Notifications
Clear all

Please Help!distress!

MemberMember
(@anonymous0909)

Posted : 12/19/2012 12:02 pm

Hi.I am 25 and have had acne ever since I was 17..started on my forehead..and completely managed by topical antibiotics for about 2 years.Then it got bad and then got better sometimes.So I have good years and bad years but acne was bad almost 6 months in ayear and cleared up the rest.My acne is usually on my cheeks, forehead, and almost everywhere but my chin and jawline or where ever hormonal acne presents itself.I thought my acne was not hormonal but my doctor put me on Spiro as the last resort cuz Accutane did nothing for me, even while I was on it!!I am currebtly on spiro 100 mg, 250 mg azithromycin and topical clindamycin.Have been following this for 2 months but no improvements.On the flip side, breakouts appear randomly near my lips, cheeks and broke out on forehead which is usually clear by anitibiotics and topicals!!

My question is, is my acne hormonal sionce I am 25 and still break out like a 18 year old??or is it something else?

Will I see improvement on spiro or am I making it worse by messing up my hormones which probably were never out of sync?

How long before I see improvement?I see breakouts everyday, never hads cystic acne just red pimples and now pustules after spiro.Is this normal and will I get better?

I am just upset cuz lastr year I thought my acne had finbally ended and I was able to have crystal clear beautiful skin just by using an AHA toner!yes...thats all that helped to keep me clear!no topicals and no antibiotics!!!

Please help cuz its wrecking my confidence so much.I feel like I am not pretty anymore!! :(:(

I also had the worst breakup this year and was under extreme stress, still am !what will help me!!pLEASE HELP SPIRO USERS AND OTHERS!!Appreciate all the feedback!!

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 12/19/2012 11:39 pm

Yes your acne can be hormonal no matter where you breakout. Hormonal acne is present at 25 and even into middle age.

Spiro can help,but can take at least 3mos.

Bcp can also help.

Stress may have thrown your hormones out of whack.

I'd stick with the spiro for at least 4mos unless you're having side effects you can't tolerate.

Since ahas worked well for you, tou may want ro add them back in again.

MemberMember
(@havefaith22)

Posted : 12/20/2012 12:10 am

Hey idk if this will be helpful or not but I felt compelled to write to you because I too have NO clue if my acne is hormonal, stress related, diet related idk! I was considering spiro too, but am currently on doxycycline and epiduo, so I wanna give them more time first. Also, I'm 22 female. And I too, experienced a horrible horrible breakup this year and literally like 15 days after us when my acne went to its all time worst! Coincidence? Idk! But do frustrating.. I wish you the best through, and as you know you gotta be patient.. 3 months at minimum!!

MemberMember
(@jennylg)

Posted : 12/21/2012 12:39 pm

Hey! I'm 28 and on month 2 of spiro. I don't think you're throwing your hormones out of whack with that medication, the only thing it's doing is blocking certain receptors of testosterone-inducing hormones. Those are the "bad" kind of hormones for women since those levels spike (before your period, when you're stressed, etc.) they cause your oil glands to pump out waaay too much junk that in turn creates acne. The spiro isn't changing your estrogen levels, it's only blocking "bad" hormones.

"Spironolactone is a potent antagonist of the androgen receptor as well as an inhibitor of androgen production. Due to the antiandrogen effects that result from these actions, it is frequently used to treat a variety of cosmetic conditions in which androgen hormones such as testosterone and dihydrotestosterone play a role, including acne."

I tried using spiro after trying everything else under the sun except accutane. My best friend has been on spiro for 4+ years and her skin is amazing, completely clear and not a single clogged pore. Granted, everyone is different, but I started seeing results after a couple of weeks and have seen a major difference in my skin especially in the last few days. Hang in there, I think stress can play a major role in breakout patterns, at least it does for me, so I try and stay calm and not freak out when a new pimple forms, although I know that's VERY hard to do! I would suggest sticking with the spiro for at least 3 months. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 12/21/2012 5:36 pm

Spiro raises estrogen (as well as muting androgens).

Spironolactone has some estrogenic effects which it mediates via several indirect actions, including the following:

• By acting as an antiandrogen, since androgens suppress both estrogen production and activity.[30][48]

• Displacement of estrogens from sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG).[35] This occurs because spironolactone binds to SHBG at a high rate, as do endogenous estrogens and androgens, but estrogens like estradiol and estrone are more easily displaced than are androgens like testosterone, and so spironolactone blocks relatively more estrogens from interacting with SHBG than it does androgens, resulting in a higher ratio of free estrogens to free androgens.[49]

• Inhibition of the conversion of estradiol to estrone, resulting in an increase in the ratio of estradiol to estrone.[50] This is important because estradiol is approximately 10 times as potent as estrone as an estrogen.[51]

• Enhancement of the rate of peripheral conversion of testosterone to estradiol, resulting in lower testosterone and higher estradiol levels.[36]

MemberMember
(@anonymous0909)

Posted : 12/22/2012 12:06 am

ok all u guys are amazing..! <3

I started taking spiro about 6 weeks back and there is absolutely no oil on my face or scalp.Like some of you..I was compelled to wash my hair every day bcuz of the god damned oil..not anymore!!And I have had no side effects, not serious ones atleast. just some tummy aches and I feel lazy(its just me maybe ;) apart from that, I feel good.

My skin is doing ok, very small pimples and pustules keep popping up and the older ones have left a mark, more a problem than active acne for now!

I hope I am able to clear myself up in another 2-3 months!I am a lil hopeful now though I know things can get bad again!

Thanks and please keep sharing ur progress :) I have spoilt all my life looking for a reason and a cure to this condition.But now I wanna live like I want to, go out and be with people and make more boyfriends! ;)

I hate how I used to be called pretty but dont feel pretty anymore :(

All the best to all of you wonderful girls :)

and also, my back is clear now!!yay!!! :D

so girls, be positive! :)

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 12/22/2012 8:32 pm

ok all u guys are amazing..! <3

I started taking spiro about 6 weeks back and there is absolutely no oil on my face or scalp.Like some of you..I was compelled to wash my hair every day bcuz of the god damned oil..not anymore!!And I have had no side effects, not serious ones atleast. just some tummy aches and I feel lazy(its just me maybe wink.png apart from that, I feel good.

My skin is doing ok, very small pimples and pustules keep popping up and the older ones have left a mark, more a problem than active acne for now!

I hope I am able to clear myself up in another 2-3 months!I am a lil hopeful now though I know things can get bad again!

Thanks and please keep sharing ur progress smile.png I have spoilt all my life looking for a reason and a cure to this condition.But now I wanna live like I want to, go out and be with people and make more boyfriends! wink.png

I hate how I used to be called pretty but dont feel pretty anymore sad.png

All the best to all of you wonderful girls smile.png

and also, my back is clear now!!yay!!! biggrin.png

so girls, be positive! smile.png

Just remember you gotta stay on it. Anytime I stop taking spiro acne comes back. Spiro's safe to use long-term, so no worries. Good luck on your progress.

MemberMember
(@anonymous0909)

Posted : 12/23/2012 2:34 am

hey guys!question..would it help if I stop my antibiotics now..I have 1 active on my face right now..a YUCKY pustule and my cheek feels a lil rough too.I was wondering if its the spiro or my antibiotic and clindamycin coming to action?When do u suggest I leave those two??Is there a chance that I get clear 100% clear skin on spiro or does it just make it better??Have any of you heard of women getting totally clear skin with only spiro?? I see my doc next week and he is very nice..wants me to clear more than I do! LOL

Anyway there are a few pimples here and there, but its loads better, atleast I don't have to cry when I look into the mirror and trust me its bad when u r 25 and all that runs in ur head is ur skin and how sucky it is in comparison to other lucky women!My sister and parents have never had issues, they have lovely clear porcelain skin!I hate to be the unlucky one!!grrr!!

how were u guys on the 2 month mark?? thanks for all the support and suggestions!! appreciate it all :):)