Notifications
Clear all

What If We Have Acne Forever?

MemberMember
(@crimeinpartner)

Posted : 12/19/2012 5:26 pm

"many years from now, we'll be sitting in a chair propped up with pillows in an old people's home, staring out the window and looking back over our life. and we'll think to ourselves, what a waste.. i let those lumps on my face hold me back from living my life the way i wanted to. we'll think of all the opportunities that may have passed us by, all the experiences we could have had, and all the good times we may have missed out on.. not just because we were affected by acne, but because we let acne affect us.

we'll look back and wonder why we let this happen, why did i stay home that night instead of going out, why did i keep to myself at that class instead of making friends, why did i let acne control my life bit by bit.. we'll wish we could go back to being 15, 25, or even 40 years old, because now we'd do it differently, we'd do it better.

we'll think that if only we knew back then what we know now, we wouldnt have sat back and let things unfold the way they have. we'll realise that in the grand scheme of things acne is trivial, it's nothing.. we'll realise there are far worse things in this life, we'll realise that it wasnt really such a big deal after all, and that the emotional harm we ended up causing ourselves far outweighed any physical harm caused by the acne. and we'll realise that not only did we actually know this all along, but that we also knew what to do about it..

only by then, it will be too late"

Posted on April 24 2006 by rodd

I was just looking around old forums and found this post. I think i'm lucky i found it.

I'm only 15 but I've been letting acne dictate my life for the 3 years I've had it, many people i talk to don't seem to care about my skin so why am i so shy and scared around some of them?

MemberMember
(@kyle_)

Posted : 12/19/2012 7:05 pm

I guess we hate acne so much because as people it's only our nature to want to look good to other people, to look good to the opposite sex, It's fact. To look in the mirror and think wow I wonder what people are going to think about my skin is terrible, even though when I look at other peoples bad skin I don't think it's too bad.

I guess it's just instinct to want to look better, I have to admit, i don't know where I would be without clear skin from the regimen, pretty much saved me!

MemberMember
(@the-uphill-battle)

Posted : 12/20/2012 11:51 pm

Thanks for sharing this, it actually made me tear up.

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 12/21/2012 12:18 am

Damn I don't wanna be old, i can already imagine being a grumpy ass old man, probably end up in a mental institution or padded up room. If I have acne past 50 I'm just goin to ask to be put down, I wonder if that's legally possible.

MemberMember
(@lapis-lazuli)

Posted : 12/21/2012 12:28 am

Sum1killme has "Dead member" written above his avatar/profile pic but on some forums they actually have that; when someone has died they have it stated that the person is deceased.

I've read the quote in the first post a few times. Normally I'd read something like this maybe once but now I read it a few times as the person who is quoted has committed suicide. It was made known in the lounge section of this site I think a year ago as he had been close to some veteran members. Or it was made known this year... I can't remember. But he became depressed and took his own life. I think he was in his early thirties.

Knowing that makes me look at that quote a bit differently.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 12/21/2012 4:44 am

Sum1killme has "Dead member" written above his avatar/profile pic but on some forums they actually have that; when someone has died they have it stated that the person is deceased.

I've read the quote in the first post a few times. Normally I'd read something like this maybe once but now I read it a few times as the person who is quoted has committed suicide. It was made known in the lounge section of this site I think a year ago as he had been close to some veteran members. Or it was made known this year... I can't remember. But he became depressed and took his own life. I think he was in his early thirties.

The person you speak of was a good friend of mine.

Tragic.

MemberMember
(@lapis-lazuli)

Posted : 12/21/2012 7:03 am

Tragic.

I recently received news that someone I and some people I know used to work with had taken the same step. I was never close to her but I saw her around quite often. I never in a million years would have thought she'd do that. Especially seeing she had recently started a new life having moved, met someone and just had given birth to two children. Things seemed to be fine but like I said, I was never close to her. But then again sometimes news like that comes as a surprise even to those close to someone.

I'm sorry for your loss.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 12/21/2012 8:12 am

Tragic.

I recently received news that someone I and some people I know used to work with had taken the same step. I was never close to her but I saw her around quite often. I never in a million years would have thought she'd do that. Especially seeing she had recently started a new life having moved, met someone and just had given birth to two children. Things seemed to be fine but like I said, I was never close to her. But then again sometimes news like that comes as a surprise even to those close to someone.

I'm sorry for your loss.

It's amazing what could be going on inside someones head.

Do you think suicide is a selfish act, in that the people close to the said person has to then live with the pain and pick up the pieces?

MemberMember
(@lapis-lazuli)

Posted : 12/21/2012 9:37 am

Do you think suicide is a selfish act, in that the people close to the said person has to then live with the pain and pick up the pieces?

Whenever I hear people say that I just think it's their way of dealing with things.

I remember seeing a documentary about people who jumped off of the Golden gate bridge and there was one person sitting there in tears saying that his friend had hurt him by committing suicide and that he was angry with him. But obviously if he were to meet his friend again all would be forgiven.

I don't see it as a selfish act. Again, in that documentary someone's mother said that her daughter "was just at the end of her rope" and that "it was better this way". I mean I wouldn't want anyone to go on when things are a certain way for them even after everything has been tried to turn things around and there is no hope for any change. This may sound strange to some but I'd in and of itself be happy they'd be freed from their fate.

MemberMember
(@tuffluck)

Posted : 12/21/2012 12:04 pm

Deep stuff.

Well since were on the subject. Around the middle of this year I fell into a deep depression myself. It wasn't just acne related, had to do with some deep rooted problems that went way back. It was a combination of so much... poor diet, unfortunate circumstances, and more. It got deeper, and jsut didn't get better for the longest.

I even did my research, planned how I would do it... even wrote my letters.

Anyhow.. I don't know how I got through it but I did.

And now as we end this year I have graduated college with honors cum laude, start my new job next week, my acne has cleared tremendously, my family is doing better (my brother was mentally ill), I am surrounded by close friends again, I am meeting new people all the time, have found my passion in dance and art and other things again. Over all, things aren't perfect but have improved significantly. I feel blessed.

I am not here to boast but give a geniuine testimony that I was going down the wrong path myself and during that time I seriously did not see a light at the end of the tunnel. I think anyone that commits or seriously comtemplates suicide feels the same way... they feel like there is nothing more they can do.

My life changed... big time.. and it can for you too. Just in case anyone is feeling a bit down. Take it from me, it does get hella lot better.

Just wanted to share.

Oh and one more thing I'd like to share. Its the best thing ive learned this year and will carry it with me for alife time.

I put quotes but its not exactly how it goes.. but I didn't make it up so I wont take credit.

"Good luck is the ability to recognize a chance, an opportunity, then take action. If that action then turns into something good, we then view it as good luck. The opposite would hold true for bad luck" -somewhere I read

For the longest time I kept telling myself I had bad luck. Bad things happened in my life. It happens in everyones. But I know we tend to fall victim to ourselves. Often it is true, we do endure more problems than most. I know we can't measure anyones problems or happiness, but its very easy to analyze your life and say holy fuck I got the shit end of the stick.

This is not the right mind set. Recognize that we have opportunies all the time. Its only when we ACT on them that we create something good in our lives.

MemberMember
(@jjn)

Posted : 12/21/2012 8:55 pm

I hate it when people say that you shouldn't worry about what other people think about your face. I never cared. I ONLY CARED ABOUT WHAT I THOUGHT ABOUT MY FACE. And how can you feel good when you have huge red bumps all over your face oozing pus and blood. You can't just ignore that and force yourself to feel fine about it.

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 12/24/2012 3:07 am

I hate it when people say that you shouldn't worry about what other people think about your face. I never cared. I ONLY CARED ABOUT WHAT I THOUGHT ABOUT MY FACE. And how can you feel good when you have huge red bumps all over your face oozing pus and blood. You can't just ignore that and force yourself to feel fine about it.

That is true, one can't force oneself to feel good.

However we can learn to adapt and to overcome and that's what it is all about.

The human race and individuals has overcome far greater obstacles in your history. We adapted, improvised and overcame.

The problem with todays world is that everything is done for us and we no longer evolve. We just invent better ways to be lazy.

This also impacts on our mentality. We are the only species on this planet that places so much value on looks, this never use to be the case. The media has a huge part to play in this, indoctrinating people into believing we have to be perfect. Well the human isn't perfect so why try or aspire to be?

I say evolve and adapt.

MemberMember
(@fatalbert911)

Posted : 12/30/2012 7:44 am

Whenever I hear people say that I just think it's their way of dealing with things.

I remember seeing a documentary about people who jumped off of the Golden gate bridge and there was one person sitting there in tears saying that his friend had hurt him by committing suicide and that he was angry with him. But obviously if he were to meet his friend again all would be forgiven.

I don't see it as a selfish act. Again, in that documentary someone's mother said that her daughter "was just at the end of her rope" and that "it was better this way". I mean I wouldn't want anyone to go on when things are a certain way for them even after everything has been tried to turn things around and there is no hope for any change. This may sound strange to some but I'd in and of itself be happy they'd be freed from their fate.

you mean like a merciful death? i can understand that, if someone doesn't see any way out. then personaly i think it's a person's choice if they decide to end their own life. although it's a complex thing and a lot of factors go into it. some people just can't handle it, as for me... hell im going to end up dead eventually everyone does, won't be the first or the last. unless science say's otherwise but yeah. im not in a hurry to die but if it happens ahh fuck it i say live & let die. sorry for the people who's been effected by suicides

MemberMember
(@lapis-lazuli)

Posted : 12/30/2012 11:42 am

you mean like a merciful death? i can understand that, if someone doesn't see any way out. then personaly i think it's a person's choice if they decide to end their own life. although it's a complex thing and a lot of factors go into it. some people just can't handle it, as for me... hell im going to end up dead eventually everyone does, won't be the first or the last. unless science say's otherwise but yeah. im not in a hurry to die but if it happens ahh fuck it i say live & let die. sorry for the people who's been effected by suicides

Yeah, a merciful death. It's still a taboo, it seems. Just the other day I saw this (serious) talkshow where people were debating about whether the elderly should be enabled to end their lives in a peaceful manner whenever they wanted to or not. It's baffling that this question to which the answer so very obviously is yes, is causing so much confusion.

MemberMember
(@leofernandez)

Posted : 06/15/2013 10:57 am

you opened my eyes with this post, time to stop acting like an insecure ****

oh and logic is sick!

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 06/24/2013 3:39 pm

What if we have never ending acne? Well,then we'll fight like a warrior until death relieves us of this menace .

MemberMember
(@dermarolling-girl)

Posted : 06/26/2013 10:19 pm

"many years from now, we'll be sitting in a chair propped up with pillows in an old people's home, staring out the window and looking back over our life. and we'll think to ourselves, what a waste.. i let those lumps on my face hold me back from living my life the way i wanted to. we'll think of all the opportunities that may have passed us by, all the experiences we could have had, and all the good times we may have missed out on.. not just because we were affected by acne, but because we let acne affect us.

we'll look back and wonder why we let this happen, why did i stay home that night instead of going out, why did i keep to myself at that class instead of making friends, why did i let acne control my life bit by bit.. we'll wish we could go back to being 15, 25, or even 40 years old, because now we'd do it differently, we'd do it better.

we'll think that if only we knew back then what we know now, we wouldnt have sat back and let things unfold the way they have. we'll realise that in the grand scheme of things acne is trivial, it's nothing.. we'll realise there are far worse things in this life, we'll realise that it wasnt really such a big deal after all, and that the emotional harm we ended up causing ourselves far outweighed any physical harm caused by the acne. and we'll realise that not only did we actually know this all along, but that we also knew what to do about it..

only by then, it will be too late"

Posted on April 24 2006 by rodd

I was just looking around old forums and found this post. I think i'm lucky i found it.

I'm only 15 but I've been letting acne dictate my life for the 3 years I've had it, many people i talk to don't seem to care about my skin so why am i so shy and scared around some of them?

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!