Notifications
Clear all

Wrinkling At 17? ...not In My Genetics!

MemberMember
(@bhos)

Posted : 12/17/2012 7:28 pm

My body is prone to easily scaring and healing VERY slowly ever since I was a child. If I slouch in the slightest, the skin on my stomach creases into these defined lines (the same spot every time)

It may be from:

Lack of sleep

Dehydration

Stress

Poor Eye sign (squinting)

but I have FOREHEAD WRINKLES! and I've had (or at least noticed them) for about 3 years!

There are theses three lines that go across my fore head, that look like soft wrinkles, but anytime I make a certain expression for an amount of time they become more and more prominent, and eventually start turning into RED CREASES!

I don't really use harsh skin care (although I did abuse my face when I was in middle school with a pretty harsh clean and clear line {even though I didn't need it then})

I use Cetaphil GENTLE cleaners for my OILY SKIN (isn't oily skin supposed to wrinkle later?) and the Clinique Acne Solutions toner

Body of my parents have the same skin type as be (ridiculously oily and acne prone), but THEY don't even have wrinkles?? my grandparents barely have any???

I don't know what I'm doing wrong! Is it the bp I occasionally use? washing with a washcloth instead of my hands? Putting on mascara with my eyes opened wide? I occasionally squeeze my skin but not even in that area?

I recently discovered that I'm NOT supposed to remove excess eye-makeup with the toner (oops) so I've stopped doing that.

Do I seriously need to start looking into purchasing Anti-Aging care? Or is there something wrong with my regimen (which I've been using for about as long as the wrinkles). I was looking into purchasing the Clarisonic for myself but would that further damage my skin?

It's very very very hard having to be self-conscious about not only my acne but WRINKLES at this age. I hate having to use a primer to combat the wrinkles, but only furthering the acne. And having to watch which products I buy to prevent my acne because they might be to harsh on 'pre maturing skin'

ANY insight would be helpful. Also I'm aware that "Dan says bp doesn't cause wrinkles."

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 12/17/2012 9:07 pm

Forehead wrinkles are normal -- they're "dynamic" wrinkles, meaning they form due to muscle and skin movement, like the wrinkles in the palms of your hands and "laugh lines".

It's a myth that oily skin prevents you from getting wrinkles. Wrinkles are a result from collagen and elastin loss (among other proteins) from aging, UV radiation, and heavy smoking. Genetics can make you prone to earlier wrinkles.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 12/17/2012 9:31 pm

Eat more super anti oxidants/ vitamin E, C

MemberMember
(@terrorfirmer)

Posted : 12/17/2012 10:18 pm

Use of Salicyclic acid and particularly Dermarolling is proven to have good effects on wrinkles, though at 17, I'd bet a years salary that you're over-dramatizing the whole episode! I don't mean that in a mean way, not at all, but I do believe that at 17, you probably look as youthful as 17 year olds should look, unless you have pictures to prove otherwise. If its any consolation, it's worth mentioning that people are vastly different, and a few creases are hardly impactive on your image. My ex, her sister was your age, and her friend had some unusual wrinkles for a girl her age, but let me tell you, she was incredibly beautiful and at the end of the day, she still looked her age. Trust me - these imperfections, you're your own worst enemy, and at best, others perceive these flaws at about 10% of what you percieve them to me.

MemberMember
(@bhos)

Posted : 12/21/2012 1:04 pm

Thanks I've been trying to obtain more vitamins (vitamin B-complex, biotion, B12) because I'm a vegetarian. I thought vitiman B would help with that skin elasticity but I guess it was the wrong one!

Use of Salicyclic acid and particularly Dermarolling is proven to have good effects on wrinkles, though at 17, I'd bet a years salary that you're over-dramatizing the whole episode! I don't mean that in a mean way, not at all, but I do believe that at 17, you probably look as youthful as 17 year olds should look, unless you have pictures to prove otherwise. If its any consolation, it's worth mentioning that people are vastly different, and a few creases are hardly impactive on your image. My ex, her sister was your age, and her friend had some unusual wrinkles for a girl her age, but let me tell you, she was incredibly beautiful and at the end of the day, she still looked her age. Trust me - these imperfections, you're your own worst enemy, and at best, others perceive these flaws at about 10% of what you percieve them to me.

By 'good effects' do you mean impacted it negatively OR good as in resolved??

I probably am dramatizing them!

Especially when I wrote this. When I pick my skin I tend to move my face muscles more, making the red stand out dramatically in the creases AS WELL as the inflammation from the spots I just picked, making my face look like a war-zone with lines.

I guess when I think of it, they don't really make me look much older, as they're just creases and not exactly sagging skin.

Thanks for the new perspective on them!

MemberMember
(@myadultacnecure)

Posted : 01/17/2013 10:02 am

I never realized I have wrinkles around my eyes until I was 18. My boyfriend and I were talking and he stopped me, "Why do you have wrinkles at your age? Is it because your white?" I was shocked, becaus I had never noticed wrinkles on my face before, nor thought of them. He then went on to adamentally point them out until I started crying. Of course, he also would point out my acne and I soon found out that pointing out flaws is considered a way of saying "we're getting close" in Chinese culture (in my experience dating and living with multiple male and female Chinese...I also live "near" China now [HK]).

Anyway, I spent 2 years of my life self-conscious about my wrinkly face after that point. I had always been mistaken for older than my age, and began worrying that my "eye wrinkles" had been there longer than I thought, and that was the reason why. I worried that in a few years time I would look even worse. I began applying sunblock obsessively for a while. It was only recently that I realized, "Wait a minute, I can't look that old...and it has been 4 years and I don't look any worse".

I realized some patterns:

-Many (maybe half) of my peers (18-24) have eye/forehead wrinkles

-Many of my highschool classmates had eye/forehead wrinkles during highschool (Looked through old photos)

-The people who thought I looked older were usually OLDER people (They aren't surrounded by younger people, so have a harder time telling age and probably expect the majority of people they meet to be in their age range).

-Despite people thinking I was older, the guys asking me on dates/girls asking to hangout were almost all around my own age.

-If 35 year olds think I am 30, then why would a 21 year old think I am 20 (I'm 22) -- perception.

You are young, vegeterian (that's great -- I'm trying to get there), and unless everybody your age avoids you or treats you like their mom/teacher...don't worry! ;)

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 01/17/2013 1:15 pm

Pretty much everyone above the age of 16 has those fine creases on their foreheads. Those are not 'wrinkles'. They from due to the facial expressions everyone makes, it's normal. Yes, when you reach 30-35, they'll start turning into deeper lines then eventually wrinkles, but I seriously doubt those lines on your forehead look anything like a 30yr old's.

A lot of people when these lines first appear get very worried that they're wrinkling early, but it doesn't mean that. Actually, if look very closely, you'll find these very thin lines going from your nose to the edges of your mouth. They're due to muscle movement too, like when you speak, laugh, frown, etc. They form because the skin is crinkled that often that there's an imprint from an early age. Same with the lines on your forehead.

It's true that the quality of your skin will only go downhill once you reach the age of 20-21, but it's a very slow process, you have nothing to worry about at the moment.

As long as you protect your skin from the sun with sunscreen, keep a good skincare routine in general and exfoliate regularly your skin will look just fine well into your 50s. At your age anti-oxidants would be something to look into, in serums or lotions, if you are REALLY worried that you're getting wrinkles.

But even if you just moisturise properly and never skip sunscreen your skin will remain youthful for very long. Approximately 80% of skin ageing is due to unprotected sun exposure and the other 20% are genetics. If your parents' skin looks good when they're old, there's a high chance yours will look fine too, as long as you take care of it.

By the way, if your eyesight is poor, you want to get glasses/contact lenses. Squinting is a sure way to get crow's feet 10 years early.