Notifications
Clear all

Vitamin B5 Hairloss- Cured (Pictures)

MemberMember
(@itsoveryes)

Posted : 12/16/2012 3:44 pm

DO NOT TAKE B5. B5 CAUSES MASSIVE HAIRLOSS.

Regime:

1. Nizoral Shampoo every other day, leave in hair 10 minutes.
2. Propecia .05 everyday. Obtain Propecia from doctor and dissolve 1 pill in 20mL of 75% proof alcohol (ex: bacardi 151). Take 1ml via dropper everyday. You will see results in 3-4 months.

*Girls can NOT take propecia.

example of someone helped

"I'm also 24 and about 5 years ago I started taking massive doses of B5 for my skin...But within three months, I'd seen not only a massive drop in the speed and thickness of hair growth...but I was shedding upwards of 50 hairs per day. My dermatologist suggested I get on Propecia, and I did. I discontinued the RetinA and B5 supplements shortly thereafter, as I was worried more about my hair then my face. My hair continued to shed for the next 3-4 months, until I had hit NW2, with hair that was thinner and a darker blonde. At that point, the shedding stopped and hasn't occurred since, but I have not experienced much (if any) regrowth."

~KenF

MemberMember
(@phillyeagles91)

Posted : 01/06/2013 12:41 am

Can I get a progress update? Is your hair still not shedding? Any regrowth as of yet?

I took b5 for like a little less than a month at 5-7 grams and experienced crazy shedding to my normally thick hair. Its still continued for 3 months and counting which is pretty depressing, so if this works, GOD BLESS YOU.

MemberMember
(@itsoveryes)

Posted : 01/10/2013 5:04 pm

Oh yea, I still take the atomidine when I remember. Hopes this helps everyone.

It must be L-cysteine,

NOT, NOT, NOT

N-ACETYL CYSTEINE

post-183754-0-96449800-1357855208_thumb.

post-183754-0-17470500-1357855216_thumb.

post-183754-0-83740500-1357855224_thumb.

post-183754-0-86499100-1357855233_thumb.

MemberMember
(@phillyeagles91)

Posted : 01/10/2013 6:27 pm

*Mods, can you please add the word "pictures" to this thread title, I don't know how to do it.

95% hair growth. Hair dryer then it used to be, I use jojoba oil instead of gel when styling to counter that.

Back on B5 for the past 2 weeks, no hair shedding at all.

4grams B5/day. 3grams cysteine. (i found cysteine vastly superior to methionine, methionine adds an extra step)

B complex, tablespoon brewer's yeast which contains trace amount of cysteine, methionine

In addition I only use the crude oil once a week a now since last week.

Will post pictures I took right now below.

Awesome thanks for the reply. How big of a difference between methionine and cysteine is there in terms of stopping your hairloss? I'm only asking because I already ordered the methionine. I'm not looking to take B5 anymore, I just want the hair loss it caused to stop. I took 5-7.5 grams for around 2.5 weeks and then stopped. What dose do you recommend for me? Thanks so much for the help

MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 01/10/2013 10:36 pm

I been taking b5 6g for 6 weeks now o haven't experience any hairloss that's it mean I'm safe?

MemberMember
(@itsoveryes)

Posted : 01/10/2013 10:52 pm

On 1/10/2013 at 6:27 PM, phillyeagles91 said:
On 1/10/2013 at 4:44 PM, itsoveryes said:

*Mods, can you please add the word "pictures" to this thread title, I don't know how to do it.

95% hair growth. Hair dryer then it used to be, I use jojoba oil instead of gel when styling to counter that.

4grams B5/day. 3grams cysteine. (i found cysteine vastly superior to methionine, methionine adds an extra step)

B complex, tablespoon brewer's yeast which contains trace amount of cysteine, methionine

Awesome thanks for the reply. How big of a difference between methionine and cysteine is there in terms of stopping your hairloss? I'm only asking because I already ordered the methionine. I'm not looking to take B5 anymore, I just want the hair loss it caused to stop. I took 5-7.5 grams for around 2.5 weeks and then stopped. What dose do you recommend for me? Thanks so much for the help

I would say cysteine is twice as effective as methionine. In addition you have to cycle methionine, while cysteine is recommended to be used every day by NAS (link below)

When I went from methionine to l-cysteine, I stayed at 1.5g. I weigh 150lbs so if you are closer to 200 you would bump it to 2g. The National Academy of Science says cysteine intake is based on protein intake, so if you eat a lot of meat or are taking whey protein to workout, I would consider bumping it another .5g.

[Removed link]

Don't forget the crude oil. I fogot to mention I ordered it from baar.com. One bottle basically lasts forever.

On 1/10/2013 at 10:36 PM, nakedsmurf said:

I been taking b5 6g for 6 weeks now o haven't experience any hairloss that's it mean I'm safe?

No, many people take b5 for months before experiencing hair loss. It simply means you have a higher reserve of cysteine than someone else, once it is depleted you will experience hair loss. Buy some L-cysteine and take it in a 1:2 ratio. 3g L-cysteine: 6g B5.

Once you are 100% clear, you can lower your dose of both cysteine and b5, they complement each other.

Kong liked
MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 01/10/2013 11:51 pm

On 1/10/2013 at 10:52 PM, itsoveryes said:

I would say cysteine is twice as effective as methionine. In addition you have to cycle methionine, while cysteine is recommended to be used every day by NAS (link below)

When I went from methionine to l-cysteine, I stayed at 1.5g. I weigh 150lbs so if you are closer to 200 you would bump it to 2g. The National Academy of Science says cysteine intake is based on protein intake, so if you eat a lot of meat or are taking whey protein to workout, I would consider bumping it another .5g.

[Removed link]

Don't forget the crude oil. I fogot to mention I ordered it from baar.com. One bottle basically lasts forever.

No, many people take b5 for months before experiencing hair loss. It simply means you have a higher reserve of cysteine than someone else, once it is depleted you will experience hair loss. Buy some L-cysteine and take it in a 1:2 ratio. 3g L-cysteine: 6g B5.

Once you are 100% clear, you can lower your dose of both cysteine and b5, they complement each other.

Do I take it separately or together ? Thanks

MemberMember
(@itsoveryes)

Posted : 01/11/2013 8:01 am

On 1/10/2013 at 11:51 PM, nakedsmurf said:
On 1/10/2013 at 10:52 PM, itsoveryes said:

[Removed link]

Do I take it separately or together ? Thanks

Together. B5 combines with the L-cysteine to form coenzyme A.

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 01/11/2013 9:02 am

I haven't had any hairloss while taking B5. I was told to take it with L-carnitine. That bottle's almost up, should I get L-cysteine instead now? Even without the hairloss thing since I'm not too worried about it, does L-cysteine better boost the B5 effects than L-carnitine?

Thanks

MemberMember
(@itsoveryes)

Posted : 01/13/2013 11:50 am

I haven't had any hairloss while taking B5. I was told to take it with L-carnitine. That bottle's almost up, should I get L-cysteine instead now? Even without the hairloss thing since I'm not too worried about it, does L-cysteine better boost the B5 effects than L-carnitine?

Thanks

B5 needs cysteine to make coenzyme A. If there is no l-cysteine, much of the b5 gets peed out by you while waiting to access the cysteine from your liver. By taking l-cysteine much less of the b5 goes to waste so you should be able to get the same affect with less b5. In addition you won't be depleting your cysteine reserves which is what leads to hair loss.

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 01/14/2013 10:31 pm

So I'm sitting here rubbing my head and watching a dozen or so hairs fall out and realizing, "holy shit, it is true". My L-cysteine should be here this week. :P

MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 01/15/2013 2:10 am

So I'm sitting here rubbing my head and watching a dozen or so hairs fall out and realizing, "holy shit, it is true". My L-cysteine should be here this week. :P

How many grams you take?

MemberMember
(@itsoveryes)

Posted : 01/15/2013 8:08 am

Take L-cysteine:b5 in a 2:1 dose, NOT a 1:2 dose. You need to build back up your L-cysteine reserves before going on the maintenance dose. If the hair loss gets worse you should consider stopping b5 for 2 weeks and taking l-cysteine by itself to build back reserves faster.

MemberMember
(@itsoveryes)

Posted : 01/21/2013 10:56 am

One week update. Hair continues to regrows, 0% shedding.

Body acne 100% clear, face 1 active spot left.

Same regime as the one posted on Jan 10th + egg white/lemon mask (red marks)+mesocopper (red marks).

I take b5 powder+L-cysteine powder, put them both in a large water bottle and drink it through out the day so it is always in my system. Someone asked on another thread where I buy my stufff from so I posted links here also.

b5 powder-

[Removed link]

L-cysteine powder-

https://www.amazon.com/L-Cysteine-Powder-100gram-3-53-oz/dp/B005IDBQL6/

crude oil-

https://www.baar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Product_Code=9670&Screen=PROD

MemberMember
(@pjjordan)

Posted : 01/21/2013 2:06 pm

Thanks itsoveryes. 2 years ago I took between 3 and 6 grams a day of b5 for 2 weeks and experienced crazy hair shedding which has not stopped (my skin did improved dramatically in those 2 weeks though). I can't tell if the hair shedding has slowed down, but definitely not completely and my hair gets worse everyday. Three days ago I started 4 grams of L-Cysteine per day and will keep everyone updated on my progress. I also started brewers years and a b-complex.

Itsoveryes, how much b5 did you take and for how long before you experienced hair shedding? And for how long did you shed before you started L-Cysteine? Can you tell us a little about your story? Thanks.

Thank you so much for this post. It is the most hope I have had in 2 years to restore my hair.

MemberMember
(@patientx)

Posted : 01/21/2013 8:34 pm

I've read recommendations to take L-Carnitine with B5. Is it necessary to take L-Carnitine?

MemberMember
(@itsoveryes)

Posted : 01/21/2013 10:19 pm

I've read recommendations to take L-Carnitine with B5. Is it necessary to take L-Carnitine?

It isn't necessary. L-carnitine acts as a booster to b5, but L-cysteine already performs a similar function by increasing the bioavailability of b5. The recommendations to take L-Carnitine are based on an article by Dr. Dach so it is up to you, but L-carnitine has nothing to do with protection from hair loss.

MemberMember
(@itsoveryes)

Posted : 01/21/2013 10:40 pm

Thanks itsoveryes. 2 years ago I took between 3 and 6 grams a day of b5 for 2 weeks and experienced crazy hair shedding which has not stopped (my skin did improved dramatically in those 2 weeks though). I can't tell if the hair shedding has slowed down, but definitely not completely and my hair gets worse everyday. Three days ago I started 4 grams of L-Cysteine per day and will keep everyone updated on my progress. I also started brewers years and a b-complex.

Itsoveryes, how much b5 did you take and for how long before you experienced hair shedding? And for how long did you shed before you started L-Cysteine? Can you tell us a little about your story? Thanks.

Thank you so much for this post. It is the most hope I have had in 2 years to restore my hair.

I started off on 2g and went as high as 10g. Then I slowly tapered down as I was 100% clear. This lasted for three months which is when I started shedding. I stopped b5, but the hair loss continued for about five weeks. Then I started the regime mentioned in the original post.

I do want to encourage you to try the crude oil since that is what I also used with the L-cysteine. I know it isn't as scientific as L-cysteine, but right now I am using an egg white/lemon mask mentioned on this board, and it is doing wonders for my red marks even though I don't know the science behind it. I hope this regime works for you and others.

MemberMember
(@phillyeagles91)

Posted : 01/22/2013 4:06 pm

Please let me know if you make any progress! My situation is pretty identical to yours, i barely took it for any amount of time and the shedding went CRAZY and has continued for over 4 months. I've been taking methionine 1.5g for 6 days, but no luck in stopping the shedding. I ordered L-Cysteine and its on its way.

I'm waiting on using the crude oil like the OP says to use, but if all else fails I'll try that as well. I'm assuming Cystine is all I need though. Wish me luck and keep me updated!

MemberMember
(@pjjordan)

Posted : 01/24/2013 9:37 pm

Hey here is a link. Someone back in 2005 used the coenzyme A/cysteine theory and cured his hairloss. He supplemented with methionine to stop his hairloss and then switched to n-acetyl cysteine and pantethine which he said has improved his thickness and growth. Oizo is his name:

"to clarify, i was on pantothenic acid for nine months and had to stop due to hair loss. i then picked up pantethine at 900mg/day, thinking my hairloss would stop, and it didnt. it slowed a bit, but this was probably due to the fact that i wasnt taking enough panethine to equal the b5 i was on previously. after six months of being on pantethine, i then started the methionine at 3 pills a day..the equivalent of 1.5g. the brand is now, and each pill also comes with b6 in the form of pyridoxine..i believe it helps with absorbability. when i buy more methionine im going to switch to a brand without any b6 as i know too much of the vitamin can aggravate acne.

as for the quality of my hair while on methio, all i can say is it seemed to work really fast - im sure you would notice a difference in two to three weeks max. keep in mind i only used methionine for a month and could no longer see my scalp after that. while on b5 and pantethine, the actual girth of the hairs falling out seemed to actually decrease. this reversed with methionine. the number of hairs falling out in the shower decreased to maybe 2 as compared with upwards of 10. i seemed to be growing newer, stronger hair as well. i encourage you to research the methionine/b5 and coenzyme deal."

"heres my take so far: n-acetyl cysteine has definitely improved my hair thickness and growth. it is the precursor to cysteine, the nonessential amino acid in the body that along with pantothenic acid (pantethine) and atp, form coenzyme a, which is what our bodies use to metabolize all those lipids and keep our skin clear (im reposting this info bc some of my previous posts have been removed). a large percentage of hair consists of cysteine, and i would imagine that continued supplementation of b5 will result in the 'sucking' of cysteine from the hair follicle/strand to keep up with the pace of all the b5.

i started taking a few capsules of NAC a few weeks ago, along with pantethine, and was really amazed at the quality of my hair. the interesting thing here is that when i stopped pantethine and continued with the NAC, the benefits of NAC became negligible. that part really stumps me. also, when i stop supplementing altogether, the hairloss ensues. i would think that my hair would normalize with enough cysteine stores in the body.

well everyone, good luck.....!

oizo"

[Removed link]

MemberMember
(@phillyeagles91)

Posted : 01/25/2013 3:31 am

On 1/24/2013 at 9:37 PM, pjjordan said:

Hey here is a link. Someone back in 2005 used the coenzyme A/cysteine theory and cured his hairloss. He supplemented with methionine to stop his hairloss and then switched to n-acetyl cysteine and pantethine which he said has improved his thickness and growth. Oizo is his name:

"to clarify, i was on pantothenic acid for nine months and had to stop due to hair loss. i then picked up pantethine at 900mg/day, thinking my hairloss would stop, and it didnt. it slowed a bit, but this was probably due to the fact that i wasnt taking enough panethine to equal the b5 i was on previously. after six months of being on pantethine, i then started the methionine at 3 pills a day..the equivalent of 1.5g. the brand is now, and each pill also comes with b6 in the form of pyridoxine..i believe it helps with absorbability. when i buy more methionine im going to switch to a brand without any b6 as i know too much of the vitamin can aggravate acne.

as for the quality of my hair while on methio, all i can say is it seemed to work really fast - im sure you would notice a difference in two to three weeks max. keep in mind i only used methionine for a month and could no longer see my scalp after that. while on b5 and pantethine, the actual girth of the hairs falling out seemed to actually decrease. this reversed with methionine. the number of hairs falling out in the shower decreased to maybe 2 as compared with upwards of 10. i seemed to be growing newer, stronger hair as well. i encourage you to research the methionine/b5 and coenzyme deal."

"heres my take so far: n-acetyl cysteine has definitely improved my hair thickness and growth. it is the precursor to cysteine, the nonessential amino acid in the body that along with pantothenic acid (pantethine) and atp, form coenzyme a, which is what our bodies use to metabolize all those lipids and keep our skin clear (im reposting this info bc some of my previous posts have been removed). a large percentage of hair consists of cysteine, and i would imagine that continued supplementation of b5 will result in the 'sucking' of cysteine from the hair follicle/strand to keep up with the pace of all the b5.

i started taking a few capsules of NAC a few weeks ago, along with pantethine, and was really amazed at the quality of my hair. the interesting thing here is that when i stopped pantethine and continued with the NAC, the benefits of NAC became negligible. that part really stumps me. also, when i stop supplementing altogether, the hairloss ensues. i would think that my hair would normalize with enough cysteine stores in the body.

well everyone, good luck.....!

oizo"

[Removed link]

interedasting

MemberMember
(@phillyeagles91)

Posted : 01/29/2013 5:57 pm

any updates? hair still falling out :/

2 weeks in supplementing with 1.5-2g methionine and no B5 for 4 months already

MemberMember
(@itsoveryes)

Posted : 01/31/2013 12:49 pm

Nothing to report on the hair front, everything remains normal. On the acne front after 3 months of paleo, I went and ate an entire loaf of bread. Massive break out. I have now added another gram of b5 (5g total) and 3 450mg pantheine tablets a day. Hopefully this will allow me to be less strict on my diet with no acne. Cysteine remains the same at 3g.

Regarding NAC vs L-cysteine, NAC is xenobiotic while L-cysteine isn't, so it really is up to you what to take. I found a cheaper place to buy the L-cysteine and the company I buy b5 from also sells powder NAC, here is the link.

[Removed link]

(NAC)

I can't post the second link so google l-cysteine and nutrabio.

Now the healthboard topic is very interesting as OIZO follows the exact same path I took, crazy right. He is a male who experienced hairloss from b5. He then started methionine 1.5g as did I. After a few weeks he switched to NAC ~2g (I switched to l-cysteine ~3g). He then added pantethine (not sure how much) (I added b5 4g).

Look at what he says "i started taking a few capsules of NAC a few weeks ago, along with pantethine, and was really amazed at the quality of my hair. the interesting thing here is that when i stopped pantethine and continued with the NAC, the benefits of NAC became negligible. that part really stumps me. also, when i stop supplementing altogether, the hairloss ensues." OIZO

I have no idea why b5/panthethine would help cysteine in regards to our hair, but maybe it does. So for those who want to follow the exact path me and OIZO took.

1. Take methionine 1.5g (primer?) for a few weeks.

2. Switch to 2-3g of NAC or L-cysteine

3. Add 4g b5 or pantethine 900-1200g?

*In addition, I did paleo+crude oil. OIZO did liver flushes. Some type of holistic program is no doubt beneficial.

MemberMember
(@phillyeagles91)

Posted : 01/31/2013 8:40 pm

On 1/31/2013 at 12:49 PM, itsoveryes said:

Nothing to report on the hair front, everything remains normal. On the acne front after 3 months of paleo, I went and ate an entire loaf of bread. Massive break out. I have now added another gram of b5 (5g total) and 3 450mg pantheine tablets a day. Hopefully this will allow me to be less strict on my diet with no acne. Cysteine remains the same at 3g.

Regarding NAC vs L-cysteine, NAC is xenobiotic while L-cysteine isn't, so it really is up to you what to take. I found a cheaper place to buy the L-cysteine and the company I buy b5 from also sells powder NAC, here is the link.

[Removed link]

(NAC)

I can't post the second link so google l-cysteine and nutrabio.

Now the healthboard topic is very interesting as OIZO follows the exact same path I took, crazy right. He is a male who experienced hairloss from b5. He then started methionine 1.5g as did I. After a few weeks he switched to NAC ~2g (I switched to l-cysteine ~3g). He then added pantethine (not sure how much) (I added b5 4g).

Look at what he says "i started taking a few capsules of NAC a few weeks ago, along with pantethine, and was really amazed at the quality of my hair. the interesting thing here is that when i stopped pantethine and continued with the NAC, the benefits of NAC became negligible. that part really stumps me. also, when i stop supplementing altogether, the hairloss ensues." OIZO

I have no idea why b5/panthethine would help cysteine in regards to our hair, but maybe it does. So for those who want to follow the exact path me and OIZO took.

1. Take methionine 1.5g (primer?) for a few weeks.

2. Switch to 2-3g of NAC or L-cysteine

3. Add 4g b5 or pantethine 900-1200g?

*In addition, I did paleo+crude oil. OIZO did liver flushes. Some type of holistic program is no doubt beneficial.

How beneficial do you think the atomidine was in this whole puzzle? Also did the hairloss completely stop with methionine for you? Or did it stop after you started cysteine?

My plan of action is as follows...if by week 3 methionine does not do anything, I'm going to switch to cysteine for a week and if that does nothing, I'll try the atomidine 7 on and 7 off for a week along with the cysteine for another week. Honestly I'm too scared to touch pantethine or b5 or anything like that again after what it did to my hair, so I'm kinda worried that apparently you have to keep taking it to reap the benefits of NAC/cystine?

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 02/01/2013 4:05 pm

My face started getting oily again after a few weeks of B5 and L-carnitine.

Switched to B5 and L-cysteine, and the oiliness went away.

It's been a couple weeks now and the oiliness is back.

I don't know if I should increase or decrease my dosages, or play with the ratio, or drop it altogether.