Notifications
Clear all

Mineral Makeup Decent At Covering Cystic/nodular Acne?

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 12/12/2012 10:20 am

I'd like to know a few things about mineral makeup:

1) Does mineral makeup provide decent coverage for cystic/nodular acne? (I realize that you can't really cover large lumps and such, but I find it better to still make them more flesh tone to help hide them a little better.)

2) Have you found a brand of mineral makeup that works well for covering more severe acne? If so, please share its name. :)

3) If you have indented scarring, do you find that mineral makeup settles into your scars, making them more noticeable the longer that you have it on?

4) How well does mineral makeup stay in place on very oily skin? (Do you need to use blotting paper and reapply more mineral makeup during the day?)

Thank you,

PI

MemberMember
(@iggysob)

Posted : 12/13/2012 12:42 pm

Hi there, I have tried quite a few different brands of mineral makeup, and I find that at least some brands give really great coverage. The coverage level is mostly determined by the amount of zinc and/or titanium dioxide, so you should look for something that has one of those listed as the first ingredient. Lucy Minerals is the most heavy coverage I have found so far. They also have two different oil control formulas. At the moment I am using Beauty From the Earth minerals which I really like also. The coverage is not as heavy, but buildable and I find it really mattifying. I also like Jane Iredale and Lily Lolo.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 12/16/2012 12:58 pm

I have used mineral makeup from ELF and J. Lynne cosmetics. The ELF brand sucked, was cakey and crappy and made my skin irritated. The J. Lynne seems to work well at first, but after the makeup sits for a long time it seems to irritate my skin. I'm not sure if this is because if becomes infested with bacteria or what.

So now I'm trying to use high-quality liquid primers and foundations and see if those work better for me.

But yeah, if you're going to go the mineral route, try J. Lynne cosmetics. It won't cover massive cysts but it will help with the scars.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 12/17/2012 1:37 am

I have tried quite a few different brands of mineral makeup, and I find that at least some brands give really great coverage. The coverage level is mostly determined by the amount of zinc and/or titanium dioxide, so you should look for something that has one of those listed as the first ingredient.

I didn't realize that a mineral makeup's coverage is dependent upon its zinc and/or titanium dioxide content. Thank you for sharing that info. :)

Lucy Minerals is the most heavy coverage I have found so far. They also have two different oil control formulas. At the moment I am using Beauty From the Earth minerals which I really like also. The coverage is not as heavy, but buildable and I find it really mattifying. I also like Jane Iredale and Lily Lolo.

I'm completely unfamiliar with Lucy Minerals, Beauty from the Earth, and Lily Lolo. Guess I have my research cut out for me. I've heard mostly good things about Jane Iredale, though I'm under the impression that it's a bit overpriced compared to other good mineral makeup.

One member recommended Alima Pure to me, though I've the impression that it offers lighter coverage. The plus is that it contains both zinc and titanium dioxide. But it also contains mica, which I've heard can irritate sensitive skin. Hmmm...

I have used mineral makeup from ELF and J. Lynne cosmetics. The ELF brand sucked, was cakey and crappy and made my skin irritated. The J. Lynne seems to work well at first, but after the makeup sits for a long time it seems to irritate my skin. I'm not sure if this is because if becomes infested with bacteria or what.

Based on your experience with both ELF and J. Lynne mineral makeup--neither of which I'd heard of before--I think it's best if I avoid them. My skin is very sensitive and can, at the very least, develop little red bumps--superficial acne?--from hypoallergenic/non-comedongenic/non-acnegenic makeup. *sigh*

So now I'm trying to use high-quality liquid primers and foundations and see if those work better for me.

I'm curious: what primer(s) and foundation(s) are you using? How are they working for you?

Also, do you have indented scarring? If so, do you find that mineral makeup and liquid makeup make your scars look worse (deeper) as the day wears on? That is, do both makeup types tend to sink in (or wear off) your face as your skin's oil builds up?

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 12/17/2012 7:26 am

I haven't tried any of them yet, actually. I've been ordering stuff and trying to develop a new routine. This week I bought:

1. hourglass veil mineral primer (supposed to be good but we'll see)

2. revlon colorstay foundation

3. maybelline fit me concealer

Once the primer arrives I'll be able to test out the whole routine. Then I just need to find a decent powder to set everything and I'll be good to go. I have the high definition powder by ELF and it's kind of a knock off of the more expensive ones. It makes your skin look really nice in photographs, but I am always hesitant to use it because it smells like chemicals. :( I hope to find a more mild powder I can use.

MemberMember
(@iggysob)

Posted : 12/17/2012 11:25 am

Happy to help :) Definitely check out Lucy - it's an online company, and the owner is very nice and friendly. I agree that Jane Iredale is overpriced. The good thing about it is that it is available in a pressed compact which is a bit less messy... As for primers I am using one called Etude House cotton touch powder cream spf 50 at the moment, and I really like it. It goes on smooth with a matte finish. Have to buy it online though. I find it helps with staying power as well.

MemberMember
(@yanagupta)

Posted : 12/28/2012 3:24 am

which mineral make up is the best? Is sheer cover worth buying? I've heard it gives a sensation of burning after applying and if getting it exposed to sunlight. Is that true?

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 12/30/2012 2:11 pm

I haven't tried any of them yet, actually. I've been ordering stuff and trying to develop a new routine. This week I bought:

Once the primer arrives I'll be able to test out the whole routine. Then I just need to find a decent powder to set everything and I'll be good to go. I have the high definition powder by ELF and it's kind of a knock off of the more expensive ones. It makes your skin look really nice in photographs, but I am always hesitant to use it because it smells like chemicals. sad.png I hope to find a more mild powder I can use.

Happy to report that I tested my new makeup routine this week and it works GREAT. It covered everything so much better and looked WAY less cakey than mineral makeup. The primer is especially amazing. Best of all--no breakouts from wearing this all day (including the high definition powder I was worried about). I'm so happy! :)

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 01/01/2013 10:46 am

Happy to report that I tested my new makeup routine this week and it works GREAT. It covered everything so much better and looked WAY less cakey than mineral makeup. The primer is especially amazing. Best of all--no breakouts from wearing this all day (including the high definition powder I was worried about). I'm so happy! smile.png

I'm very glad to know that this makeup regimen works well for you. I'm curious to try Revlon Colorstay foundation, although all liquid makeup eventually looks worse on my skin--after about 5-6 hours, I'd say.

By chance, do you have indented scarring from acne? If so, does your new makeup regimen help conceal their depth better? (In my experience, any/all foundation seems to sink into scars over the course of the day--as skin gets more oily and loses its plumpness--and, thus, makes them more noticeable. But I'm holding on to hope that something might not make them look worse and even conceal them better.)

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 01/05/2013 7:12 am

Once the primer arrives I'll be able to test out the whole routine. Then I just need to find a decent powder to set everything and I'll be good to go. I have the high definition powder by ELF and it's kind of a knock off of the more expensive ones. It makes your skin look really nice in photographs, but I am always hesitant to use it because it smells like chemicals. sad.png I hope to find a more mild powder I can use.

Happy to report that I tested my new makeup routine this week and it works GREAT. It covered everything so much better and looked WAY less cakey than mineral makeup. The primer is especially amazing. Best of all--no breakouts from wearing this all day (including the high definition powder I was worried about). I'm so happy! smile.png

That's great you've found something that works well for you :)

I was just wondering - what's the coverage of the maybelline concealer like?

I've heard great things about that primer too so I might get some of that eventually...

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 01/05/2013 12:37 pm

Hey everyone! If you need a good primer for only skin try out milk of magnesia and monistat chafing powder gel. The are both great makeup primers that are not meant to be makeup primers! They're both really affordable to buy as well :) you can watch reviews about them on YouTube

As for the mineral makeup I liked bare minerals but can no longer afford it. It had a nice finish with buildable coverage. I'm using revlon photo ready liquid right now and I like it. It does have gold glitter specs in it so beware! I kinda like that because it makes my face look a little dewy :D