Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
unbreakable1

Help Me Turn My Life Around?

I've been struggling with several issues for the past few years, I guess poor diet doesn't help. I want to "fix" myself. I'm very unfit and find it impossible to jog/run for more than a minute or do intense workouts. I'm 19.

I've mainly been struggling with the following, if you can only help with one thing that would be great too

- Fatigue and (often random) weakness (I can't remember the last time I felt awake, even when I'm sleeping well. I've been suffering with it for years, I'm constantly in a daze and after doing not a lot I'm exhausted and falling asleep)

- Excessive sweating/Hyperhidrosis (all over my body and mainly my back, not just the palms/underarms)

- Constant weak, hoarse, raspy voice (it's always weak unless I have a mid-day nap and then it's a bit better, comparing it to how my voice used to be... loud and clear.. it's a miserabe change) potentially irritated by post-nasal drip/acid reflux or something, possible caused by diet

- Oily skin, not much acne anymore but I have the potential to get rid of it completely so I'll try

Where do I start? Doctors say it's depression after a thyroid (they only tested TSH+Free t4 and refuse to do anything else), anaemia and diabetes test came back normal, I'm not denying the depression... but that doesn't mean it can't be something else too. Thyroid problems run in my family, the sweating and hoarse voice (also had noticeably thinning eyebrows and people have told me I've gained loads of weight over the past several months, saying my face is swollen, but my eating habits are exactly the same)

Even on good days I become SO tired within 15 minutes and my voice is just unusable! I had an insane growth spurt around 13 years old, leaving me at 6'2, which I still am 7 years later. Makes me wonder if there's a hormonal issue there or something...

Edited by Callum.

I'm by no means an expert or medical professional but I have suffered from extreme fatigue much of my life (however the past few years its gotten much better). I can say that a lot of that for me was diet related and also depression. You say your eating the same, but I'm curious as to what you are eating. For me carbohydrates such as breads and pasta and pastry type food cause me almost immediate sleepiness and very dazed feeling. I was also overweight for most of my adult life and since losing weight I have more energy. That also goes along with eating those carbohydrates (I feel like when i eat those I gain weight almost immediately despite calorie counting). Your body still is changing at age 19 and you may need to change your diet. When I was that age I was eating mostly carbohydrates and sleeping around 12-14 hours a day. When I was awake I was very sleepy and I'd take naps every day. I barely drank any water and the thought of exercise was out of the question. Looking back I know my diet had so much to do with how I felt. I lived in that daze feeling probably until I was maybe 26 or so. When I started eating more veggies and less carbs I began feeling a world better.

As for depression.....I know when I sit around it gets worse. And the more I sit around the more tired I get. But i sit around because im tired. So it's a vicious cycle. What's helped for me is to find hobbies and things I enjoy. It helps me not just focusing on how tired I am but gives me motivation to get up. Having something to occupy my mind helps me stop focusing on the negative stuff which helps me manage my depression.

Have you considered cutting gluten from your diet? Like the above poster I felt exhausted constantly and like my mind was in a fog. A week after cutting gluten from my diet I remembered how it feels to be alive again - literally not exaggerating! I took a gluten sensitivity test and am not celiac but taking gluten out of my diet has been the best thing I have ever done for my health and skin.

Diet plays the biggest part in every symptom you have listed. Try eating paleo... high fat, lot's of meat, fish, good oils, vegetables etc. and stay away from packaged, processed "dead" foods and carbohydrates. Diet also plays a big role in mood so you may be depressed because you are lacking certain nutrients. Low fat can make you very depressed as can being deficient in vitamin D.

For your voice I am not too sure, you could try taking oil of oregano which will kill all bacteria and yeast in your throat. It might make a difference as it always makes me feel refreshed after taking it. Also gut flora plays a part in health so be sure to have probiotic sources in your diet like yoghurt, kefir and sauerkraut etc.

I'm not an expert but that's my best advice!

Gluten does really mess some people up, so it's a real possibility. Avoid all grains for a bit, then you can try adding some of the less harmful.

Another important thing is to keep as natural as possible circadian cycle of exposure to light and dark. Get outside into bright light in the daytime. Minimize artificial light in the evenings. Go to bed early. The circadian cycle regulates so many functions.

Problems with adernal glands if not the thyroid could be the cause of your problems. Youtube baba ramdev yoga for youth, skin disease etc. and start doing hardcore yoga. Also increase ur intake of Vitamin A, E and zinc rich foods possibly through vegetable juicing. Also go to a university medical center if possible to get a second opinion.

Thankyou! I'll take everything into consideration! Very helpful smile.png What about this shopping list? I'm not good at cooking meals except for veg and chicken, etc, all basic stuff.

Fruit

Apples

Pears

Bananas

Grapes

Melon

Blueberries

Pineapple

Kiwi

Fruit salad

Veg

Broccoli

Cauliflower

Peas

Spinach

Green beans

Carrots

Lettuce

Celery

Potatoes

Sweet potatoes

Other

Fish

Chicken breast

Non-dairy milk

Non-dairy yoghurt

Brown rice

Coconut oil

Apple Cider Vinegar

Supplements

Vitamin A

Vitamin D

Vitamin E

Zinc

Niacin

Magnesium

Milk Thistle

Probiotic

Edited by Callum.

Have you considered cutting gluten from your diet? Like the above poster I felt exhausted constantly and like my mind was in a fog. A week after cutting gluten from my diet I remembered how it feels to be alive again - literally not exaggerating! I took a gluten sensitivity test and am not celiac but taking gluten out of my diet has been the best thing I have ever done for my health and skin.

Diet plays the biggest part in every symptom you have listed. Try eating paleo... high fat, lot's of meat, fish, good oils, vegetables etc. and stay away from packaged, processed "dead" foods and carbohydrates. Diet also plays a big role in mood so you may be depressed because you are lacking certain nutrients. Low fat can make you very depressed as can being deficient in vitamin D.

For your voice I am not too sure, you could try taking oil of oregano which will kill all bacteria and yeast in your throat. It might make a difference as it always makes me feel refreshed after taking it. Also gut flora plays a part in health so be sure to have probiotic sources in your diet like yoghurt, kefir and sauerkraut etc.

I'm not an expert but that's my best advice!

About the oregano oil, do you mean 100% pure? It says not to consume on the bottle? :)

If it says not to consume I probably wouldn't. You can get oil of oregano safe to consume from a pharmacy or health food store. I take one or two drops in a glass of water. It can be quite strong but it is really refreshing. Anytime my throat hurts or is scratchy I take the oil of oregano. It is a powerful antibiotic/antifungal and also helps the immune system.

I've had similar issues and going low-carb made them much worse. I then realized my fatigue may have been caused by dieting - I'd been on and off controlling my calories ever since I'd recovered from an eating disorder in my early teens. I'd never let myself eat like a normal person without worrying about food. So after trying low-carb to tackle my skin issues and getting even more fatigued, I re-introduced carbs and basically let myself eat as much as I wanted. And I ate a lot - easily 3000-5000 kcal for a few months. After a while my eating normalized to something like 2000 kcal/d and since then I haven't paid any attention to calories and finally feel 'cured' from my eating issues. Anyhow long story short: eating more seemed to help with my energy levels and I realized I hadn't been eating enough. If you don't eat a lot, perhaps that's something you should consider as well.

I also gained surprisingly little weight during my feasting days, and after that my weight gain disappeared on its own in a year or so. However, I do still get fatigue easily every once in a while and I'm trying to work out the triggers. It seems to happen especially when stressed, worried, or depressed, or when I haven't been eating so well or exercising, or when my circadian rhythms are messed up.

I've been gluten-free for years and I wouldn't go back, although it's hard to say how much of an effect it has had on my health. I still have skin issues, I still get fatigue occasionally, and my stomach still gets upset sometimes. Although all these issues have improved somewhat over the years.

Edited by austra