Notifications
Clear all

Why Prolactin May Cause Acne

MemberMember
(@righthandman)

Posted : 12/10/2012 11:16 pm

Prolactin increases 5-alpha-reductase which is an enzyme that converts testosterone into DHT. DHT is known to cause acne. Prolactin levels between acne patients and "healthy" patients did not differ significantly by much in clincal studies but in patients with acne, the level of Prolactin was directly associated with the severity of acne. Zinc is known to lower prolactin which may be why some people find relief with zinc supplements. Masturbation/sex/orgasm also increases Prolactin which may be why some people find relief with abstinence. I believe that a new approach towards lowering Prolactin may be the answer for some. Personally I am trying to get a prescription for Bromocriptine (Parlodel) to see if it helps. Bromocriptine significantly lowers Prolactin levels. I breakout if I masturbate too often which I believe is a sign for prolactin induced acne. I already made a thread about this in the Acne Research section with more in depth information and links to studies that help to prove my theory. Its just a theory for now but I hope more people can try this out with me. The reason I am making another thread in the Nutrition and Holistic section is so that hopefully more people can notice this topic. Please check it out here:

http://www.acne.org/...may-cause-acne/

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 12/12/2012 11:17 am

Makes sense. People with PCOS have problems with their Prolactin levels and acne is a very common symptom of it.

MemberMember
(@rawhide)

Posted : 12/15/2012 4:50 am

Increasing dopamine will block prolactin. Zinc, magnesium, manganese, vitamin B6, tyrosine/phenylalanine, green tea, Rhodiola, vitamin D, exercise are good methods. A herb called Mucuna raises dopamine quite powerfully. Abstaining from masturbation is indeed also beneficial. Perhaps the digestion issues / poor diet -> lack of precursors and nutrients for neurotransmitter and hormone production -> problems like excess prolactin or DHT may be involved in the acne-pathway.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 12/27/2012 5:04 pm

I just figured barley grass juice also helps in reducing prolactin levels.

http://www.facingacne.com/superfoods-acne/

MemberMember
(@mikito)

Posted : 05/02/2013 5:55 am

Thank you Oner for the research about prolactine. But what do you consider as high levels of prolactine? I am asking this, because I had my blood tested a month ago, and the test indicated 23 of prolactin. Normal levels are suposed to be until 22-23. But last year my blood test indicated 27 and my doctor said that I had hight levels of prolactin and I have always suffered from cystic acne.

What levels of prolactin do you all have?