Notifications
Clear all

Hey - My Battle With Acne So Far.

MemberMember
(@lukeccfc)

Posted : 12/21/2012 4:32 pm

Hello everyone. I'm 17 years old and have battled with acne the last 3 years. Acne has affected everything for me, it affected my education, social life and family life. I have felt on edge everyday for the last 3 years and can't look people in the eye still when I have a conversation. Acne makes me feel dirty even though I wash constantly, it also makes me feel worthless compared to other people. People just think acne is one of those things that happens to everyone and you should just get on with it - however... That certainly was not the case for me.

Acne affected my education as I was to busy concentrating hiding my acne rather than concentrating on work. I used to hang around at breaks on my own as I didn't want to associate with other people as I was to embarrassed. I also stayed in the house a lot and didn't go out with friends. Having bad acne made me In to a different person and I started pushing people away. I have been on doxycycline for the last 6 months and have had a good experience on the drug. About 70% of my acne has cleared up but I have terrible scarring from it on my back who my idiotic doctor reckons its probably stretch marks even though I've been the same weight for about 2 years and I have never been overweight. It's obviously acne scarring it looks like I've been whipped and its on my spine.

I could write a book on my experiences with acne such as how it's affected me psychologically and how it's affected my social life, education, family life and also how it's still affecting me when finding a job now. Also I am currently on holiday and can't even take my tshirt off to go in the pool as I'm too embarrassed. I also don't enjoy life not just because of the acne but through a number of different factors due to my family. I just think if my acne and scarring went them it would be a great lift off my shoulders and I could concentrate on my other problems then.

The reason as to why I joined this forum was to see if anyone felt similar and has been through the same experiences as me. Look forward to speaking to you all, leave your thoughts....

MemberMember
(@simon89)

Posted : 12/24/2012 6:56 pm

Everything you said, its how I feel. Especially taking the shirt off on holiday, I feel very self conscious - because like you said, this is supposed to be one of the most common skin problems, yet I never see anyone with it all over them like me!

I feel as though I missed out growing up, avoided social outings at college like the plague so never really made friends. Couldn't work, unemployed for over a year due to my Social Anxiety which I partly blame acne for. I did a course of CBT therapy for my anxiety which really helped me. I have a job now, but it's not something i'm passionate about, feel as though acne is holding me back at the moment!

Glad I'm not the only one, chin up! :)

MemberMember
(@lukeccfc)

Posted : 12/29/2012 9:16 pm

Everything you said, its how I feel. Especially taking the shirt off on holiday, I feel very self conscious - because like you said, this is supposed to be one of the most common skin problems, yet I never see anyone with it all over them like me!

I feel as though I missed out growing up, avoided social outings at college like the plague so never really made friends. Couldn't work, unemployed for over a year due to my Social Anxiety which I partly blame acne for. I did a course of CBT therapy for my anxiety which really helped me. I have a job now, but it's not something i'm passionate about, feel as though acne is holding me back at the moment!

Glad I'm not the only one, chin up! smile.png

Yeah people hide acne thats why we never come in to contact with people who talk about it freely! I am glad your situation has somewhat improved!!

MemberMember
(@acneisnobueno)

Posted : 12/31/2012 2:21 pm

In the same boat. Its starting to really sink in on how my face really looks right now :/

I feel like a monster. But going stay positive knowing i have options!

MemberMember
(@lukeccfc)

Posted : 01/01/2013 7:59 pm

In the same boat. Its starting to really sink in on how my face really looks right now :/

I feel like a monster. But going stay positive knowing i have options!

I know exactly how your feel, see a dermatologist as soon as you can don't let your situation get any worse! My wish is that i went to the doctors 3 years sooner, lesson learned!!