Notifications
Clear all

Painful, Itchy Acne Along Jawline. Please Help

MemberMember
(@vintage-curly)

Posted : 12/17/2012 7:56 pm

hello, i am 19 and i have never experienced acne like this. ive had since i was 9 but my skin has never broken out along my jaw line in such a way and it's making me very upset. my skin is EXTREMELY dry and flakey and it often looks like i have small little white specks all over my jaw/mouth that sometimes look like dozens or small whiteheads. what is that??

please help me, my skin hurtsss and it itches all the time around my jaw line.

i've been using tazorac at night with jojoba oil/cetaphil lotion since august and azcone in the morning.

Photoon12-17-12at742PM2_zps47f9f45b.jpg

Photoon12-17-12at742PM3_zpse8d9d76e.jpg

Photoon12-17-12at741PM5_zps87a64db2.jpg

Photoon12-17-12at741PM3_zpsc270f8b1.jpg

Photoon12-17-12at741PM2_zps73ecd674.jpg

is this hormonal acne? or even acne at alll anymore?? it itches lol. my skin has never itched

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 12/17/2012 9:21 pm

It's difficult to assess your acne online with the quality of pictures you posted, but it may be a combination of contact dermatitis and acne. Retinoids can irritate the skin, especially if you've applied more than usual and/or not using sunscreen. If you've added aczone recently, that may be causing contact dermatitis. Also, you may need to go back to your derm to change your regimen, like adding birth control and/or spironolactone.

MemberMember
(@vintage-curly)

Posted : 12/18/2012 2:07 am

thank you!! i just researched periolal dermatitis and it realllyyy matches what im going through. i have no idea how to fix this. I knew it had to go beyond my normal acne because I have these small sometimes pus filled itchy bumps around my mouth and its spreading to my jaw and cheek. oh boy oh boy, no clue what to do.

and oh darn, i thought these were clear pics lol

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 12/19/2012 9:07 pm

thank you!! i just researched periolal dermatitis and it realllyyy matches what im going through. i have no idea how to fix this. I knew it had to go beyond my normal acne because I have these small sometimes pus filled itchy bumps around my mouth and its spreading to my jaw and cheek. oh boy oh boy, no clue what to do.

You're welcome!

Perioral dermatitis is usually treated with oral/topical antibiotics, sulfur w/ sodium sulfacetamide or azelaic acid. Pretty much the typical anti-acne treatments. Since your skin has gotten worse, I strongly advise you to go back to your derm.

It's probably a combination of my screen, the lighting in the pic and your dark skin. Again, it may be just the pic, but have you started scarring?

MemberMember
(@vintage-curly)

Posted : 12/23/2012 12:20 am

You're welcome!

Perioral dermatitis is usually treated with oral/topical antibiotics, sulfur w/ sodium sulfacetamide or azelaic acid. Pretty much the typical anti-acne treatments. Since your skin has gotten worse, I strongly advise you to go back to your derm.

It's probably a combination of my screen, the lighting in the pic and your dark skin. Again, it may be just the pic, but have you started scarring?

it's probably my camera lol. and yes i have! i've had acne since i was 9 so my skin has been scarring for awhile. there are periods of time when my skin is so clear that you cant even tell im an acne sufferer but now not that time... my itchiness has gone down when i stopped using the tazorac and azcone for a few days. i've added ACV too. but the acne is still here. and i scheduled an appt with the deem

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 12/23/2012 12:56 am

You're welcome!

it's probably my camera lol. and yes i have! i've had acne since i was 9 so my skin has been scarring for awhile. there are periods of time when my skin is so clear that you cant even tell im an acne sufferer but now not that time... my itchiness has gone down when i stopped using the tazorac and azcone for a few days. i've added ACV too. but the acne is still here. and i scheduled an appt with the deem

I'm sorry to hear that your skin has been scarring for a long time. sad.png On the other hand, I am glad your itchiness has lessened.

Does your derm commonly deal with or specializes in treating darker skin types? If also you want to treat hyperpigmentation, rolling and/or icepick scars a derm who frequently treats darker skin can give you the best course of action and avoid any potential mistakes (many lasers for darker skin are bad because it can cause hyper- or hypopigmentation).

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/23/2012 7:10 pm

i had acne like that. i use zinc oxide and it keeps the acne away so no more painful itchy whiteheads. i hated them so much! but i just use zinc oxide overnight now and it dries it out if i have any but i don't get any whiteheads anyway because of the zinc oxide.