Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Baby_Doll213

Differin Cream vs Differin Gel

I've used the cream since Feb, and it never felt like it actually sank into my skin. When I woke up in the morning, my skin looked horribly oily (its never really oily), and felt gross.

I don't know if my derm changed my prescription without telling me, or if it was just a mistake at the drugstore, but they gave me differin gel yesterday. I didn't notice until last night, and I was scared to go a night without using it, so I went ahead and used the gel.

Granted, it did feel a little gross at first, think neosporin, but it sank in FAST and I didn't have to work about my pillow rubbing it off during my sleep. I could still feel it, but if I touched my skin, it felt like me.. and didn't leave my finger greasy.

It helped my little spots heal over night, and made one come up on my cheekbone (yowzers), but I think it does a better job overall.

I'm hoping the rest of my tubes are the gel, not the cream. But I wasn't sure if I was imagining the difference, or just insane.

What percentage do you use?

I've used the cream since Feb, and it never felt like it actually sank into my skin. When I woke up in the morning, my skin looked horribly oily (its never really oily), and felt gross.

I don't know if my derm changed my prescription without telling me, or if it was just a mistake at the drugstore, but they gave me differin gel yesterday. I didn't notice until last night, and I was scared to go a night without using it, so I went ahead and used the gel.

Granted, it did feel a little gross at first, think neosporin, but it sank in FAST and I didn't have to work about my pillow rubbing it off during my sleep. I could still feel it, but if I touched my skin, it felt like me.. and didn't leave my finger greasy.

It helped my little spots heal over night, and made one come up on my cheekbone (yowzers), but I think it does a better job overall.

I'm hoping the rest of my tubes are the gel, not the cream. But I wasn't sure if I was imagining the difference, or just insane.

What percentage do you use?

Mine is o.1% also.  By my 6th week I started using a lot of it on my face even though they tell you not to.  But 4 me it really seemed to work better, but I wouldn't recommend that you do this.

What kind of acne did you have? I have almost 100% comedonal acne and have been on Differin for 8 weeks now (along with Clindamycin) twice daily. Until about two weeks ago,  I had been pretty happy, as I was getting no inflammation. The skin evened out a lot, the pores got smaller. However, about 50% of the clogged pores are still there - I don't know if I should give Differin more time or look for other solutions. Also, about two weeks ago, I started getting inflammations again - not too many and not too bad but still really annoying because I was already getting used to if not clear skin but at least to not having any active spots... I don't know if it is just a fluke or might get worse...

Also, do you know anything about using salicylic acid scrub along with Differin? I was using Clean & Clear Blackhead Scrub on my back (I didn't use Differin there) and it cleared it up amazingly (didn't expect that). The skin is now so much better than that on my face - feels smooth and clear.

Sorry if this is too long and thanks for any advice.

Actually I use salicylic acid to.  I use the Stridex triple action pads and then apply the differin.  For me it doesn't burn at all, cause redness or over-dryness.  Once I added salicylic acid into the rest of my routine, thats when my skin cleared up.  Although it might be different for others.  Oh, and I when I started the differin I had just a couple of small zits (my face was pretty much clear) and then 2-3 weeks later on differin it turned into cystic acne, and now (9 weeks later) my skin is completely smooth with just a couple of red marks.

I read the website a while back, the cream is for more senstitive skin. The gel will be better because gels always absorb better.

If the gel is drying out or irritating you skin switch to cream.