Notifications
Clear all

Parents Won't Let Me Get A Cortisone Shot!

MemberMember
(@bookworm622)

Posted : 12/17/2012 9:07 am

Hi All.

So for the past two months I have been on a tretinion cream .%, doxycycline and have recently added Ovace face wash. My face has been clearing up... except for these three cystic pimples on my face. I called the derm, they told me to get cortisone shots (I was relieved to finally have a solution to these pesky bastards) and them my parents informed me they didn't want me to do that... because they didn't like my derm...

And now I feel just as depressed as I was when I saw the cysts forming and develop. I finally thought I had a solution!

Now, what would you all suggest that I do to get rid of these? I currently bought Acnomel cream and have been hot compressing for three days. They stopped hurting but they have just formed hard bumps on my face :( Any more suggestions?

MemberMember
(@mammasay)

Posted : 12/17/2012 11:10 am

Unfortunately, Cortisone shots are the only thing that has helped my cysts go away faster. Why won't your parents let you get them? I know you said they don't like your derm, but I don't understand what that has to do with anything. Go to another derm and get them, or try to make your parents understand that this is something every dermatologist does. It just sounds like they're being unreasonable and nonsensical. I've been to several dermatologists in my life. All of them do cortisone shots for cysts. It's standard practice. They're also pretty hard to mess up, if they think there's some risk. Would your parents let you go to a different doctor for the shots if they don't like the one you're seeing now?

MemberMember
(@bookworm622)

Posted : 12/17/2012 10:16 pm

Well, the other derm that I do also go to isn't in the office for the following two weeks! And they are dead set against me getting these shots and want me to just put warm compresses on them until they go away...

:( It has really been getting to me. All my mother says is to stop focusing on my face and to move on. She says i use enough stuff on my face and take pills, so I shouldn't need the shots..

Well, the other derm that I do also go to isn't in the office for the following two weeks! And they are dead set against me getting these shots and want me to just put warm compresses on them until they go away...

:( It has really been getting to me. All my mother says is to stop focusing on my face and to move on. She says i use enough stuff on my face and take pills, so I shouldn't need the shots..

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 12/21/2012 6:45 pm

sad.png It has really been getting to me. All my mother says is to stop focusing on my face and to move on. She says i use enough stuff on my face and take pills, so I shouldn't need the shots..

sad.png It has really been getting to me. All my mother says is to stop focusing on my face and to move on. She says i use enough stuff on my face and take pills, so I shouldn't need the shots..

Is it because of the cost? Many insurances don't cover cortisone shots or only cover a portion of them. Many derms charge a pretty penny for cortisone shots because it qualifies as "minor surgery" and the risks are higher. I know that my derm won't let any of the nurses do the shots, he has to do them because you risk scarring the patient further. Your parents could be paying $200 per shot. You might have to shop around and find a doctor who will give them to you at a discounted price or offer to pay for them yourself.

I had to pay for all my acne meds and visits when I was a teenager, if you're serious about taking care of your acne, it can be done.

MemberMember
(@steamroom)

Posted : 12/23/2012 11:39 pm

Don't do it.

It is very likely that you will have a permanent indent where the injection took place. There are also other negative side effects that may happen.

Your best bet is to ice it and do not touch it. My cysts (now I don't even have acne anymore, my skin is perfect, but I do get the occasional cyst every 3 months) typically do not scar if I do not touch them. But they are annoying as hell.

MemberMember
(@cna7)

Posted : 12/27/2012 4:21 pm

Although Cortisone shots are pretty much the answer. I would suggest trying

http://www.reneerouleau.com/AntiCystTreatment.aspx it apparently works pretty well. I have a bottle myself but have not had to use it (hoping I won't have to...but just incase). I just had two cortisone shots yesterday, and prior to that hadn't had a cyst since early March. But if you parents can help you purchase the product maybe it will do wonders for you. Keep us updated.

MemberMember
(@tokidoki)

Posted : 01/07/2013 7:08 pm

You could try a spot treatment of tea tree oil or lavender oil. Have had some shrink considerably after. Taking turmeric may bring them to a head. You could try advil to bring the inflammation down too but you def don't want to take too much of that stuff.