Notifications
Clear all

Did Doxy Help Anybody? For Good....!) No, Really, Guys!?

MemberMember
(@aadaastra)

Posted : 12/15/2012 6:33 pm

Hi, guys, i am new to the forum. i just registered but i have been reading this board for quite some time now. So, i have acne since 12-13... i am 28 now. not as bad as when i was younger.. but you can get the idea that me and my acne are like best buddies now)) i always thought that "this" period of my life will pass and my face would get clear. but never happened. BP does not work for me, i can't stand the side effects of this constant burn on my face. tried tons of stuff on my face. Diet helps,now low glycemic food and healthy and stuff. I am on Doxy right now.. first time actually in my life i am on the antibiotics for acne specifically, i never believed they worked for good. So as a final step i have accutane.. but.... Do you know people who know people for whom DOXY made wonders? Did it actually help at least anybody?? but for good. i read the boards and everybody here thinks that doxy is a temporary action. Or maybe the ones who got cured are just enjoying their lives and not wondering the acne forums any more? btw, after a week doxy helps...

MemberMember
(@londoncat8)

Posted : 12/15/2012 8:21 pm

doxy does not help.... well did not help me.:)

MemberMember
(@aadaastra)

Posted : 12/16/2012 8:08 am

not even while you were taking it?

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 12/16/2012 11:22 am

Doxy made my skin go from mild acne to severe acne :( I personally do not recommend it.

MemberMember
(@aadaastra)

Posted : 12/16/2012 3:26 pm

jesus... my skin just looks so awesome now) i am enjoying myself like crazy! i realize that it will return but so far it feels amazing. all the acne are drying out.. it is an amazing feeling...

MemberMember
(@londoncat8)

Posted : 12/16/2012 9:04 pm

No, it actually made no difference whatsoever. But I had severe acne so maybe if yours is not that bad it can help:)

MemberMember
(@aadaastra)

Posted : 12/17/2012 12:41 pm

No, it actually made no difference whatsoever. But I had severe acne so maybe if yours is not that bad it can help:)

Yeah, mine are mild to moderate at times now. I got a new painful one today, but anyway i will stick to doxy so far, it definitely helps while i am on it. thanks

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 12/17/2012 3:28 pm

i took doxy for a year and had excellent results i think i had 1 cyst in that time and no other acne. it gave me such a good year and helped my skin heal from the previous scarring that i had. after a year i started to get a few cysts here and there but nothing major so i slowly weaned myself off of it. i was off it for a few weeks when i had a bad breakout so my derm put me on a maintenance dose of 50mg. i was fine for 7 months then got dermatitis and they upped me back to 200mg a day. i started getting cystic acne again in november and my derm switched me to zithromax and i keep getting cysts like crazy. i thought the doxy stopped working but it must have been doing something because i have broken out more in the last few weeks than i have in my life. ugh!!! i think it screwed up my gut though because i have tons of food allergies now that i dont think i ever had before.

MemberMember
(@bhos)

Posted : 12/17/2012 6:16 pm

I started taking x2 a day of 100 mg Doxy Hyclate about a year ago. I had mild acne on my face and severe acne on my chest and back and upper arms.

It cleared up my skin within 2 weeks (almost completely! although I have to admit I went tanning about 3 times to help with the body acne).

The only thing is that within 5 days of taking it I experienced my first every cysts (3!). They weren't really noticeable but I could feel them growing like a plateau and they HURT!

Other than that there were no issues and my skin became perfectly clear with even less clogged pores (which had been the real only problem about my face)

but AS SOON as I stopped taking them twice a day... and then once a day.. and then once every few days (slowly trying to wean myself off of it after 6 months) my face EXPLODED

I've never had cysts before those initial ones, and the non-existant 'mild' acne I had before was now severe and almost pulsing with irritation

I didn't know what to do so I just didn't take it for about two months. Nothing was progressing so I just took it. Had my initial painful cysts appear, and then my acne subdued again.

I've been on and off it based on how religiously I take them.

I was prescribed by my regular doctor (not dermatologist) so she didn't exactly check up on me or give me a timeline of what was supposed to happen. She didn't recommend that I stop taking them (although she did say that 11 months of pills would be more than enough)

So, in summary, NO. They are not a long time fix; but instead a cheap shortcut that ultimately made everything worse.

I'm currently still taking the supply to this day until I make an appointment with a real derm. Because I'm actually scared of how severe my face will become if I go off of them for any amount of time. It seems as though the acne on my back disappeared when I was taking the antibiotics (by it's bacteria killing process), but migrated to my face (my body acne has never been as severe as it was previous to taking this)

Sorry if this is a little rambly! This is my first post! Hope I gave you at least some useful information

MemberMember
(@aadaastra)

Posted : 05/14/2013 5:54 am

Just a small update. Doxy was cool but only while i stayed on it. When i got off everything came back. I still take antibiotics when i break out badly. Then i stop till the next break out) my cycle of life. I am on the BCP for 3 months now, it kind of helps, 2 weeks i look fine, then 2 weeks i break out like crazy. i want to start spiro in addition to see if that helps. i will see my doctor about it today. the good thing is that i am pretty sure my acne is hormonal, though the Testosterone is fine... probably just sensitive to it.

I started taking x2 a day of 100 mg Doxy Hyclate about a year ago. I had mild acne on my face and severe acne on my chest and back and upper arms.

It cleared up my skin within 2 weeks (almost completely! although I have to admit I went tanning about 3 times to help with the body acne).

The only thing is that within 5 days of taking it I experienced my first every cysts (3!). They weren't really noticeable but I could feel them growing like a plateau and they HURT!

Other than that there were no issues and my skin became perfectly clear with even less clogged pores (which had been the real only problem about my face)

but AS SOON as I stopped taking them twice a day... and then once a day.. and then once every few days (slowly trying to wean myself off of it after 6 months) my face EXPLODED

I've never had cysts before those initial ones, and the non-existant 'mild' acne I had before was now severe and almost pulsing with irritation

I didn't know what to do so I just didn't take it for about two months. Nothing was progressing so I just took it. Had my initial painful cysts appear, and then my acne subdued again.

I've been on and off it based on how religiously I take them.

I was prescribed by my regular doctor (not dermatologist) so she didn't exactly check up on me or give me a timeline of what was supposed to happen. She didn't recommend that I stop taking them (although she did say that 11 months of pills would be more than enough)

So, in summary, NO. They are not a long time fix; but instead a cheap shortcut that ultimately made everything worse.

I'm currently still taking the supply to this day until I make an appointment with a real derm. Because I'm actually scared of how severe my face will become if I go off of them for any amount of time. It seems as though the acne on my back disappeared when I was taking the antibiotics (by it's bacteria killing process), but migrated to my face (my body acne has never been as severe as it was previous to taking this)

Sorry if this is a little rambly! This is my first post! Hope I gave you at least some useful information

MemberMember
(@rlsid21)

Posted : 05/16/2013 12:05 am

Yes! Doxycycline helped me TREMENDOUSLY! It's helped me grasp control over my cystic acne entirely.......I had so many at one time that I'd lose count. And they were pretty painful large cysts that took a long time to go away if I didn't get them injected with cortisone by my dermatologist. It took a few weeks for it to completely stop however, I do get one or two that are brought to the surface in a short amount of time because of the doxycycline combined with Tazorac that I use daily. Tazorac is what got rid of 90% of the comedones I had all over my face, mainly cheeks, jaw, and forehead. I've had acne on my forehead since the age of 13......and Tazorac has cleared it up just about completely.

I only have a few strays now with the comedones but the cysts are under control with the Doxy. I've been on Doxy for about 3 months now and going to go in for a recheck with my derm tomorrow to see how my skin is doing overall. Like I said, I'm 90% clear from my adult acne with my current regimen and couldn't be happier. Even men are noticing how clear my skin is by telling me I'm beautiful and look radiant......I'm so very happy with my skin now with it's smoothness and texture.

I do have to take fluconazole once a week as I am prone to yeast infections when on antibiotics though which is the kicker. All part of my skin regimen.....

MemberMember
(@aadaastra)

Posted : 05/17/2013 4:54 am

Yes! Doxycycline helped me TREMENDOUSLY! It's helped me grasp control over my cystic acne entirely.......I had so many at one time that I'd lose count. And they were pretty painful large cysts that took a long time to go away if I didn't get them injected with cortisone by my dermatologist. It took a few weeks for it to completely stop however, I do get one or two that are brought to the surface in a short amount of time because of the doxycycline combined with Tazorac that I use daily. Tazorac is what got rid of 90% of the comedones I had all over my face, mainly cheeks, jaw, and forehead. I've had acne on my forehead since the age of 13......and Tazorac has cleared it up just about completely.

I only have a few strays now with the comedones but the cysts are under control with the Doxy. I've been on Doxy for about 3 months now and going to go in for a recheck with my derm tomorrow to see how my skin is doing overall. Like I said, I'm 90% clear from my adult acne with my current regimen and couldn't be happier. Even men are noticing how clear my skin is by telling me I'm beautiful and look radiant......I'm so very happy with my skin now with it's smoothness and texture.

I do have to take fluconazole once a week as I am prone to yeast infections when on antibiotics though which is the kicker. All part of my skin regimen.....

Happy that your acne is under control now! Doxy also worked for me while i was on it. Too bad it is not a permanent cure(( People go to space and do heart transplants but cant cure acne! ridiculous! I just started spiro, we'll see how it goes.