Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Journal -- 17 Year Old Male

MemberMember
(@twinsfan57)

Posted : 12/12/2012 10:19 pm

Hey everyone, I'm a 17 year old with moderate/severe acne. I started getting light acne in 7th grade and it became moderate in 9th grade. Just this past summer it became moderate/severe. So far, I've tried benzoyl peroxide washes, just plain cleanser, cephalexin (some type of antibiotic), the regimen from acne.org, some weird herbal soap, and .05% retin-a with minocycline. This is the only thing I really have left. I'm sick of all the topicals, scrubs, and antibiotics.

My acne is on my cheeks, chin, and below my nose. I also have some blackheads on my nose but that isn't too big of a deal.

I got my blood worked this morning and I have the green light to take my first pill tomorrow. I'm starting out on 60 mg per day and I may get bumped up to 80 mg depending on how my body reacts to it.

As for being nervous, I'm not at all. I've been studying and researching accutane for a couple months now and I'm aware of everything that could happen. Life is a chance, and accutane is a chance I'm willing to take if it means clear skin. It's been affecting my life for so long. It seems as if it consumes my life. I know I shouldn't worry so much about it, but it's not that easy.

I should have before pictures up sometime this week and I plan on updating with how I'm doing every week with new pictures every month.

Comment any suggestions or advice you have for me, it's going to be a heck of a ride..

MemberMember
(@roman95)

Posted : 12/12/2012 10:27 pm

good luck im also a 17year old male and know how it is to deal with acne wish you the best hope to see pictures of progress because im also thinking of trying out accutane

MemberMember
(@needadvice124)

Posted : 12/12/2012 11:34 pm

Pictures please !

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 12/13/2012 2:01 pm

Good luck! Im on day 7 today, and so far so good. My

Lips are drying out as well as my nose is peeling.

I'm pretty thirsty all day, a couple white heads but nothin else so far.

MemberMember
(@twinsfan57)

Posted : 12/13/2012 4:52 pm

good luck im also a 17year old male and know how it is to deal with acne wish you the best hope to see pictures of progress because im also thinking of trying out accutane

Yea man still having acne at this age sucks. I just want it to be over with.

Pictures please !

I should have pictures up sometime tomorrow or this weekend....I have to figure it out with my sister's camera!

Hey thanks! We'll have to stick together! I hope I don't get too serious of side effects but I can live with dry skin, eyes, and nose if it means clear skin.

MemberMember
(@twinsfan57)

Posted : 12/14/2012 8:52 pm

I'm starting to get pissed because the pharmacy keeps telling me that they're going to have it in but then they don't. Now I have to wait until Monday because I guess there was some hoops they have to go through because no one in my town has been on it in awhile. I just want to get on and start already!

MemberMember
(@gointhedistance)

Posted : 12/17/2012 1:12 pm

sucks dog but then again you didn't have to wait a week for the blood work to go through. Today should be the lucky day then anyways...

MemberMember
(@twinsfan57)

Posted : 12/17/2012 7:46 pm

sucks dog but then again you didn't have to wait a week for the blood work to go through. Today should be the lucky day then anyways...

Yea dude bloodwork sucks.

Anyways,

Week 1 Day 1

I took my first pill tonight, woohoo, I'm on my way. I was hoping it wouldn't be so expensive with our insurance, but damn! it's still quite a bit. I'm having a really bad breakout right now on one side of my face, but overall it's not too bad.

Here are some pictures for you guys. Let me know what you think!

MemberMember
(@gointhedistance)

Posted : 12/17/2012 10:30 pm

Yeah you look allright. You don't have any scarring. Doing it younger is a good idea. I thought I was going to grow out of it but never did. So now I have some light scarring. Nothing deep or anything.

So far for me my white heads have been drying up and disappearing at a much more rapid pace, which is sick. Hopefully the same will be for you and the bumps on that one side of your face will dissipate at a much more rapid pace.

MemberMember
(@twinsfan57)

Posted : 12/17/2012 10:53 pm

Yeah you look allright. You don't have any scarring. Doing it younger is a good idea. I thought I was going to grow out of it but never did. So now I have some light scarring. Nothing deep or anything.

So far for me my white heads have been drying up and disappearing at a much more rapid pace, which is sick. Hopefully the same will be for you and the bumps on that one side of your face will dissipate at a much more rapid pace.

Yea that's what I'm hoping for. My face usually isn't this good but it's still somewhat good from the antibiotics. That breakout is probably from going off of them. I'm thinking that the accutane is going to bring up a lot of gunk that's been under my skin for awhile. Hopefully it doesn't get too bad.

Maybe it's just me, but ever since I took my first pill I just feel a little different. My face feels a little warmer than usual and I just feel weird. It's probably all in my head, but who knows.

MemberMember
(@gointhedistance)

Posted : 12/18/2012 2:55 am

Well at least you aren't having crazy nightmares haha. That's the only thing side effects I have had. That and a cyst that looms... haha

MemberMember
(@zhfac)

Posted : 12/18/2012 11:40 am

I regret not starting Accutane even like a year ago, I would've saved my skin from so much scarring. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@twinsfan57)

Posted : 12/19/2012 11:02 pm

I regret not starting Accutane even like a year ago, I would've saved my skin from so much scarring. Good luck!

Hey thanks, good luck to you as well!

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 12/19/2012 11:58 pm

Well, accutane isn't a guarantee to stop scarring. It can even worsen it sometimes

MemberMember
(@twinsfan57)

Posted : 12/24/2012 9:37 am

Update: Week 1

Well that's it for week 1. So far, I've seem minimal side effects. All I've had is a little bit of peeling around my nose and mouth. I haven't even had chapped lips. (probably because I slather on aquaphor 3x a day)

As for my skin goes, it seems like I'm still pretty oily. The bumps on the left side of my face have all flattened and turned to red marks. If I do get a pimple, it goes away very very fast. The right side of my face is always weird though. It's almost all flat but it has this weird rash thing that turns red sometimes. It's not from accutane, because I remember having it while being on the regimen, and I'm pretty sure the regimen caused it. It also has a lot of dead flaky skin on it, and I'm not sure if I should exfoliate it or just leave it be, to avoid irritation. As for my mouth area, I have some activity on my chin and maybe 2-3 small ones by my mouth, a lot of improvement though. Not sure if I'm going to see an initial breakout, because I was on retin-a for almost 3 months. Who knows.

Everything is going well so far (knock on wood) and I hope it continues! Merry Christmas Everyone!

MemberMember
(@twinsfan57)

Posted : 12/30/2012 10:10 pm

Well, its not quite the end of week 2 yet, but I'm going to update anyways because I have some important things to say.

Week 2

Ihave seen a pretty good improvement in my skin so far. All the bumps on the left side of my face are flat and red marks, all clear. There is a little bit of activity under my nose, which is to be expected, I can tell my skin is very plugged there and there may be some purging. My chin has cleared rather well, and I got about 4 little zits all in one area by my mouth. They're all gone now so it's all good! I am starting to see some blackheads being pushed out of my nose as well. Now my right side of my face...is not the best. It probably looks better on the picture but it is really red, inflamed, and dry. I am positive it is not from the accutane because it has been like this ever since I went off the regimen. It's completely smooth but it seems like there is a layer of dead skin that is almost caked on. Does anybody know what this is? I think it could be a reaction to the bp. Also, today I really got tired of it and exfoliated the hell out of it crazy.gif it turned really red but now it's really smooth and there is no more dryness. I put a bunch of moisturizer on afterwards so hopefully I don't break out there. Seriously though, someone should try to guess what this could be.

I have started to see some nasty side effects as well. I was hoping I would miss out since I didn't get any the first week. Darn.

Side effects:

Nosebleeds - I get these huge dry things in my nose and if I scratch them at all my nose bleeds really bad.

Soreness - We lift weights in basketball, and wow does my back hurt after those deadlifts! I'm never this sore and it's been taking me longer to recover after games and practice.

Eczema - This one is the worst, our basketball team went to a tournament and I had it all over my arms. People kept asking me what it was so I said I got a rash from the hotel beds lol. I told my mom, and she bought some aveeno eczema cream at walmart and it worked very well! My arms are fine as of now.

Surprisingly I haven't had dry skin yet. (besides that stupid red dry thing on the right side of my face) I'm not sure if my lips are chapped either, because I've been slathering on aquaphor a lot.

That's it for now, wish me luck in the next couple weeks.

MemberMember
(@twinsfan57)

Posted : 01/07/2013 8:58 am

Week 3

Everything has been going really well so far, and I don't think I am going to see much of an initial breakout, maybe I already did. I've broken out here and there for a couple days but overall my face looks a lot better. I have a lot of redness around my mouth and chin simply because I've been hammered with acne everyday there since about 8th grade. I'm just pretty much waiting for my natural complexion to come back.

As for the red patch on the right side of my face, it looks a lot better now that I started moisturizing it. It seems to be fading fast with the other red marks.

I think in another 1-2 months I am going to clear. Hopefully my blood levels are ok so I can move up to 80 mg a day, or maybe it would be safer to just stay at 60. I'm not sure.

Side effects:

Nosebleeds - These are really bad. It's a cold dry winter here and that doesn't help at all.

Dry skin - My skin wasn't dry up until this week, but now it's starting to dry out a little bit. I think there is a difference between accutane dry and bp dry. Accutane dry still kind of feels nice.

Dry hair - This one is crazy. I haven't had to wash my hair this week. It is so dry it's ridiculous. I also think it's causing dandruff, so if anyone has some advice with that feel free to post.

Those are all my side effects right now, back pain and eczema have subsided for the time being.

That's it, good luck to you and treating your acne.

MemberMember
(@jdw)

Posted : 01/07/2013 12:18 pm

You could try vaseline in the nose to help with the blood noses, read about other people doing it and I'm doing it as a precaution cause I'm prone to them in the summer heat (Summer in Aus). Feels a little weird, kinda like i have a runny nose but I don't use alot and do it before bed and just sleep with it in.

MemberMember
(@twinsfan57)

Posted : 01/07/2013 11:52 pm

You could try vaseline in the nose to help with the blood noses, read about other people doing it and I'm doing it as a precaution cause I'm prone to them in the summer heat (Summer in Aus). Feels a little weird, kinda like i have a runny nose but I don't use alot and do it before bed and just sleep with it in.

Hey thanks for the reply, I might have to try that.

MemberMember
(@twinsfan57)

Posted : 01/14/2013 8:28 pm

Week 4

Not much of a change so far. In fact, I think it looks a little worse. I swear, these red marks are going to be the end of me. I don't even remember getting acne there in the first place. I'm starting to think I might not be clear by the end of April, which is my goal for prom, I don't want to look all gross and I want to have fun with my friends. Maybe 1 or 2 new breakouts this week, and my skin is getting very peely. My dermatologist appointment is next week and I hope my blood levels are ok. I am also going to ask if I can move up to 80 mg a day. I don't want it to come back, so I'll take the chance of my current side effects getting worse.

Side Effects:

Nosebleeds - This is getting unbearable. I tried vaseline, and it helps a little. The inner lining of my nose cracks and it's terrible.

Dry lips - Not a big deal, Aquaphor is a miracle.

Joint pain - This differs from day to day, some days my back and knees hurt really bad. I also noticed that I bruise easier and I'm sore a lot longer after basketball games.

Dry hair - Haven't had to wash my hair for awhile, so that's nice.

Eczema - It's back, I forgot to keep moisturizing my arms and it flared up at practice tonight.

I hope this stuff starts to work again, I'm getting anxious.

MemberMember
(@wellgetbetter)

Posted : 01/14/2013 8:45 pm

i have kinda the same things going on my 7th day. but mine is kinda inflamed cystic. plus, i have such bad itchy scalp. its killing me.

MemberMember
(@twinsfan57)

Posted : 01/20/2013 11:23 pm

Well, it's supposed to be week 5, but my mom didn't schedule my appointment on time, so I couldn't get my prescription renewed. I'm not even going to count this week.

I was wondering, will this month even count towards my progress? My skin isn't even really dry anymore and I the side effects have gone down. Oh, and my skin is starting to break out again. Great. Depending on how my bloodwork goes tomorrow, I want to go on 80 mg. 120 mg if they'll let me. I'm so sick of looking in the mirror and seeing acne. I just can't take it anymore!

Also, does anyone really know how long it takes red marks to fade while on accutane? I've heard everything from 1-3 months to 2 years. It seems like all these accutane posts everyone is COMPLETELY clear in 5-6 months (including red marks). I don't know what to think anymore, I think I'm losing my mind.

So, questions are: will this month count if I missed a week and how long does it take for red marks to fade while on accutane?

Someone help

MemberMember
(@twinsfan57)

Posted : 01/29/2013 9:09 am

Week 5

Not much of a change his week, but I had 3 new spots. That means new red marks. Great. Today I was looking in the mirror, and I don't know if anyone else ever gets this, but I am just really sick of acne. More than I ever have been before. I lose so much confidence because of it and I just want to be normal again. I don't even have that many pimples, it's just the freaking red marks that don't fade at all.

I have until the end of April to look decent because that's when our prom is. I hope and pray these red marks will at least fade by 50% by then.

Side effects:

Bloody nose, dry lips, and terrible eczema on my arm.

MemberMember
(@wsmith189)

Posted : 01/29/2013 10:06 am

Twinsfan,

Bro - I completely understand where you are coming from. You are so hell bent on Accutane being the miracle you have been hoping for that when the instant results do not come - you're bummed out to the point of quitting. You have made the decision to tackle this problem, embrace it my friend. You will not be disappointed, I swear to the flying spaghetti monster. You will not be disappointed one bit; that day will come when you start to wake up without thinking about your face, you wont touch it to see if any new guys popped up over night...you won't be socially awkward...you won't be a hermit...but you must commit fully.

It is much easier said than done, holding your chin up and facing the world when that's the last thing on your mind. I am sure someone has mentioned this to you, but it is absolutely the truth...sometimes when life is making it rain in the worst possible way you gotta just put on a raincoat and say fuck it. After so many tumultuous years of suffering, being so close to the end. Just embrace it, embrace the gradual healing process, know you are doing the best possible thing available. It is not the miraculous instant cure you were hoping for, but dude hang in there. There will come a time when then only thing you can say about the entire experience is I wish I had started this sooner.

I am on my second course. First go round I had moderate nodule/pustules. I was 19 at the time, sophomore at UGA. It really sucked, partly because I wasn't prepared for the emotional roller coaster. Partly because I had never ever really had to deal with acne before. It was just kinda a wtf onset. Tried antibios...lots of stuff, just like everyone else, nothing worked. I demanded tane - got it - powered through it - despite feeling like you are now so many days. Just staring in the mirror, so unbelievably pissed. Anyways, perfect skin for two years...post grad stress and life re started the bumps. Just one a week/one every two weeks, nothing major at all. I just made the decision to go for round two. I did not need it at all. Just decided as a full fledged adult, I wasn't going to get another bump. Obviously, I learned from my past experience and embraced from day 1. It has gone almost exactly like it did last time. I mean exactly. Due to my attitude, however, it has not gotten me down. I know you don't have these past experiences to build on, but my story is far from the minority. You must have perused these boards extensively. There is no reason for you to think for one second you are any different and should not expect the results. They will come, scouts honor.

As for your side effects.

Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. You cannot moisturize enough... That is why you have eczema on your arm. I get it too. Use a great moisturizer throughout the day, I do a full body rub down at least twice a day and periodically pat down my face and other dry prone areas. Such as your elbow area up to your tricep. Put a solid petroleum jelly based something on your eczema (vaseline, carmex) before bed. Or during the day. Whatever. Will clear that shit right up. Might take 5 or so days. But just like you will have clear skin, this will work.

Can't stress enough drinking water. Drink water so you have to pee at least once every hour. Maybe even more.

If you have any questions at all. Hit me up. I will answer ANY question you've got.

Always remember you are one step closer and the only easy day was yesterday.

Also..the nose, I get this issue as well. I don't get the full on bleeds - just the dry crusty bloody boogers. Doc gave me some great samples. It is called Vaniply. Next visit. Ask for some samples, they will give you more than you bargained for.

MemberMember
(@paulxdragon)

Posted : 01/29/2013 3:37 pm

Personally, I'm about to finish month 3 on Accutane, and you sound like you have very similar acne to me, and to tell you the truth, although my acne has healed quite well on my chest (no active pimples and red marks beginning to fade) I am still getting acne on my neck (For the record I've never had it on my face, just neck/body), in fact as recent as this morning I woke up with a 3rd one forming.

However I have noticed they are diminishing quicker...

And my 21st birthday is in less than 2 weeks, so I'm really in a struggle to get my skin clear faster.