How To Subdue An Al...

Notifications
Clear all

How To Subdue An Allergic Reaction To Benzoyl Peroxide?

MemberMember
(@tuxedobond)

Posted : 12/12/2012 7:37 pm

My face tolerates the peroxide while still becoming red and sore but my shoulders, back, and chest all become very swollen, itchy and inflamed. I even dillutted my solution from 2.5% to no more than 1.5% peroxide and I still have the same effect. I have just started using a leave on solution after having stopped use of a 10% peroxide shower wash several years ago due to severe burning effect.

Does anyone have experience of using antihistamines to counter this effect?

MemberMember
(@hopeful26)

Posted : 01/13/2013 12:38 am

I'm sorry that youre dealing with this :(. I'm no expert (only on day 4 of the DKR) but I do have sensitive skin and have dealt with many skin reactions during sensitive periods. I honestly think that if your allergic reaction is that serious, you should stop the BP. It really is a harsh product that isn't for everyone. I have a pretty extreme reaction to mineral oil - it produces redness, itch, and swelling, and also resulted in contact dermatitis on my chin and around my eyes. I did have had success in using antihistamines (I believe i used Benadryl or Claritin) to reduce the effect. However, once I realized that the Mineral oil was the culprit, I stopped immediately. You might want to check out alternatives like salycyic acid or erythromycin and use them in place on the BP in the regimen. Many people have good results just by changing their routine. Good luck to you!

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 01/13/2013 10:31 pm

Do you think you may be applying too much BP on your chest and shoulders in comparison to your face? Try and reduce the amount of BP you're applying and build up a bit more slowly.

Alternatively, instead of BP try using AHA+ on your body. I know that AHA+ worked better on my chest acne compared to BP. Let us know how you get on.

MemberMember
(@tuxedobond)

Posted : 05/25/2013 5:55 pm

Is AHA+ similar to salicylic acid? I have tried using the smallest dab and it still has the same effect on my torso. I've started using a jar of sulfur but it doesn't have resorcinol so I'm not sure how helpful it will be. I'm not sure what a dermatologist could give me to help.

MemberMember
(@shaira-marie-mariano)

Posted : 05/26/2013 9:38 am

Hi, I experienced the same sensitivity to BP. My face feels like burning, extreme stinging sensation, it peels a lot and my cheeks turned redish in color and it's so painful when I apply the BP.I do have a very sensitive skin even before I use the regimen. I cleared up fast so after my skin is clear( though I still have my scars) I reduced the dosage of BP from everyday to once a day- every other day. I get the same results without the extreme sensitivity.

MemberMember
(@tuxedobond)

Posted : 05/30/2013 7:39 pm

I'm going to try once a day or every other day for my face. I can't tolerate any on the rest of my body however. :-/ I'm not sure what to do.