Notifications
Clear all

Spiro And Differin

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 12/13/2012 3:22 pm

I am going to be 30 in a few weeks and have been fighting my face since 12 years old. As a teen my acne settled in my T-Zone, only to move off of my nose and camp out on my cheeks after pregnancies. I tried all the OTC products, quit using make-up and generally made myself crazy for the last 10 years.

I would have bad breakouts around my periods, but due to other factors i had a hysterectomy this year. Suddenly I started having huge cystic acne in addition to the never ending rounds of surface acne.

Diet, topicals, daily pillowcase changes and never letting my hands or hair touch my face did not help. My make up pours off in sheets, and I live in a nearly negative humidity environment.

I finally threw all my face products away and started using OCM for my cleanser. I mix 1/3 castor oil, 1/3 EVOO with 1/3 grapeseed oil, and use 2x per day. I follow this with non-soap, organic cleanser to make sure I get all of the oil off. I have been using for 3 weeks and have no oil slicks!!

I do a mask 3x per week of raw, organic honey and cinnamon, smear on and let sit for 20 minutes, then massage and remove with warm water.

My acne had improved about 50% when my dermatology appt was set. The derm offered me Accutane, but that kind of freaks me out, so we are starting with 100mg of Spironolactone for 1 week, then upping the dose to 200mg daily. I apply differing gel nightly. I have a Salicylic acid peel scheduled for Friday to help with the MILLIONS of red mark and dozen or so pock marks that have scarred my face since cystic acne entered my life. If I don't have make up on, it looks like my whole face has been splattered with paint. Luckily, most of these marks are flat, so easily covered up with thick foundation.

I have a palm sized breakout on my left cheek that looks like raw hamburger, and has been exactly the same for 3 months. Nothing pops, diminishes or changes ever, and they are DARK purple and painful, several of them are raised and makeup just looks like chewed gum... gross.

So, today is day one of the Spiro and Differin, and we shall see how things go. If not improved in 3 months, Accutane is the last resort.

MemberMember
(@sunshine7587)

Posted : 12/13/2012 3:33 pm

I feel your pain and Im sorry to hear about what you are going through, You are not alone ! Im in pretty much the same boat right now but have decided to go ahead and do Accutane. I have been on spiro 100mg for about 10 months now. Sometimes my face is cyst free but most days its not. it has helped with oil, Slightly. but the problem with Spiro is it only Blocks the receptors. if you miss a dose or take it late...be prepared for an eruption. Thats why i decided to go ahead with the very scary Accutane even though my acne is only considered "moderate". all those androgens are just floating around , waiting to attach to a receptor as soon as you miss a dose. and trust me...it will happen to even the most diligent pill taker. I wish you luck and I truly hope that Spironolactone will help you, especially paired with Differin!! <3

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 12/13/2012 4:47 pm

Sunshine- You said that you are on 100mg. I am starting at 100 mg and then going up to 200 next week if I don't have any negative effects. What is your derm's take on the upper dose? I've read alot about women needing upward of 200/day to get good results.

Accutane scares me... My doctor said if I change my mind to just call her and I can start the Accutane that day, since I have no ability to get pregnant I just don't want to have to do the monthly testing (and paying out of pocket because my insurance sucks), and I'm afraid of the side effects... Keep me posted on how it goes with Accutane. If this doesnt work, it's my next step.

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 12/14/2012 11:36 am

Day 3

Did the SA peel yesterday, have a TINY bit of flaking on the right side of my chin, and a new pimple. grrr.... i know that it is a pimple I would have had anyway, but still bothers me.

I think that the OCM is really helping to keep my skin hydrated with the differin and SA, and I can see that my pores are clearer. I only have 3 blackheads, and after having blackheads in every single pore for years, this is MAJOR improvement. The pores that are not active/healing zits are absolutely clear and teeny tiny. All the skin that is not affected by acne is perfectly smooth and luminous and amazing.

I feel like when the cystic and superficial acne FINALLY clear it will be really really beautiful. Just trying to breathe deep and remember this is only the 3rd day.

I will do another SA peel on monday, since there needs to be 4-5 days between the first 2, then do them every week until the scars and acne have cleared. After that I can space them out for maintenance. So far, I am in LOVE with these peels. Wish I would have found them sooner.

No weird side effects from the Spiro yet. Just makes me tired, so I take them at night.

I'll post another pic in a week, to give everything some time to actually make a change, for better or worse. LOL

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 12/17/2012 11:16 am

Day 6

I definitely see how things "get worse" before they get better, but I will say that everything that popped up after starting treatment has already dried up and is now in healing stage. I have NO currently active pimples, just alot of red marks and a couple of dry scabs. I really feel like it is getting better!!

On the flip side, the spiro makes me very tired, and kind of spacey in the evenings. I usually get a headache around the time for my next dose, but I can avoid it if I remember to drink more water. Otherwise, no weird side effects which is good because I'm supposed to double the dose in 2 days.

The differin seems to keep me oil free, and the Salicylic acid peels are certainly fading some of the old scars. I see that it will take time, but I'm very confident it will eventually work!!

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 12/18/2012 1:09 pm

Day 7

All the active pimples and scabs have dried up to just red marks, the remaining blackheads came out last night! Just a few small white bumps, not whiteheads, that I'm waiting to shrink. I think this is PMS time, as I feel very moody and not very patient, but since my hysterectomy, I have no idea. I used to get really bad breakouts around my period, so maybe this breakout was from that, or maybe due to the medication.

I don't wake up with oily face anymore, ever. It's great! Since I work from home, I don't often need makeup during the day, but the past few times I've worn it, it has STAYED ON! No touch ups or blotting required!

So far I'm pleased with my progress and results. Have another salicylic acid peel tomorrow to help with the inflammation.

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 12/18/2012 5:51 pm

Left the SA peel on longer than usual. Fanned my face as the product sat on there and the areas I treated turned white. Just put some raw honey on them, and will rinse that off and cover with Hemp oil in about 2 minutes. Initally I had great results with the small scars, and a couple of active pimples dried out immediately. But I was being wimpy and washed off the gel after only a minute. This time I only put it on the big scars and let it set for 4 minutes. Hopefully didn't burn my face off, and when the peeling is done, they will be improved.

No pics yet, as my face overall is worse, but that is to be expected in the beginning of treatment. Still taking the Spiro daily, and using differin on days I dont use SA. Still believing it will get better!!

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 12/19/2012 1:33 pm

DAY 8

Lots of peeling today from the SA peel. Some dark spots that I just have to wait to flake off. They are chemical burns, and don't freak me out, but they can't really be covered either so it's pretty ugly. Top it off I'm in total PMS mode so not feeling so great overall. Just keeping hope that it will get better but I feel like an ugly freak today.

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 12/20/2012 10:51 am

Day 9

Lots of Scabbing still. Feel like a monster. Also woke up with 2 new pustules that I'm really working on not touching! Most of my face feels like it has a clay mask on it, as I wait for the peeling to start after SA. The extra 3 minutes of peel time is significantly different, and unless my skin falls off to reveal perfect skin underneath, I will NOT be doing four minutes again!

This is gross.

I also had the pleasure of whacking my face on the table as I reached to grab a kids sock, barely bumped it, but hit right on a brand new zit so it felt like a Mike Tyson knockout punch!

Here are some pics since it's technically a week, but don't let them scare you, evidently it's supposed to get worse before it gets better, AND I did a chemical peel...

(sorry they are all spun around... my uploader has a sense of humor)

post-192319-0-18715600-1356018637_thumb.

post-192319-0-76737200-1356018650_thumb.

post-192319-0-42911300-1356018663_thumb.

post-192319-0-48706100-1356018681_thumb.

post-192319-0-18715600-1356018637_thumb.

post-192319-0-76737200-1356018650_thumb.

post-192319-0-42911300-1356018663_thumb.

post-192319-0-48706100-1356018681_thumb.

MemberMember
(@mommabear)

Posted : 12/20/2012 12:20 pm

Hey, thanks for the updates!

Bless your heart, sorry for what you are going through.

My daughter is on day 41 100 mg of spiro and she is still breaking out, but the breakouts are less severe.

I'm impressed that you apply your own salicylic peel. Where and how do you purchase one? I've been paying $100 for my daughters microdermabrasion/peels. She has one scheduled again tomorrow. I think they have really helped clear out some of the congestion.

Thanks for posting your pictures, your skin really doesn't look to bad considering all the "pain" its been through! :)

Thanks for the updates, it helps so much!

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 12/20/2012 6:31 pm

Thanks MommaBear. I ordered the SkinLaboratory's 20% Salicylic Acid from Amazon after reading hundreds of reviews. Its a good starter peel. So far I like it, it has worked well to dry up pimples, although I am still in the IB phase of treatment, so there are new ones everyday!!

So frustrating, and with the peel crusting and just the normal IB process I feel like I want to hide in my bed.

Hard to keep the faith that it will get better. It just so much worse than it was, and I have to spend a week with family, out and about... grrr!

Guess I will spend my 30th birthday working, with my face aching from acne. I really thought I would have outgrown this by now. I guess they say with IB you get 15 months worth of breakout in only 3 and then it gets better. I hope that's true because I have a vacation planned to Costa Rica in April, and I am not taking pics like this. Im absolutely mortified. I have an interview for a promotion in 2 weeks and I'm really hoping they make it a phone interview. Facing a panel of interviewers feeling like a teenager is not the way to gain confidence and go get that job!

breathe in, breath out, go cry, repeat.....

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 12/21/2012 3:04 pm

Scabs are finally coming off, and the 3 actives I had yesterday are drying up! Yay!!!

Just hoping no more new ones pop up and that I heal (relatively) enough to cover it for Christmas. I swear It looks like I have Tweeker face, and its embarrassing! More pics in a few days

MemberMember
(@mommabear)

Posted : 12/21/2012 7:31 pm

Scabs are finally coming off, and the 3 actives I had yesterday are drying up! Yay!!!

Just hoping no more new ones pop up and that I heal (relatively) enough to cover it for Christmas. I swear It looks like I have Tweeker face, and its embarrassing! More pics in a few days

It sounds like you are doing better :)

We went to Clinique to get "better" makeup. Hopefully this will help.

What kind of makeup,do you use?

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 12/23/2012 9:37 am

Usually no make up, because I work from home. The once a week or so that I actually put make up on, I use smash box from sephora. I have pump primer, foundation and concealer I put on with brushes that I wash each time. Usually my skin isn't as bad as now, just constantly cystic with a few surface zits around my period. It's not a make up problem, I wish it was that easy!

How is you daughter doing results wise? Any improvement yet?

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 12/27/2012 9:30 am

DAY 16

So the mess on my face is improving. I currently have one active pimple that popped up on Christmas day, fun. However I now have 4 new actives under my chin on the underside of my jaw and for some reason it looks like I have scaly eczema looking hickeys on the sides of my neck. They started on the 24th and I thought my husband was over enthusiastic, but instead of looking kind of bruised like a normal hickey, they itched and just stayed pink and dry like my daughter's eczema. I don't use the differin on my neck, so it's a bit weird. Right now I'm just putting hydrocortisone on them and trying not to scratch because I don't want a secondary infection.

Other than that, everything else is pretty much dormant or scabbed over. I have some dryness and flaking on my chin and around my nose, but nothing too bad. The cysts have not changed one iota and are still very dark, although now that they finally peeled after the last SA treatment, they are somewhat coverable with make-up (thank goodness with all the holiday pics).

So that's it. More pics when there is something to show.

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 12/28/2012 12:26 pm

post-192319-0-62088000-1356715516_thumb.post-192319-0-90657200-1356715517_thumb.post-192319-0-54599100-1356715519_thumb.post-192319-0-61980100-1356715520_thumb.Day 17

No change yet. Still have a TON of tiny clogged/covered pimples all over my chin. They aren't inflamed, but are ugly. These don't worry me so much, because they are easily covered and you have to be really close to see them, but I'm hoping these clear with the next SA peel and extraction. I'm worried they will turn into inflamed pimples and be a real mess. Otherewise, I think its part of the purge process. I will say that since starting the medication my Forehead is 100% clear. I guess that means that my face over all is 50% clear? LOL

The left side of my face still looks like raw hamburger. The biggest dark purple spot improved dramatically after the last SA peel, but then I got a new dark cyst in it's place, so yeah... No over all improvement there yet.

I read the message post informing everyone about the benefits of Zinc Oxide and Ichance23 states that s/he was clear in 3 days after using it, so I changed my moisturizer to one that has 5% ZnO and got some zinc oxide ointment to use during the day. It makes the skin very white (basically it's diaper cream so VERY thick) and luckily I work from home, so no one will see me! LOL

My derm recommended using it on the neck irritation since hydrocortisone burns, so since I got it for my "rash" I figured I'd try out Ichance23's challenge and see if it works. You can follow that over in the thread.

I have another Peel on Saturday, and after the dark scabbing from last time, I decided to get some Emu oil and use that after the peel instead of just hemp seed oil. I love hemp seed for regular moisturizing, but I don't think its enough after chemical trauma and Emu oil is excellent for wounds and scars. I've used it in the past for piercings and burns, and it has a comedogenic rating of 1/5.

post-192319-0-62088000-1356715516_thumb.

post-192319-0-90657200-1356715517_thumb.

post-192319-0-54599100-1356715519_thumb.

post-192319-0-61980100-1356715520_thumb.

MemberMember
(@mommabear)

Posted : 12/28/2012 1:00 pm

Thanks for update. Hm... Zinc oxide,isn't that sunscreen? Look forward to see your results with it. :)

Still doing 20 percent peel? Daughters derm only does 10 percent peel, maybe because she is a redhead with sensitive skin? She started using benzoyl peroxide, and it seems to have cleared a lot of the active pustules. Cheek area is dark red and scarred, looks like,to borrow your words," raw hamburger".:(

Do you think the acid peels are the best way to get rid of scarring? What else gets rid of scars?

Thanks again!

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 12/28/2012 2:02 pm

Thanks for update. Hm... Zinc oxide,isn't that sunscreen? Look forward to see your results with it. smile.png

Still doing 20 percent peel? Daughters derm only does 10 percent peel, maybe because she is a redhead with sensitive skin? She started using benzoyl peroxide, and it seems to have cleared a lot of the active pustules. Cheek area is dark red and scarred, looks like,to borrow your words," raw hamburger".sad.png

Do you think the acid peels are the best way to get rid of scarring? What else gets rid of scars?

Thanks again!

As far as the Zinc goes, yes, it's an active ingredient in sunscreen, but it also the active ingredient in diaper rash cream, so it protects the skin and helps it heal.

Your DD derm may be doing a 10% peel, but 10% of what is the question. 10% TCA, glycolic, lactic or salicylic acid? The chemical compound and the percentage determine the depth of the peels. I'm still working on 20% Salicylic acid because my skin is sensitive and SA is supposed to be ideal for acne and effective on superficial scarring/hyperpigmentation. It is not effective on pitted scars as far as I know. Those require deeper peels, and I honestly would not feel safe doing those myself. When I'm ready to tackle the pits, I will go to the professionals!!

BP made my hyperpigmentation worse, even if it dried out the pimple itself. I really don't like BP. Retinols are helping my surface acne, and aren't worsening the discoloration.

After my previous post, I looked at my pics from the very beginning and I can report that my Right side is actually much improved, as is my chin. Since my forehead is totally clear (knock wood), I can honestly say that there is great improvement for 17 days of treatment even though the left side of my face is still bad. This is the only side with cysts remaining as well, so that always makes it look worse. Here are "before" and "afters" that I didn't realize I had.

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 12/29/2012 9:38 am

DAY 18 (spiro and differin)

Day 2 (40% zinc oxide)

Slight improvement today. All my cysts and every somewhat live bump had dried out and stabbed today. Have 1 new active, but I was poking at a clogged pore (bad girl!) and I think I pissed it off. Otherwise good.

The rash on my neck has now expanded to under my chin, putting emu oil on that and trying not to scratch.

So far, the spire and differin are doing exactly what I expected, and the zinc oxide is surprising me. Will hold out to see how things go with 14 days of zinc oxide cream.

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 12/31/2012 3:04 pm

DAY 20

I definitely see improvement. I'm down to the 2 inflamed spots on my chin that I picked (bad me!), and by not putting Differin on my chin and only using ACV the perioral dermatitis is practically gone. I have 5 Cysts on my left cheek still ( nothing new/different there), but the redness and irritation that made my face look like hamburger is better. Now it just looks like pimples/cysts instead of a mangled skin mess. The right side is almost totally clear, a couple lingering healing spots and about 3 colorless clogged something. Not whiteheads, but not pimples either.

I've been using the zinc oxide, and I think it has really helped the healing of the skin. I don't expect topicals to work on my cysts because they are on the inside. That's the Spiro's job. Otherwise, I just have alot a flaking, looks awful with make up on. FOr the first time ever I think I look better without make up, and that's not a good thing. I have just been putting concealer on the red marks and under eye circles and leaving the rest. I look old and papery with make up right now. Ugh. Ah well. The drying period is expected I guess. I just keep putting the zinc, hemp seed oil and emu oil on.

The neck "rash" is improving. Not red anymore, just feels dry and itchy. Hopefully that will start to go away soon. Doing another SA peel tomorrow since we cancelled the Saturday peel. We had a wedding to go to and I was not peeling before the wedding. I'll have tons more peeling, but hopefully after it all peels off I'll have soft baby skin again.

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 01/03/2013 1:07 pm

DAY 22

Was seeing some improvement, but had a little break out his morning. One on each side of my chin and several on both cheeks. A couple of the cysts went away finally, and left lovely holes in their place. Very discouraged today. Just keep on keeping on.

The good thing is that I can cover most of the issues with make up when necessary. I had to be in the office yesterday and looked pretty good with full coverage. Also, because the oil is under control, I didn't have to touch up my face once! It stayed morning fresh all 10 hours, so YAY!!!

That's it for now. Just 22 days in and 1 problem solved.

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 01/06/2013 7:15 pm

Day 25

Doing ok, I guess. Not currently active acne, just some drying up and today, one of my cysts just kind of popped itself open when I brushed my cheek on accident so that's totally flat. No scab or anything, just pink.

I don't think the zinc oxide did anything for me. Nothing got better any faster than usual, and I have a lot more no inflamed bumps pretty much everywhere. Just continuing with the differing, taking my spiro 200 mg at night and using the OCM. I've skipped a couple of acid peels due to holiday gatherings and then we had a funeral this weekend and I didn't want to be a peeling mess. Actually, now that I think about it, I probably wiped my cheek a lot yesterday crying and the funeral and that's why it broke open this morning...Ew,

Anyway, I don't think the zinc hurt my skin any, I just didn't have any benefits from the topical application of it, so I'm stopping that. No point for me.

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 01/07/2013 12:34 pm

So, nearly 4 weeks now on Spiro and Differinpost-192319-0-28337400-1357580065_thumb.post-192319-0-76958300-1357580074_thumb.post-192319-0-18092900-1357580083_thumb.. Still dealing with the healing process of the IB, but nothing terrible. Everything is dry and healing at the moment, nothing active. All the deep cysts are gone. Oil is well controlled, the neck rash thing is clearing, and theres just a tiny bit of perioral dermatits remaining, other than the couple of self-inflicted wounds from picking.

post-192319-0-28337400-1357580065_thumb.

post-192319-0-76958300-1357580074_thumb.

post-192319-0-18092900-1357580083_thumb.

MemberMember
(@luckymac)

Posted : 01/10/2013 7:58 pm

Glad I found your post! Had some quick questions!

A little background I have mild but persistent acne for the last two yrs- prior to that perfect skin. I tried beyaz for three months with no luck and started 50 mg of spiro and differin cream .01% a week ago. So far I'm miserable hah. Skin was clear last wk, this wk I'm insanely dry and breaking out all over.

Please say this is normal I haven't found that many great reviews regarding differin.

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 01/11/2013 11:44 am

luckymac- I think this is normal. I'm also having a small breakout, but thanks to using BP for too long, I have so much PIH it looks like a massive breakout. The redmarks just dont go away! You may not have dramatic improvement on the 50mg Spiro, most people have to get to at least 100 to see results from what I've followed on here. Just work up to whatever is your "magic dose". I wouldn't have too high of expectations at 50mg. The differin has really been helping prevent surface acne though. No real lingering zits since starting it. Just the cystic, IB issues for me. I still breakout a little bit, but I've only been on 200mg for the last 5 weeks, supposed to take longer. Keep the faith. I'm hanging in there with you!