Notifications
Clear all

Skipping Dinner

MemberMember
(@gman89)

Posted : 12/10/2012 5:24 am

Intermittent fasting has been mentioned extensively and I'm not asking about that specifically. I would like to know if anyone noticed a difference in their skin by skipping dinner, in isolation to other things you may have tried.

I try to be mindful that I should fast for longer periods and I do so by saving time in the morning and skipping breakfast. The upshot of that is I have lunch at 12pm, then have dinner at around 8pm (sometimes later), and then go to bed around midnight.

I still have bad acne even though I've improved my diet a lot, I still cheat a bit and eat a few carbs but I make sure I load my plate with vegetables all the time and only drink tea and water. I'm wondering if the fact that I choose to skip breakfast over dinner could be an issue explicitly. If I decided to skip dinner and eat breakfast I'd probably be fasting for the same amount of time, so in one sense it seems that it won't make a difference. But of course, the human body is more complex than that....

MemberMember
(@scov93)

Posted : 12/10/2012 5:51 am

i think you'll be much better off bringing your eating window down to 4-5 hours. make sure your getting enough calories and that your eating nutrient dense foods

MemberMember
(@gman89)

Posted : 12/10/2012 7:04 am

Ideally I would like to eat all my meals between 12pm and 5pm. I found doing this is quite distracting at work. What is the best time? Does it matter or is it just a function of the amount of time you don't eat?

MemberMember
(@onlyskindeep)

Posted : 12/10/2012 11:36 am

I have recently began skipping dinner. not just due to acne but because I don't konw if it's because im getting older or what i just cant eat close to bed time anymore. even 3 hours before bed. just doesnt sit well with me anymore. So now i pretty much choose between breakfast and lunch and don't eat much past 2pm. I sleep better at night and feel better in the mornings. My expierence only.

MemberMember
(@bmariewantsnoacne)

Posted : 12/10/2012 12:28 pm

Really you should eat every few hours all throughout the day to keep your metabolism up and so you can get enough nutrients. It's kind of like with a car, if you stop putting gas in your car stops working right. If you stop putting healthy foods in your body you stop working right.

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 12/10/2012 12:31 pm

I have recently began skipping dinner. not just due to acne but because I don't konw if it's because im getting older or what i just cant eat close to bed time anymore. even 3 hours before bed. just doesnt sit well with me anymore. So now i pretty much choose between breakfast and lunch and don't eat much past 2pm. I sleep better at night and feel better in the mornings. My expeirence only.

Getting older should not affect your digestion if you are a healthy individual. I would highly recommend looking into SIBO (Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) and leaky gut syndrome. If food isn't sitting right in your stomach after a certain time, you could benefit from natural treatments for these things, which often clears up acne as well.

MemberMember
(@scov93)

Posted : 12/10/2012 12:45 pm

Really you should eat every few hours all throughout the day to keep your metabolism up and so you can get enough nutrients. It's kind of like with a car, if you stop putting gas in your car stops working right. If you stop putting healthy foods in your body you stop working right.

you can consume all the necessary micro and macro nutrients in one meal if you wanted to and the best way to boost your metabolism is to build muscle and by doing high intensity exercise

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/10/2012 4:33 pm

It doesn't really matter how you do it. I prefer to skip dinner or eat minimal calories most days. And I can't say about any improvement in my skin. My diet changes cleared me before trying intermittent fasting.

MemberMember
(@onlyskindeep)

Posted : 12/11/2012 4:56 am

I have recently began skipping dinner. not just due to acne but because I don't konw if it's because im getting older or what i just cant eat close to bed time anymore. even 3 hours before bed. just doesnt sit well with me anymore. So now i pretty much choose between breakfast and lunch and don't eat much past 2pm. I sleep better at night and feel better in the mornings. My expeirence only.

Getting older should not affect your digestion if you are a healthy individual. I would highly recommend looking into SIBO (Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) and leaky gut syndrome. If food isn't sitting right in your stomach after a certain time, you could benefit from natural treatments for these things, which often clears up acne as well.

Thank you for your input. That very well may be possible. However I can't say eating close to bed time ever made me sick. Perhaps when I said it doesn't sit well with me was a poor choice of words. I just feel better when i do it. Less weighed down if you will. I do though try to keep an open mind and I thank you again for your insight.

MemberMember
(@onlyskindeep)

Posted : 12/15/2012 11:17 am

yes

MemberMember
(@uncle-buck)

Posted : 12/15/2012 4:07 pm

It's nothing like that. If you want to compare it to a car, then you would be putting tiny amounts of fuel in there after every short trip to the shops.

Not very efficient for you or the car.