Also have a vitamin A and zinc rich diet.

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 12/22/2012 10:56 pm

Sadly I can't have kefir as I am most likely intolerant to it, I used to have kefir mixed with different oils and drank it twice a day. I'm about to get an allergy test soon. So you really think it's my immune system that is the problem with my acne?

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 12/22/2012 11:59 pm

You need to boost ur immune system given u are underweight. Start drinking dairy kefir, vegetable juice and do hardcore yoga. Also have a vitamin A and zinc rich diet.

What does "boost [your] immune system" even mean? What part of the immune system?

I've decided to post pictures of my acne as it is today, as I am really starting to lose the battle mentally. Some background info:

17, male, from Australia, average height, a TINY bit underweight. Haven't consumed dairy, gluten or any high carbs for a month now. Before that month for a few weeks I was eating junk food for about 2 weeks. Before that I was on a serious healthy diet which included no gluten or high carbs, ALL natural food, all raw vegetables and healthy meat for 2 months. I exercise every 2nd day and go for walks every night.

I only started developing acne this year in January, and it's just gone downhill to this. I hardly go out anymore and the only person I see is my mum, sister and my girlfriend, I need to start getting my life back again, and I need my clear skin back. I'm hoping that maybe you guys, as you know a lot about acne, can tell what might be causing my acne even just by looking at the type it is.

This is a big deal of me to post photos, as this is the worst I've ever looked and I've hardly been feeling confident for over 4 months now, just sitting at home.

If it matters, I'm seeing a nutritionist - told me I have leaky gut syndrome and I did a test that told me all these different things thats wrong with my body, and she came to that conclusion. I'm going for an allergy test to tell me of ALL the foods I am allergic to so I don't harm my body anymore, don't know if that will make the big difference. But yeah.

Pictures:

post-189057-0-44327900-1356231655.jpg < -- Another, clearer picture of my right cheek on my face.

That's all the pictures I have of my acne. Please reply soon. Getting frustrated with all of this.

That's mild acne, similar to what I have at the moment. But you may have a few ingrown hairs, considering guys with facial hair typically do.

Having acne at 17 is not out of the ordinary -- with males, it tends to subside around 20 or so.

Mild acne such as yours can be easily managed over the counter, but if those products don't work you could see a derm, who would likely prescribe you adapalene.

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 12/23/2012 12:05 am

What does "boost [your] immune system" even mean? What part of the immune system?

Pictures:

That's mild acne, similar to what I have at the moment. But you may have a few ingrown hairs, considering guys with facial hair typically do.

Having acne at 17 is not out of the ordinary -- with males, it tends to subside around 20 or so.

Mild acne such as yours can be easily managed over the counter, but if those products don't work you could see a derm, who would likely prescribe you adapalene.

How do you know if you have ingrown hairs? i've heard of them but I don't really know, I use an electric shaver. And That actually made me feel a bit better, hah. I use to use clearisil and had no acne, except the occasional one or two every month. So you think I should buy a product and start using it or should I possibly even try Acne.org's regimen?

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 12/23/2012 12:33 am

Pictures:

How do you know if you have ingrown hairs? i've heard of them but I don't really know, I use an electric shaver. And That actually made me feel a bit better, hah. I use to use clearisil and had no acne, except the occasional one or two every month. So you think I should buy a product and start using it or should I possibly even try Acne.org's regimen?

Ingrown hairs can look a lot like acne, but they have a tendency to itch and sometimes if you look close enough you can see a curled back hair in the "pimple". Shaving makes you likely to have ingrown hairs. I noticed you had a lot more acne on the cheeks and chin (the areas where you have shaved), so that's also why I brought it up.

Salicylic acid and glycolic acid are used for acne and ingrown hairs. If you have oilier skin, you can use a 2% SA moisturizer. You said that Clearasil mostly worked for you, (Clearasil has a few 2% SA moisturizers) so you should go back to it. For mild acne, BP isn't really worth it because it can be irritating/drying and the potential bleach clothing/fabric.

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 12/23/2012 12:49 am

Pictures:

Ingrown hairs can look a lot like acne, but they have a tendency to itch and sometimes if you look close enough you can see a curled back hair in the "pimple". Shaving makes you likely to have ingrown hairs. I noticed you had a lot more acne on the cheeks and chin (the areas where you have shaved), so that's also why I brought it up.

Salicylic acid and glycolic acid are used for acne and ingrown hairs. If you have oilier skin, you can use a 2% SA moisturizer. You said that Clearasil mostly worked for you, (Clearasil has a few 2% SA moisturizers) so you should go back to it. For mild acne, BP isn't really worth it because it can be irritating/drying and the potential bleach clothing/fabric may not be worth it.

Thank you :) I'll be looking to see if I have any ingrown hairs now. And ok, I will lay off the regimen here. But if nothing else works, I'll try acne.orgs regimen. So one last Q: basically just try with an over the counter product, see how I go? if nothing, try see a dermatologist?

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 12/23/2012 1:32 am

Pictures:

Salicylic acid and glycolic acid are used for acne and ingrown hairs. If you have oilier skin, you can use a 2% SA moisturizer. You said that Clearasil mostly worked for you, (Clearasil has a few 2% SA moisturizers) so you should go back to it. For mild acne, BP isn't really worth it because it can be irritating/drying and the potential bleach clothing/fabric may not be worth it.

Thank you smile.png I'll be looking to see if I have any ingrown hairs now. And ok, I will lay off the regimen here. But if nothing else works, I'll try acne.orgs regimen. So one last Q: basically just try with an over the counter product, see how I go? if nothing, try see a dermatologist?

You're welcome! :)

Yes, you could try 2% SA and a shaving cream (Gillette has a nice Fusion Proglide line: look for one with glycerin in it if you tend to have dry skin after shaving).

I don't quite agree with Dan on his acne.org regimen, mostly because of the copious amounts of BP he recommends. If you feel you need to use BP, keep it to small doses/areas for reasons I've said before. If that doesn't work, it's a good idea to visit a derm. People assume that if you visit a derm he/she has to prescribe you something -- if you talk to them they can guide you to good OTC treatments. It's just a lot derms like to prescribe retinoids because they are very useful against acne, uneven skin tone, and wrinkle prevention.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 12/23/2012 9:22 am

Pictures:

Most acne sufferers have a weak thymus gland and that is why u need to have immune boosting foods. Don't know why you were having kefir with different oils but if digesting fat/ gut is an issue than I would recommend going to a good gastroenterologist than a nutritionist.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 12/23/2012 4:32 pm

Do you have any solid, credible evidence that acne sufferers have a weak thymus gland?

"Boosting the immune system" is so vague it's meaningless. The immune system is highly complex, with several types of lymphocytes (B cells and T cells) branching out into different subtypes (Helper T cells and Killer T cells), and is comprised of a cytokine system ("inflammatory") that is further divided into chemicals like IL-1, IL-6, and histamine to name a few off the top of my head. That's not including the other specific responses for parasites and viruses and the indirect defenses the body has like cilia in the lungs.