Notifications
Clear all

My Heartbreaking Experience With Minocycline

MemberMember
(@charles23)

Posted : 12/08/2012 8:57 pm

this cleared my acne. but i got depersonalization from it. it is one rare side effect i guess but if your **** dermatologist perscribes this for 6 years you will get it. i would sit and look at myself as if i was looking at my own body from a camera. i had out of body experiences all the time. i thought it was normal. i thought it was * normal for this to happen!!! then i realized something was wrong! i saw it on wiki and realized i had it. i quit monocycline after 5 years and within 2 days this mental disorder was gone. all the acne came back but at least im not no * retard. im sure i would have become a vegetable if i had continued on that *. antibiotics are dangerous. i really wanted to * my dermatologist when i went in for my checkup. i wish i could have * him and ***** his * on the wall!! *** me up! i didn't do it though. not worth it. the of a ** will burn in *. dont use this * it will * u up worst than accutane. it also ruined my immune system. when i started this antibiotic i had light red pimples 2 a week. when i went off it i had 100 whiteheads. that is because of bacterial resistance. if i had used natural cures like zinc when i was in 6th grade i probably wouldn't even have acne today. the antibiotic killed all the small bacteria and created some monster bacteria that now inhabits my acne sores and is 100 times harder to kill. it is **** *. **** * in a bottle. thats all. it will * you up. no joke. dont take it at all. before i was also really good at sports. now i have no air to breathe in my lungs.

i was always the type of person who said this will never happen to me. but it did. i got in my * by the dermatologist. he stuck his **** antibiotic * up my so hard that it up my brain. dont take minocycline. worst * mistake i ever made. always research what you get. the dermatologists get payed to * ur life. * ***** * *

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 12/08/2012 9:23 pm

Antibiotics are absolutely not the answer to acne, and should never be used for that purpose. They are only effective at treating a symptom (acne) of a much deeper problem, and are only going to accomplish this while you are on them. Once taken off, which you will inevitably be, you will have successfully destroyed your beneficial bacteria in your gut, and will be in an even more vulnerable state than you were before you went on them.

Charles, what have you done to address your acne? Diet? Topicals?

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/08/2012 10:02 pm

yup. exact same happened to me.

MemberMember
(@anb1998)

Posted : 12/16/2012 9:26 pm

I'm on minocycline right now. I only take 100 for 16 days though. Is 16 days going to hurt me?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/28/2012 6:42 am

Antibiotics are absolutely not the answer to acne, and should never be used for that purpose. They are only effective at treating a symptom (acne) of a much deeper problem, and are only going to accomplish this while you are on them. Once taken off, which you will inevitably be, you will have successfully destroyed your beneficial bacteria in your gut, and will be in an even more vulnerable state than you were before you went on them.

Oh Jesus, that's just great. I've been on Solodyn for 9 months and yeah when I tried to stop for 2 weeks things flared up again. Can Cycline-class drugs really mess with the good bacteria in your gut? Is there a way to reverse it if so? Also, if Solodyn and similar meds are so bad, what other options do we really have for persistent internal cystic acne? It's not like Accutane is the safest of options either.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 12/28/2012 5:05 pm

Oh Jesus, that's just great. I've been on Solodyn for 9 months and yeah when I tried to stop for 2 weeks things flared up again. Can Cycline-class drugs really mess with the good bacteria in your gut? Is there a way to reverse it if so? Also, if Solodyn and similar meds are so bad, what other options do we really have for persistent internal cystic acne? It's not like Accutane is the safest of options either.

Good quality probiotics. Eat really healthy, as in nutrient dense, whole, organic foods. And pick up a good quality probiotic blend from a whole foods type store. Nothing like what you can get a wal mart, i don't really trust those, and there aren't enough strains. Not to mention the quality of the strain.

Organic yoghurt and kefir are also great sources of probiotics. If you are shying away from dairy, you can ferment vegetables right from home, and there is loads of info on how to do this online. But for sure, load up on the probiotics, as many kill off the bad bacteria by themselves. Once your ratio has shifted from majority bad bacteria, to majority good, you should start to notice a change. This will be even more noticeable the healthier you eat. As in extremely limited refined sugar intake, junk food, crappy vegetable oils like corn, canola, vegetable, and numerous others. There are quality oils, and these are usually cold pressed/expeller pressed and organic. Also refined white flour should go, as in no bread, at least not the way it's made commercially. And no refined white flour pasta. There's a whole thread on eating paleo in the nutrition section. I can link you to it if you'd like

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/316709-gut-flora-and-leaky-gut-after-5-years-i-finally-found-the-root-cause-and-im-clear-using-the-gut-diet/

And here's a great one in regards to addressing acne from all angles

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/230714-good-things-for-the-many-factors-that-lead-to-acne/

MemberMember
(@asianacne44)

Posted : 12/29/2012 2:54 pm

this is a rare case. i dont really see a case for diet in the prevention of acne. personally i get acne regardless of what i eat. I can even fast and get acne.

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/29/2012 4:18 pm

yes they ruined my gut! i was one minocycline for 2 years and was so clear during that time! when i went off my bacteria was way out of wack. the best way to stop help your gut is to repopulate it with probiotics. probiotics are good bacteria. and a word of advice! DO NOT go off that antibiotic until you have found an alternative for it that you know will work!!! one of the side effects of these antibiotics is that when you do get acne the red marks will last like 4 times as long as normal acne. i have no idea why but it happened to me. i went off the antiobiotic and broke out in about 2 weeks. i have horrible red marks 6 months later from pimples i had about 4 months ago!!!

Good quality probiotics. Eat really healthy, as in nutrient dense, whole, organic foods. And pick up a good quality probiotic blend from a whole foods type store. Nothing like what you can get a wal mart, i don't really trust those, and there aren't enough strains. Not to mention the quality of the strain.

Organic yoghurt and kefir are also great sources of probiotics. If you are shying away from dairy, you can ferment vegetables right from home, and there is loads of info on how to do this online. But for sure, load up on the probiotics, as many kill off the bad bacteria by themselves. Once your ratio has shifted from majority bad bacteria, to majority good, you should start to notice a change. This will be even more noticeable the healthier you eat. As in extremely limited refined sugar intake, junk food, crappy vegetable oils like corn, canola, vegetable, and numerous others. There are quality oils, and these are usually cold pressed/expeller pressed and organic. Also refined white flour should go, as in no bread, at least not the way it's made commercially. And no refined white flour pasta. There's a whole thread on eating paleo in the nutrition section. I can link you to it if you'd like

http://www.acne.org/...g-the-gut-diet/

http://www.acne.org/...t-lead-to-acne/

do you think that drinking apple cider vinegar will help my gut?? i have started drinking it 4 times a day because i think it could help kill the bad bacteria and help me digest bad food that i eat by helping stomach acid to break it down.

this is a rare case. i dont really see a case for diet in the prevention of acne. personally i get acne regardless of what i eat. I can even fast and get acne.

everyone says that until it happens to them. this is what i said.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/29/2012 7:35 pm

On 12/30/2012 at 3:18 AM, Ichance23 said:
On 12/28/2012 at 5:42 PM, John457 said:
On 12/9/2012 at 8:23 AM, onefatalgoose said:

yes they ruined my gut! i was one minocycline for 2 years and was so clear during that time! when i went off my bacteria was way out of wack. the best way to stop help your gut is to repopulate it with probiotics. probiotics are good bacteria. and a word of advice! DO NOT go off that antibiotic until you have found an alternative for it that you know will work!!! one of the side effects of these antibiotics is that when you do get acne the red marks will last like 4 times as long as normal acne. i have no idea why but it happened to me. i went off the antiobiotic and broke out in about 2 weeks. i have horrible red marks 6 months later from pimples i had about 4 months ago!!!

On 12/29/2012 at 4:05 AM, onefatalgoose said:

do you think that drinking apple cider vinegar will help my gut?? i have started drinking it 4 times a day because i think it could help kill the bad bacteria and help me digest bad food that i eat by helping stomach acid to break it down.

On 12/30/2012 at 1:54 AM, asianacne44 said:

everyone says that until it happens to them. this is what i said.

Great, I've been on Solodyn for 9 months but I'm glad that I'm reading about this now. I recently picked up this but in the 45 capsule quantity:

https://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Defense-Probiotics-180-Count/dp/B000GWKA2K/

Are these a good brand, does anyone know? Self-medicating acne is also becoming a quickly expensive endeavor. Here are the current supplements I have begun experimenting with and now take regularly:

Jarrow's Formula Pantethine....................$25.

Twinlab L-Carnitine...................................$25.

Nordic Naturals Omega-3 Fish Oil...........$30.

Garden of Life HSO Probiotic Formula....$25.

Pomology Men's Multi-V............................$25.

The Vitamin D and Zinc supplements, along with the Zinc-Oxide cream, listed in your signature, interest me but that's more money to spend. I'm all for curing my acne but I'd prefer to do it smartly and with the least amount of supplements possible. I know everyone's different so perhaps I will just have to experiment in the beginning. I also want to look into taking a fiber supplement of some kind.

Right now though I'm very excited about the possibility of probiotics, along with fiber, perhaps, of potentially providing a cure.

I was taking Nicomide for 1 month but saw no results. Nicomide contained B5, Zinc, and Folic Acid.

On 12/29/2012 at 4:05 AM, onefatalgoose said:

Thanks very much for the info. I try to eat as clean as possible but of course doing so is near impossible - or so it seems - and transitioning to an entirely organic anti-acne diet is not something that happens overnight. I never drink soda or eat junk food. I try to eat whole grain pasta and bread over white whenever possible. I also eat a lot of organic yogurt and drink a lot of water. I pretty much only drink water, milk, cranberry juice, green tea, and sometimes coffee.

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/29/2012 9:13 pm

i don't like that probiotic. you should not order probiotics online because they are supposed to be refrigerated or the bacteria dies. i recomend buying it at your local whole foods. as for the zinc oxide it is working very well and has worked for many people. i beleive desitin is 6 dollars at walmart and it has 40% zinc oxide.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 12/30/2012 2:21 am

Yep. The o.p. took it for many years (so it is understandable why it messed him up so bad). Me? 4 months is all it took for doxycycline to cause me a whole mess of issues.

Ever since taking doxy, my body acne has quadrupled. I have seborrheic dermatitis ALL over my face and back and body and shoulders and arms...

I get anxiety really fast

My life is basically destroyed

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/30/2012 1:02 pm

Yep. The o.p. took it for many years (so it is understandable why it messed him up so bad). Me? 4 months is all it took for doxycycline to cause me a whole mess of issues.

Ever since taking doxy, my body acne has quadrupled. I have seborrheic dermatitis ALL over my face and back and body and shoulders and arms...

I get anxiety really fast

My life is basically destroyed

me too. when first went off of the the minocycline i had fungus on my arm and neck. its crazy! i had to use selsun blue to kill it and it would spread down my entire arm. it was called tinea versicolor. the reason for this is i beleive that by killing the bacteria in our intestines, antibiotics destroy about half our immune system when i took it for so long like 2 years. if i would have been taking probiotics the whole time i don't think it would have happened. . I have recently read an ncbi page that is called the gut skin brain axis or something like that. Turns out that scientists had a hunch a long time ago that what goes on in our gut affects our skin and our brain. This makes sense to me. depression is improved by taking probiotics. If you do not beleive me look up the study on ncbi. The intestine is much more important than i ever could have fathomed. So now i am tackling my acne by repairing my gut. I beleive it is overrun by bad bacteria. One of the reasons i think this is because of my acne. Also, my breath is extremely bad. However i have started taking these things:

-20 billion probiotic from good belly

-peppermint oil

-apple cider vinegar

-4 billion probiotic reuteri

i have noticed my bad breath going away, signigifant improvement in my mood, and acne is decreasing but i am doing many things for that.

in the end i realize we symbiotically depend on these bacteria. Antibiotics are NOT THE ANSWER because they kill all the bacteria. That is like destroying an entire country instead of helping the smaller states to grow in population and make the country a better place. antibiotics are shock and all. when you really get down to it, I start to wonder what on earth are these doctors thinking???? It seems like they have their heads up their butts to be honest. It scares me.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 12/30/2012 7:15 pm

Not sure if i mentioned this or not, but another great thing everyone can be doing to improve their health/skin issues, is to avoid tap water at all costs. That is, if you live in an area that treats the water supply chemically. When you drink/bath in tap water, you are absorbing chlorine, fluoride, herbicide/pesticides, and numerous other contaminates. Since i live in an area that chemically treats the water, when i shower, i am literally in and out. While taking a hot shower you absorb so much chloroform by breathing the evaporating chlorine, not to mention what you absorb through your skin. And it goes straight to the bloodstream.

For my drinking water, purchase distilled water by the gallon ($0.99 per) and pour that water through a Brita water pitcher with a carbon filter. This ensures that virtually all chlorine gets filtered out. You can also leave your distilled water sitting out in a bucket, and the chlorine will evaporate due to it's extremely low boiling point.

I use distilled so that no fluoride is present. If you've heard bad things about distilled water, and how it can kill you...i've looked at both sides of the argument and...based on everything i've read, it's fine. Cloud water is evaporated water as well. I've been drinking it for a few months now, and i feel perfectly healthy. Don't just take my word for it, research both sides of the argument and make your own decision. Spring water is also another option, although there may be fluoride still present. And any other runoff that has made it into the spring

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/30/2012 7:32 pm

my skin is really red for some reason along with the acne. is that because i wash it too much? or is it the infection of acne? its been that way forever and it's annoying and won't go away.

could it be that i use hot water in the shower to wash my face?

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 01/06/2013 12:30 am

Wow 2 straight years of antibiotics??

How bad is your acne at the moment?

What name brand probiotics are u taking|

i bet antibiotics wont get us clear..

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 01/22/2013 9:59 pm

I've been on a couple different antibiotics for acne over the last 6 years. Doxy, mino, tetracycline you name it. Some times it was for actually being sick, but I did notice every time I was on them my acne would improve. It did stay that way for a while after, but it's not a cure by far. I think I got a few months each time, depending how long I'd been on them. I also went on them for perioral dermatitis a while ago and it helped with that. I started accutane after so I didn't get much of an ib. But I've never heard of someone remaining clear from them. And it's not good to be on long term, because if you get sick and actually need them they might not work anymore because they built up a resistance.

MemberMember
(@loveplastic)

Posted : 02/15/2013 11:47 pm

for those of you who cannot afford probiotics, why not make them at home?

I just finished eating some homemade kefir. If you can make it at home you can make much more potent probiotics than you can get at the store :)