Notifications
Clear all

What Type Of Food Is Best While Taking Accutane? Please Help.

MemberMember
(@kmartineau07)

Posted : 12/20/2012 2:37 pm

My dermatologist said to take accutane with a meal that is "high in fat". Is 12g of fat considered to be high in fat? He suggested a cheeseburger but that is definitely more than 12g of fat, and I don't really like to eat fast food very often..

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 12/20/2012 5:38 pm

Eat healthy fats like olive oil, butter, coconut oil etc. Should help. Also increase ur zinc intake from natural sources.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 12/20/2012 6:58 pm

My dermatologist said to take accutane with a meal that is "high in fat". Is 12g of fat considered to be high in fat? He suggested a cheeseburger but that is definitely more than 12g of fat, and I don't really like to eat fast food very often..

From the FDA and Center for Drug Evaluation and Research:

A high-calorie meal, 800 to 1000 calories with approximately 500 to 600 calories from fat (and 150 calories from protein, 250 calories from carbohydrates).

Source here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3509883/#B36

1 gram of fat = 9 calories, 600/9 = 66.67 g fat per meal, 500/9 = 55.55 g . . . so it would be best to have roughly 56 g to 67 g of fat for one meal to take with your prescription.

Now that doesn't mean it's purely trans fat like in fast food -- "fat" includes monounsaturated fat and polyunsaturated fat (lipids), the "better" fats. You can get the "better" fats from olives, olive oil, avocados, a variety of nuts and seeds, fish, and leafy greens. Depending on the ingredients and serving size, you could easily meet this fat requirement with an olive oil-slathered and almond-covered salad mixed in with slices of salmon.