Notifications
Clear all

What Else Should I Do For My Acne? Please Help Me?

MemberMember
(@anb1998)

Posted : 12/12/2012 5:50 pm

Okay so I'm 14 and yeah... I'm a girl. A couple months ago I went on proavtiv and it cleared my skin for like a week then it started to come back. I did some research and decided to do the whole no wash caveman thing and that really didn't do anything besides make my face extremly flaky. I did the Ocm for about a week after that and it made my skin worse. Now I'm back on proactiv and its not helping much. Its making new zits shrink faster but thats about it. My sister has some retin-a that we got from mexico that didn't work for her. I think I might use that. My mom is trying to find my sisters antibiotics she took for her acne too so I can take them. I'm not sure what they are. For the whole retin-a thing how do you use it? Once or twice a day? What other products should I use with it? I know its supposed to make your skin really flaky so should I exfoliate or what? Do you moisterize with it? How long does it take to work? I'm going on a cruise in less than a month and I really don't want discusting skin on the cruise cause it would be embarassing and not as fun. Idk I'm sick of this acne. It used to be not that bad but now its starting to turn into cysts and scars and I'm starting to look like those people who haver really severe acne...

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 12/12/2012 7:58 pm

Ok - so sorry you are going through this - this is not a pleasant thing. Firstly, you have to choose 1 regimen and give it at least 3-4 months to see if it really works.

You can try changing your diet as well to see if that helps somewhat:

no dairy

low carb

Proactiv is garbage so don't use it. Go to a derm if you are under your parents insurance as at your age, this may last a while

Keep your head up hun

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 12/13/2012 4:35 am

You can try changing your diet as well to see if that helps somewhat:

Agreed. What is your current diet like anb1998? Alot of processed foods? Do you eat organic? Or get much fruit and vegetables in your diet? or omega 3 fatty acids? Do you drink soda? Or beverages with high fructose corn syrup, or just straight sugar for that matter? Have you tried going gluten free? That alone is a trigger for many people's acne. Or milk? Do you drink alot of milk? I don't hate dairy as much as some many think. I actually have respect for kefir and yoghurt (fermented dairy) as this can provide beneficial bacteria to the gut. But only if it is organic, and anti-biotic/growth hormone free. Stonyfield Farms makes a great organic yoghurt

But yeah, there is alot you could be doing internally. And i 100% agree with Sasch83 that pro activ is crap. I used it for 4 years, and harsh topicals aren't the answer to acne. OCM either works wonders for people, or it causes their acne to get worse. I make a toner that might help you in your topical approach to acne. It's 100% natural, and highly unlikely to cause a breakout. If it does anything for you, it's very likely going to be a positive. I'll link you to the thread

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/316478-green-teasea-salt-toner-effective-and-easy-to-make/

MemberMember
(@anb1998)

Posted : 12/14/2012 8:14 pm

I don't eat as bad as most other kids my age but I don't eat that great either. I try not to drink anything but water and I drink 8-16 cups of water a day. I don't eat organic or anything but most of the time I eat pretty healthy. I'm not using the retin-a yet. I'm trying oxy maximun strength daily face wash now because of so many great reviews on it. I'll update in about a week.