Notifications
Clear all

23 Year Old Male- Log

MemberMember
(@gointhedistance)

Posted : 12/08/2012 2:53 am

Been lurking on the boards for a while now. Been on the fence for years about taking accutane, never wanted to take it due to the side effects. Well after persistent acne after all the treatments and antibiotics I was ready for hopefully something that can curtail my lesions, if not a full remission.

I've had moderate to severe acne for a while now but the antibiotics and the tazorac has kept it at bay for the most part. I finally decided that it was time to go on accutane. I'm graduating college next semester and will be out in the world. Tired of dealing with having acne and putting on topicals and popping antibiotics daily. Can't seem to get clear anymore. Been months now.

I can see the acne that is under my skin but not coming to surface because of the antibiotics. It's pretty nasty how clogged my pores are. I'm probably one of the most oily people in the world as well. People ask me if I gel my hair sometimes when I don't wash it in the morning (obviously I don't do that much). I just sweat so much and I'm always producing oil. It's pretty nuts.

I'm hoping that once the accutane dries me out it'll reduce my pimples rather quickly. I'm really hoping for no initial breakout... Maybe the tazorac prepped my face a little for it? My dermatologist that I saw today said she could give me a steroid cream that would reduce any breakout? Is that true? She acted like an initial breakout can be easily controlled. I hope so because I got this feeling all this stuff under my skin really wants out.

Regardless if I do or not, I'm ready to get through with this. I got blood done today and should be filling out a prescription next week sometime. Seems like a lot of people keep a log while going through with this so I guess if anyone wants to follow they are more then welcome. Ready to get this show on the road... Lets finally get clear for good.

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 12/08/2012 5:15 pm

Hi goingthedistance

I just took my 3rd pill so you won't be far behind me! I also have a lot of oil production and I'm hoping this will also help :) I also have been on tons of antibiotics and don't want to rely on them to keep me clear

I will be watching your log to see your progress! So far I have no side effects so well see :P

MemberMember
(@twinsfan57)

Posted : 12/11/2012 8:08 pm

Been lurking on the boards for a while now. Been on the fence for years about taking accutane, never wanted to take it due to the side effects. Well after persistent acne after all the treatments and antibiotics I was ready for hopefully something that can curtail my lesions, if not a full remission.

I've had moderate to severe acne for a while now but the antibiotics and the tazorac has kept it at bay for the most part. I finally decided that it was time to go on accutane. I'm graduating college next semester and will be out in the world. Tired of dealing with having acne and putting on topicals and popping antibiotics daily. Can't seem to get clear anymore. Been months now.

I can see the acne that is under my skin but not coming to surface because of the antibiotics. It's pretty nasty how clogged my pores are. I'm probably one of the most oily people in the world as well. People ask me if I gel my hair sometimes when I don't wash it in the morning (obviously I don't do that much). I just sweat so much and I'm always producing oil. It's pretty nuts.

I'm hoping that once the accutane dries me out it'll reduce my pimples rather quickly. I'm really hoping for no initial breakout... Maybe the tazorac prepped my face a little for it? My dermatologist that I saw today said she could give me a steroid cream that would reduce any breakout? Is that true? She acted like an initial breakout can be easily controlled. I hope so because I got this feeling all this stuff under my skin really wants out.

Regardless if I do or not, I'm ready to get through with this. I got blood done today and should be filling out a prescription next week sometime. Seems like a lot of people keep a log while going through with this so I guess if anyone wants to follow they are more then welcome. Ready to get this show on the road... Lets finally get clear for good.

Hey guys, I'm getting blood work done tomorrow and am going to start accutane sometime this week. I'm going to follow both of your posts. I'm really excited but nervous as well

MemberMember
(@gointhedistance)

Posted : 12/12/2012 12:32 pm

Thanks guys! I'll be watching yours as well. I don't have much to update really. My derm told me that I will be able to pickup my pills on friday once I get the blood work results.

Acne wise I seem to be doing pretty good. Face not too bad, been off antibiotics for over a week now. Just Tazoracing it up and moisturizing. Ready to start taking this pill and starting the process... I'm really impatient though haha..

MemberMember
(@gointhedistance)

Posted : 12/16/2012 2:49 am

Day 1 is in the books. So far nothing to report. No drying or anything. I suppose that after day 3-4 I will notice some results. Bought a crap ton of chapstick. Already had some cetaphil moisturizer? Are there any supplements I should take? I have been taking Zinc, which I think only makes me get over illness's easier.

Also has anyone smoke a greenish herb while on accutane? I do it sorta daily... so wondering if any ill effects will occur if I were to continue with my bad habit?

MemberMember
(@gointhedistance)

Posted : 12/17/2012 1:07 pm

Day 3 just started, got two new Cyst that I didn't have before. Actually before I started accutane I didn't have any cyst on my face. Currently have one between the bridge of my nose and my eye, really odd place, guess I didn't put any topicals over that area. Also got one that popped up this morning a little left to the nose but not quite on the cheek.

Almost all my whitehead have dried up. Even one that was full blown yesterday morning by the night were gone. That was weird and they never go that fast. I'm so thirsty always. I woke up this morning with a bit of a headache but after guzzling down 3 glasses of water I feel better. Lips are fine. No drying anywhere really. Just as oily as ever, though my forehead appears to be a little less oily.

The only thing that seems to be odd are how vivid and crazy my dreams have been thus far. The first night I had some crazy stuff going on but last night wasn't as bad. I took the pill in the morning so maybe that was a result of it?

Hope everyone is doing well with their treatment!

MemberMember
(@gointhedistance)

Posted : 12/22/2012 2:17 am

Been a couple of days, left my computer back home and for the life of me couldn't sign on with my Iphone to update... weird.

Today marks day 7 and I can say the improvement on my skin has been nothing short of amazing. I'm still getting acne but they seem to go away in matter of 6-12 hours and the only two cyst I have gotten on my face were only bad for one day and went down literally the next day I woke up. Everyday they go down more and more and at this point in time they are unnoticeable.

Blackheads are literally being pushed out as we speak. Pores that have had blackheads for almost 10 years are gone! I can believe it... in just one week my blackheads are 90% gone on my face. On my chest (the only other place I get blackheads) I am over 75% clear, certain areas are completely smooth.

I thought I was getting an IB on my back a couple of days ago but that is clearing up as well. I had one cyst come up but it has dried up already and is in remission.

I know in my original post I spoke about how my pores seemed very clogged but now they seem much better. I had these white bumps under my skin I could see and granted I do still have some but I would say that they have reduced by 50% on my face and body. Also the ones that remain seem to be much smaller and less prominent. It felt like I had beads in my neck but now they are much smaller and in fact some are completely gone.

I don't know if this will continue or if I'll get some bad IB but as now it seems like every day I wake up my acne is better. It's such a relief to get a pimple and know that by the end of the day it will be dried up and gone. It's even better knowing that my cyst go into remission on it's 2nd day.

Side effects haven't been bad at all. Less oil which probably I will have to attribute to a lot of my acne. I'm not too dry right now but then again I have used Tazorac for so long, so if anything my face feels better. My skin does seem to feel tingly and more sensitive. No more weird dreams since taking the pill more early in the day. I got a bad headache once this week, felt like I was really dehydrated but I was guzzling down water like a mad man to stop the head pain. Took an advil and haven't had any head problems since then. If theres anything else I certainly haven't realized or noticed.

All I'm doing is washing with a cetaphil bar of soap morning and night. Moisturize with cetaphil as well at morning and night. Also at night use 100% all natural organic shea butter. My mom bought it for me a couple months ago because it was suppose to moisturize really well and help with scarring. I don't know if it has helped at all with scarring at all but it keeps my skin moist. I even use it on my lips and they aren't getting chapped really at all. I can link the website you can get the shea butter from if anyone is interested. I stopped using it because it made my face too greasy but now that I'm on accutane it just goes straight into my skin.

So far a great first week on accutane, hopefully I'm singing the same tune the rest of the weeks!

MemberMember
(@user101)

Posted : 12/22/2012 2:54 pm

Been a couple of days, left my computer back home and for the life of me couldn't sign on with my Iphone to update... weird.

Today marks day 7 and I can say the improvement on my skin has been nothing short of amazing. I'm still getting acne but they seem to go away in matter of 6-12 hours and the only two cyst I have gotten on my face were only bad for one day and went down literally the next day I woke up. Everyday they go down more and more and at this point in time they are unnoticeable.

Blackheads are literally being pushed out as we speak. Pores that have had blackheads for almost 10 years are gone! I can believe it... in just one week my blackheads are 90% gone on my face. On my chest (the only other place I get blackheads) I am over 75% clear, certain areas are completely smooth.

I thought I was getting an IB on my back a couple of days ago but that is clearing up as well. I had one cyst come up but it has dried up already and is in remission.

I know in my original post I spoke about how my pores seemed very clogged but now they seem much better. I had these white bumps under my skin I could see and granted I do still have some but I would say that they have reduced by 50% on my face and body. Also the ones that remain seem to be much smaller and less prominent. It felt like I had beads in my neck but now they are much smaller and in fact some are completely gone.

I don't know if this will continue or if I'll get some bad IB but as now it seems like every day I wake up my acne is better. It's such a relief to get a pimple and know that by the end of the day it will be dried up and gone. It's even better knowing that my cyst go into remission on it's 2nd day.

Side effects haven't been bad at all. Less oil which probably I will have to attribute to a lot of my acne. I'm not too dry right now but then again I have used Tazorac for so long, so if anything my face feels better. My skin does seem to feel tingly and more sensitive. No more weird dreams since taking the pill more early in the day. I got a bad headache once this week, felt like I was really dehydrated but I was guzzling down water like a mad man to stop the head pain. Took an advil and haven't had any head problems since then. If theres anything else I certainly haven't realized or noticed.

All I'm doing is washing with a cetaphil bar of soap morning and night. Moisturize with cetaphil as well at morning and night. Also at night use 100% all natural organic shea butter. My mom bought it for me a couple months ago because it was suppose to moisturize really well and help with scarring. I don't know if it has helped at all with scarring at all but it keeps my skin moist. I even use it on my lips and they aren't getting chapped really at all. I can link the website you can get the shea butter from if anyone is interested. I stopped using it because it made my face too greasy but now that I'm on accutane it just goes straight into my skin.

So far a great first week on accutane, hopefully I'm singing the same tune the rest of the weeks!

you say your blackheads are being pushed out, already??, thats super fast.....whats your daily dosage and how much do you weigh?.....

MemberMember
(@twinsfan57)

Posted : 12/22/2012 5:56 pm

Dude that's so great to hear! I'm on day 5 and just like you predicted, that breakout on one side of my face has all cleared and all I have is red marks. As of now, I am 95% percent flat and I'm loving it. Good luck to you, I hope you keep seeing improvement!

MemberMember
(@gointhedistance)

Posted : 12/22/2012 8:09 pm

Dude that's so great to hear! I'm on day 5 and just like you predicted, that breakout on one side of my face has all cleared and all I have is red marks. As of now, I am 95% percent flat and I'm loving it. Good luck to you, I hope you keep seeing improvement!

Yeah man so far so good. Good to hear all your bumps have gone down. It's crazy how quickly one pimple comes and goes. Red Marks are whole lot better than scars I can assure you. I'm sure we'll have some more bumps on our road to clearness but at least it's good to know that this stuff will work. I'm hoping that the early improvements of my skin will mean that I'll be endure all the dryness but less of the initial breakout. The whole blackhead thing was crazy honestly. Good luck to you sir!

Also to the user101 fella, I'm taking 40 mg a day. I weigh 170 lb's and I'm 5'11". Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

MemberMember
(@gointhedistance)

Posted : 12/23/2012 2:35 pm

So I'm coming to the conclusion that tazorac was really messing with my skin. My face was always so red and looked really bad. My pimples were so inflamed. I got some pastey irish ass skin. I always felt topical, though made me produce less blemishes, made the overall appearance of my skin not look normal. I do think that Tazorac has prepped my face for accutane some. Atleast I've had an IB out before from it.

I believe today marks day 9 on accutane. I'm still clearing up. Blackheads are just pushing there way out all over my body. The smaller ones for most part have been pushed out on my face but now the deeper ones are making there way out. They come out like yellowish dark little grains. Really odd but I've noticed if I just leave them alone they leave no mark on my face. I have maybe 2-3 actives on my face but they come and go so quickly. One whitehead is really deep in my skin and has been there for almost a year now. It's now making it's way to the top but I'm hoping that the accutane makes it go down because I'm afraid it would lead to some unwanted scarring. Had 3 pimples on my forehead last night and thought I might be getting an IB up there but they are already gone and just a couple red marks remain. My body is no longer oily from the eye brows and down. My forehead is just a little and my hair still is pretty oily.

I'm getting cyst in really weird areas. One on my forearm. One on the back of my thigh and one around belt line. Really odd but then again I have always gotten cyst in really weird areas.

Really happy that it continues to work and my skin is progressing. I'm still hoping and praying that I get no IB. Might put up a picture soon.. I just don't like disclosing too much information on the internet. I'm paranoid about my private life... haha. But it might happen. Hope everyone else is doing swell and having a merry time of the year!

MemberMember
(@gointhedistance)

Posted : 12/27/2012 2:03 am

Today was day 12 if I'm counting correctly. No longer getting whiteheads. Currently I have a cyst on my forehead that is active and some really small stuff on the right side of my face near my side burn. When I say small I mean a cyst that is in remission, a blackhead that is coming out and small nodule that I'm positive won't come to a head (these never do for me). I did get a cyst a couple days ago near the right side of my mouth it headed and dried up and is now going down. The very deep white head that I spoke of earlier almost came to a head and then went back down and has been getting smaller which is really nice. I was worried that it was going to grow into a big one and leave some damage. The blackheads come and go but no one can really see them. After washing my face most of them are gone but the pores seem to fill up with gunk as the day goes by. I guess I understand what people mean by a sand paper like feel to your nose.

I have 2 cyst on my body. One on my neck which came to a head but is dried up and in remission. The same thing is true about the one on my forearm. I feel like in the next day or two they will be gone. My back is completely clear minus red marks. Before starting accutane I probably had 15 pimples on my back. I really can't believe it. My chest still has black heads that come and go but just like my face if I wash it with soap a large percentage of the gunk comes out of my pores.

I don't really have many side effects. I'm more thirsty I guess. I keep chapstick in my pocket so I just apply when necessary. My face no longer produces oil! I use to be one of the most oily people in the world and in just almost two weeks it's a thing of the past. My body isn't sore at all. I get tired a little easier, randomly passed out watching tv tonight.

Honestly this is the clearest my skin has been in almost a year but skin looks healthier than it did a year ago. Before the topicals would just make my face more red. Now my face is white again. It's crazy after 3 years to see my natural skin color again. I no longer break out in areas that I thought I had no control over. I did everything my dermatologist told me and in yet I kept breaking out. Now I have mild acne in 12 days. I'm hoping for no bad IB but it honestly just seems to be getting better, I'm still getting pimples but's reducing on a daily basis. Hope I'm not jinxing myself... haha

MemberMember
(@gointhedistance)

Posted : 12/29/2012 3:32 am

Day 14. Kinda have hit a road block as of now. My forehead is getting hit the hardest but luckily my hair covers it. Coincidentally that is where I was worse applying tazorac. Hmmm.... The rest of my face is pretty ok, better then when I started. No longer producing oil has reduced a lot of my normal blemishes. A lot of it stuff just coming out that was under my skin before. My blackheads are really pushing there way out. Feels like sandpaper in different parts around my face, pretty nasty. I'm not as inflamed as I used to be which is just amazing because it made things so much worse. I have one pimple I can feel coming right above my chin that I can tell will be trouble.

Body is doing fine, almost no active pimples and no cyst which is less painful. Getting super dry though had to wake up in the middle of the night because of super dry itchy chest. Going to need a body moisturizer soon I reckon.

I'm tired all day and get so thirsty. Chapped lips and getting a couple rashes on the back of my hands but they are really small. Might move taking the pill back later at night. Maybe the symptoms will ensue later at night when productions is less necessary, especially when school starts over again. Also need to drink more water. Maybe strap and IV to my arm... haha. Damn it's late again... need to pass out. GTD out.

I think I need to get more sleep, damn neighbors dog has been barking like maniac the last couple of mornings. I can sleep through it but I have barking in my dreams.

MemberMember
(@user101)

Posted : 12/29/2012 1:12 pm

Day 14. Kinda have hit a road block as of now. My forehead is getting hit the hardest but luckily my hair covers it. Coincidentally that is where I was worse applying tazorac. Hmmm.... The rest of my face is pretty ok, better then when I started. No longer producing oil has reduced a lot of my normal blemishes. A lot of it stuff just coming out that was under my skin before. My blackheads are really pushing there way out. Feels like sandpaper in different parts around my face, pretty nasty. I'm not as inflamed as I used to be which is just amazing because it made things so much worse. I have one pimple I can feel coming right above my chin that I can tell will be trouble.

Body is doing fine, almost no active pimples and no cyst which is less painful. Getting super dry though had to wake up in the middle of the night because of super dry itchy chest. Going to need a body moisturizer soon I reckon.

I'm tired all day and get so thirsty. Chapped lips and getting a couple rashes on the back of my hands but they are really small. Might move taking the pill back later at night. Maybe the symptoms will ensue later at night when productions is less necessary, especially when school starts over again. Also need to drink more water. Maybe strap and IV to my arm... haha. Damn it's late again... need to pass out. GTD out.

I think I need to get more sleep, damn neighbors dog has been barking like maniac the last couple of mornings. I can sleep through it but I have barking in my dreams.

your logs are well written, and very descriptive, nice....it is good that the blackheads are coming out for you, nothing yet for me....keep the logs going...

MemberMember
(@gointhedistance)

Posted : 01/03/2013 4:58 am

Welcome to the late night addition of my accutane log, I believe today was day 19 on accutane. I didn't take my pill in NYE because I planned on drinking some. I probably had 5-6 beers and a couple pulls of some cheap champagne (classy right?).

So far my face has pretty much stayed the same. No new cyst really outside of one that popped up on my jaw line, big daddy on the left corner of my face. Cyst on my forehead continues to rage on. I shaved for the first time in a long one, have no fear blogger world I grow facial hair like 14 year old mexican. Usually when I shave though my acne flares up real bad and I breakout more than usual. I can confidently say for the first time in god knows how many years that didn't happen. My mom says I look a couple years younger now. Shaved face and some acne will do that for you.

My face and body continues push out all the gunk, including the billions of blackheads. Feels like sandpaper if I don't wash my face or body for any time, just have to clean out the pores and give them a fresher start. I'm still breaking out less then before I started and the amount of actives I have on my face has reduced greatly. I'm gonna be real happy when I can rub my fingers on my nose and it doesn't feel like sand paper. Or if this deep whitehead from the dinosaur age on my face doesn't go away. It goes up. It goes down. But lingers like some old used shorts left in your gym bag. I want to pop the son of a gun but I think accutane will do a better job than me. All I have managed to do is add unwanted scarring. So I think I'll let the acne treatment to the drug and just wait patiently.

Not acne related... Met a pretty cute girl the other night on NYE. Didn't talk to her for too long but she added me on facebook the very next day, which is usually a good sign, at least historically for me... Better question is if I want to pursue. Prolly just gonna sit back and let the cards fall on this one.

Hope everyone had a safe and happy new year. I'll try to do a more comprehensive post sometime soon when I'm more alert. Good night/morning accutane log world.

MemberMember
(@gointhedistance)

Posted : 01/04/2013 6:09 pm

Day 21: Today I don't have much to say. I'm getting a couple pimples on my left cheek after not having any for awhile. I think this might be the initial breakout. The whiteheads have most gone away but bigger nodules seem to be occurring more, which is rather disappointing. I don't know, I feel like my face is redder now. Black heads seem to be pushing there way out more and more. It's really nasty.

Side effects: Minor lower back pain, a little bit of a head ache, dry lips, no oil productions, and really dry hair.

MemberMember
(@gointhedistance)

Posted : 01/05/2013 4:08 am

Really hate my hair right now. I feel like I might be losing hair too. Also got another cyst popping up. I'm gonna say it now, wish I could fast forward 4-5 months. Oh well....

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 01/05/2013 4:20 am

Any body acne so far?

Good luck bro

MemberMember
(@gointhedistance)

Posted : 01/07/2013 4:03 am

Any body acne so far?

Good luck bro

Not much, not as bad as before. Overall things have gotten better. I have a couple pimples on my back and 1 cyst currently compared to pre-accutane I would have 12-15 on my back. Blackheads are pushing out on my chest, which is pretty nasty. Had a pimple on my forearm of all places but it's gone now.

Day 22-23 not really sure to be honest. Got a nodule on each cheek, both have headed and are gonna scar a little no matter what I do. Crap keeps coming to the surface. Nothing really too new to report. My face is kinda staying the same. Less little white heads now though. Blackheads are gushing through on my nose. All of these grain like beads come out of my skin at some points. Nodules and cyst seem to be my foe moving forward. Everything seems to surface eventually and some of it is much more stubborn then before.

I just want the damage to my skin to stop. All the crap under my skin is so annoying... Soon I'll be acne free maybe another month from now? I kept my shampoo/conditioner on for a couple minutes this time and my hair feels much better. It was laying really flat and was sore/dry. Feels much more normal now. I think I am getting some thinning so hopefully that goes away after treatment. Having scars and being bald would be a nightmare.

Dry lips, hair and skin. Sore joints and slight pain in lower back.

MemberMember
(@gointhedistance)

Posted : 01/19/2013 12:26 am

I had to discontinue use of accutane. I started getting a lot anxiety about my hair loss. Over the last month I have lost 15 lb's, which I didn't even realize. My face did almost completely clear in one month though. All blackheads are gone. Sadly I think the drug worked to well on me. Only 3 active pimples.

I was getting pretty depressed. I felt really bad overall and really tired. My hair was no longer receiving oil and it was getting damaged horrible. Small baby hairs were even falling out.The crown of my head shed a lot and my facial hair wasn't even growing out as much. My scalp was really dry and I was experiencing a really bad itchy pain. Really tender. My doctor gave me a steroid to apply topically.

My dermatologist heard my symptoms and told me to discontinue use immediately last tuesday. I'm really bummed about still having acne but I don't think I would have been able to go the full 5 months without things only getting worse. I was pretty much breaking down on monday, took me almost all day to take the pill with some food. Everything seemed 100x worse. I felt like a panic attack would ensue any minute. I feel much better now and according to my derm the drug should be 90% out of my system. My lips are still getting chapped but some of my oil is starting to come back. Thinning seems to have slowed down and my facial hair is starting to thicken up like it would normally. My scalp is still really dry, flakey and in pain. My hair seems to be retaining some oil now. The hairs that fall out seemed extra thin and damaged at the follicle. Also one side seems to have lost more. It's where I part my hair, so I'm afraid my pulling on my weaker fragile hair might have induced some of it. Regardless, the combo of weight loss, depression/anxiety and hair thinning was enough for my doctor to discontinue treatment immediately and setting up an emergency appointment next friday.

I know the drug can be tolerated by some and not by others. I'm one of the small few that were getting more severe side effect to go along with the more minors ones. It sucks that my body reacted too severely but I'm strong believer that I can over come acne or reduce it as much as humanly possible. I need to find my regimen, one thing I did learn is that black heads and clogged pores appear to my biggest problem. Anti-biotics are much safer for me atleast. I'll happily go on that and put creams on my face then to be falling down the rabbit hole like that again. I have never been like this before in my life. My family members realized, my bestfriend was concerned when I didn't answer his phone calls, and my roomates though I was being aloof. Like I said this have never been the case before in my life. To be honest I felt like I was a chemo patient with the loss of appetite and hair loss. The depression and anxiety just made it 100x worse.

Good luck to everyone else out there, I hope your bodies don't react like mine. It sucks that it came to this but I'm happy that I'm out before something harmful happened to me. I cannot stress more that if you experience side effects like mine to call your doctor immediately. Don't suffer or suck it up. The long term side effects could be much worse.

GoingTheDistance out... pretty ironic tag name for someone who had to stop their course... haha.

MemberMember
(@zhfac)

Posted : 01/19/2013 1:36 am

Hey, sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you. There was a point about a month ago where I thought I was going to quit as well, so I totally understand where you're coming from, though I don't think my symptoms were as visually apparent as yours. I hope you have success with other treatments, or maybe someday just "grow out" of it, if that's even possible.