Notifications
Clear all

What Kind Of Scars Are This? With Pics.

MemberMember
(@carp351)

Posted : 12/12/2012 10:15 pm

So a few months ago i had some horrible acne breakout with nodules and cysts and I did not treat it but instead let time do its thing and now I am left with what I onsider rolling scarring or icepick. Can someone provide me any info on What I have considering that I also have marks. This pictures are taken under harsh lighting and with a retina display camera so it picks up every detail. Any suggestions, will dermarolling help? Is su vision my last hope? Of course I still suffer from acne but about in the future once I have my acne under control. Thanks!post-181739-0-13030100-1355368247_thumb.post-181739-0-68187500-1355368279_thumb.

Sorry for the pics for some reason they came out like this. Yes I still suffer with cystic acne but I'll rather take this than what I had before.

MemberMember
(@scarminator)

Posted : 12/14/2012 12:36 pm

Totally get that you want to start treatment right away, but if they're just a couple of months old and you've still got active acne, I'd say that you should wait a little. Try to get the acne under control.

Your scars seem to be of the rolling and boxcar type. Might be a cuouple of icepicks as well, but the line between icepicks and boxcars is quite thin (As I've understood the definitions used by most derms, icepicks are usually confined to a single (large) sebaceous gland, but they both share the same main indication, which is the sharp edges). For now, I'd probably get on some Retin-A (or any other retinoid) to make sure those heal up as good as possible. Make sure to get a couple of second opinions though, so that you can decide for yourself ! ;)

MemberMember
(@awesomenesssquared)

Posted : 12/14/2012 5:29 pm

So a few months ago i had some horrible acne breakout with nodules and cysts and I did not treat it but instead let time do its thing and now I am left with what I onsider rolling scarring or icepick. Can someone provide me any info on What I have considering that I also have marks. This pictures are taken under harsh lighting and with a retina display camera so it picks up every detail. Any suggestions, will dermarolling help? Is su vision my last hope? Of course I still suffer from acne but about in the future once I have my acne under control. Thanks!post-181739-0-13030100-1355368247_thumb.post-181739-0-68187500-1355368279_thumb.

Sorry for the pics for some reason they came out like this. Yes I still suffer with cystic acne but I'll rather take this than what I had before.

My scars are exactly like this. I have one deep/red huge one on my right cheek and scattered array of scars on my left, shallow ones that are all red so they look deep too. Although I just finished accutane, I would suggest exactly what the above says. Use retin-a to promote healing. and moisturize! moisturize! to provide a better environment to healing as well. I would try to clear your acne as much as possible and go for subcision and/or fillers and lasers (this board seems to have alot of good reviews with mixto laser, check it out esp cuz your skin is darker like mine...mine is olive) a good 6-12months after the scars developed. 90% of my scarring has occured in the past 6months (and also because I just finished accutane..i have to wait six months+ anyway)and I want to wait anoter 6-10months before I go for subcision/lasers/fillers. this gives your skin a good year to heal the scars you have and will give the dermatologist a better ide aon how to treat your scars. Scars generally take a year to heal, especially facial ones.

MemberMember
(@carp351)

Posted : 12/14/2012 7:48 pm

My scars are exactly like this. I have one deep/red huge one on my right cheek and scattered array of scars on my left, shallow ones that are all red so they look deep too. Although I just finished accutane, I would suggest exactly what the above says. Use retin-a to promote healing. and moisturize! moisturize! to provide a better environment to healing as well. I would try to clear your acne as much as possible and go for subcision and/or fillers and lasers (this board seems to have alot of good reviews with mixto laser, check it out esp cuz your skin is darker like mine...mine is olive) a good 6-12months after the scars developed. 90% of my scarring has occured in the past 6months (and also because I just finished accutane..i have to wait six months+ anyway)and I want to wait anoter 6-10months before I go for subcision/lasers/fillers. this gives your skin a good year to heal the scars you have and will give the dermatologist a better ide aon how to treat your scars. Scars generally take a year to heal, especially facial ones.

Thanks for the reply, yes retin-a is a good treatment i was on retin a twice but i stopped because i saw improvement, oh that was the worst mistake because ever since i stopped i for the first time started breaking out with cystic acne at age 21. I plan on getting retin-a soon but i want to stick to it for a long time because i am afraid of getting the same results as my previous experiences. I do not want to take antibiotics but i will take retin-a, So do you think retin-a will help improve my scars? To be honest i am not really bothered by the indents but by the red/purple marks because they are noticiable under any lightning. I think that if my marks heal my face wouln't look too bad that's why i want to try aloe vera gel but can it work in combination with retin-a?

MemberMember
(@awesomenesssquared)

Posted : 12/14/2012 10:07 pm

Thanks for the reply, yes retin-a is a good treatment i was on retin a twice but i stopped because i saw improvement, oh that was the worst mistake because ever since i stopped i for the first time started breaking out with cystic acne at age 21. I plan on getting retin-a soon but i want to stick to it for a long time because i am afraid of getting the same results as my previous experiences. I do not want to take antibiotics but i will take retin-a, So do you think retin-a will help improve my scars? To be honest i am not really bothered by the indents but by the red/purple marks because they are noticiable under any lightning. I think that if my marks heal my face wouln't look too bad that's why i want to try aloe vera gel but can it work in combination with retin-a?

I also use aloe vera. I am startin retin A tonight because I just got off accutane two weeks ago. Retina and aloe vera can probably only go so far though...it will definitely improve the redness though, if you are no bothered by the indents. Just give it time to heal...Ive learned to try and let things go and just wait it out and see how I heal up. I, like yourself, started getting cystic acne for the first time just last year and it is very upsetting how many scars you can get in such little time...

If you are really not bothered by the indents and even a little bit of improvement is good I would recommend first getting the acne under contorl and then start dermarolling. I am not an expert on rolling/never done it though. Subcision/laser/fillers are if you really want improvement on the indents.