Notifications
Clear all

Starting Ortho-Tri Cyclen Lo

MemberMember
(@cittycat)

Posted : 12/16/2012 11:34 am

So i am now 16 years old, have had acne since about age 10. I have been on different antibiotics (minocycline, clindamycin, and currently doxycycline) for probably about 5 years and used a bunch of different topicals (retin-a, benzaclin, currently using tazorac and duac) but even with all this i still get breakouts all over my back, some on my chest, and around my jawline and chin. I recently started taking vitamin A, Vitamin Bcomplex, and Vitamin D supplements in hopes of clearing my skin but i have seen little improvement so i finally convinced my mom to let me go on birth control for my acne. My derm prescribed me Ortho-tri cyclen lo and told me to start taking it the first Sunday after my period starts.. So here is my dilemma: I went to the derm on Wednesday, my period had started the Saturday prior to my visit. Is it okay to take the first pill today? (it is now sunday one week and one day since the start of my period) or should i wait until my next period?

MemberMember
(@cittycat)

Posted : 12/17/2012 10:22 pm

Hellooo anyone?

MemberMember
(@katelibby)

Posted : 01/09/2013 5:06 pm

My daughter started out on ortho tri cyclen lo to help her acne and regulate periods. The orth lo was horrible for her acne. It made it 10x worse. She took it for 5 whole months and every month it got worse and worse. She switched to ortho regular and the acne starte clearing immediately. Her derm explained to me that ortho lo does not have enough estrogen to help with acne. Ortho regular is the one approved for acne, not the lo. The studies were done on the regular. My derm likes Yasmin and yaz the best for acne though. However, ortho regular cleared my acne, my daughters acne, and a good fried of hers. I would switch to the regular.