Notifications
Clear all

White Pustules Around Mouth/nose. Pictures Included.

MemberMember
(@t0m)

Posted : 12/06/2012 7:57 pm

Hi,

Pictures here!

I seem to just get horrible white pustules come and go around my mouth area and in the corners of my nose. I have been to the doctors 7 or 8 times in the last year trying to get rid of this.

They have told me they think it could be a number of things. A bacterial infection, folliculitis, mild acne. I have been on Fluloxacillin (sp?) twice for 2 week period first (which very almost cleared it up fully), then a further 2 week period with little effect. I was then put on oxytetracycline, was on that for a long period with little effect and now they have put me in lymecycline.

I take my medication religiously and have tried many topical treatments.

Does anybody else have something similar, what can I try? I know its not as bad as a lot of peoples on here, but it really affects me as its right on the lip line in a lot of cases.

Thanks.

MemberMember
(@grubby456)

Posted : 01/12/2013 1:54 pm

I have the EXACT same things as you, the only thing that has worked for me is benzoyl peroxide, it get rid of bumps 100% but redness remains (better than nothing)

update if you have found something, apparently hibiclens could be our answer (haven't tried yet)

MemberMember
(@krik)

Posted : 04/28/2014 8:08 am

Hello, after long, long search, I have finnaly found someone with exaclty same type of skil problem as I, for many years now.
Have anyone had something like this and found any proper treatment or anything that could improve this type of condition? Any answer would be very appreciated.
Thanks

MemberMember
(@t0m)

Posted : 04/28/2014 12:42 pm

Hello, update time!

In the last couple of years I have managed to get it to a manageable state. I have since been completely clear on specific medication.

I however have been unable to use my desired medication because of side effects and since changing antibiotic it has creeped back a bit. I am much more comfortable now though, it is no where near as bad as I have had it previously.

I live in the UK so my medication is most likely from various parts of the EU, not sure if the same brands are available in the US(if you are from US), but the actual drugs themselves should be about.

I am using a retinoid called adapalene (Differin is the brand) every night, just spread over the affected areas

I use a chlorhexidine solution on the affected area in the mornings when I shower. (Cepton is the brand)

The antibiotic I took to get clear was Minocycline. But you cannot stay on this antibiotic forever. It can cause discolouration of your skin (typically gums, makes the go brown) and is bad for your kidney or liver, I forget which. The dermatologist suggested I only stay on it for a maximum of 18months.

I think I stopped short of 18months just recently, I was at about 15months(1 month ago) and reverted back to Lymecycline. Changing antibiotic has brought about a recurrence of my skin problems, but it is a lot milder and I expected it! I'm going to give Lymecycline a good 3 - 6months to kick in. After that period I hope to be clear again.

I use tea tree oil to spot treat. I get a q-tip(cotton bud in the UK), run one end under a trickling cold tap then pour 1 drop of tea tree oil on the same end and just dab it over any areas I can see a spot forming.

That isnt all!

Every morning post shower, I tone my face with a toner and cotton swab and moisturise with a typical 15spf sun cream.

I'll break it down.

Morning:

Shower (chlorhexidine@face) > Post shower I tone my skin > Immediately after I tea tree oil spot treat (if any) > moisturise with sun cream

After work when I get home:

Check face for possible spots > tea tree oil treatment if necessary

Night(just before bed):

Antibiotic > Apply Adapelene > goto sleep

I dont shave, just trim my beard. I have found shaving to be both a help and a hindrance, I am not keen using a blade on my face when I have pustules as they can cause a right mess, at the same time they can also make them disappear before they even start. I just try and avoid shaving as I already have a long regimen (for me anyway!) and only shave if its just getting awful.

I am currently happy!

Please let me know if any of you have found a good solution.

Edit: Added some comparison pictures! Before(late 2012) and After(Apr 2014).

MemberMember
(@krik)

Posted : 04/28/2014 6:03 pm

Woah, didnt expect for such fast reply. Thanks!
But antibiotics and creams you listed, seem to be very strong medicine, arent you afraid that using them long-term could do a big damage to your body?

MemberMember
(@silverlight22)

Posted : 07/08/2014 4:19 pm

On 4/28/2014 at 1:42 PM, t0m said:

Hello, update time!

In the last couple of years I have managed to get it to a manageable state. I have since been completely clear on specific medication.

I however have been unable to use my desired medication because of side effects and since changing antibiotic it has creeped back a bit. I am much more comfortable now though, it is no where near as bad as I have had it previously.

I live in the UK so my medication is most likely from various parts of the EU, not sure if the same brands are available in the US(if you are from US), but the actual drugs themselves should be about.

I am using a retinoid called adapalene (Differin is the brand) every night, just spread over the affected areas

I use a chlorhexidine solution on the affected area in the mornings when I shower. (Cepton is the brand)

The antibiotic I took to get clear was Minocycline. But you cannot stay on this antibiotic forever. It can cause discolouration of your skin (typically gums, makes the go brown) and is bad for your kidney or liver, I forget which. The dermatologist suggested I only stay on it for a maximum of 18months.

I think I stopped short of 18months just recently, I was at about 15months(1 month ago) and reverted back to Lymecycline. Changing antibiotic has brought about a recurrence of my skin problems, but it is a lot milder and I expected it! I'm going to give Lymecycline a good 3 - 6months to kick in. After that period I hope to be clear again.

I use tea tree oil to spot treat. I get a q-tip(cotton bud in the UK), run one end under a trickling cold tap then pour 1 drop of tea tree oil on the same end and just dab it over any areas I can see a spot forming.

That isnt all!

Every morning post shower, I tone my face with a toner and cotton swab and moisturise with a typical 15spf sun cream.

I'll break it down.

Morning:

Shower (chlorhexidine@face) > Post shower I tone my skin > Immediately after I tea tree oil spot treat (if any) > moisturise with sun cream

After work when I get home:

Check face for possible spots > tea tree oil treatment if necessary

Night(just before bed):

Antibiotic > Apply Adapelene > goto sleep

I dont shave, just trim my beard. I have found shaving to be both a help and a hindrance, I am not keen using a blade on my face when I have pustules as they can cause a right mess, at the same time they can also make them disappear before they even start. I just try and avoid shaving as I already have a long regimen (for me anyway!) and only shave if its just getting awful.

I am currently happy!

Please let me know if any of you have found a good solution.

Edit: Added some comparison pictures! Before(late 2012) and After(Apr 2014).

Hey man..I have the same problem as you and am currently trying to wean off antibiotics. I think you have perioral dermatitis. All I can say is that as soon as you become resistant to the antibiotics, you might break out worse than before. This is because antibiotics kill the good bacteria in your gut as well causing leaky gut and candida overgrowth. Google this stuff up and you'll understand what I mean. Try natural things like apple cider vinegar and probiotics (instead of antibiotics) cut out sugar and dairy and you'll notice a huge difference. This type of acne is the most annoying and trust me antibiotics and topical treatment only make it worse in the future. They're good temporary options though. But you don't want to become resistant to it.

MemberMember
(@gilang91)

Posted : 09/22/2014 2:02 am

Hi.. i'm gilang from indonesia. I have exactly same problem. For many years i've tried a lot of medication but none of them seem to be work. I have visited a doctor and he give me clyndamicyn, the infection stop but after one week the pustules continue to spread again. I become really frustated with the condition because its so embarasing. I dont want to continue using clyndamycin because i am afraid of the side effect, beside it is verry expensive.

Until i found a mouisturizer from aestethic clinic called larissa (i think there is only in indonesia). It really help me clear my pustules around my mouth... the moisturizer is some kind of gel... i don't know the exact ingredient its not printed in the tube.but i think it smells like onion. Because they said it made from natural ingredient.

It heals the pustule completely. Even in the firs two day the pustules are drying and the infection stop. Serriously i have terrible infection and there is so many pustules arround my mouth. It makes me cry and i feel ashame when i got to go to campus. But now i've found the right medication and i just want to share.. remind me to attach my picture of the infected area. (Sorry bad english)

MemberMember
(@moaz1806)

Posted : 11/03/2015 11:21 am

Hello everybody, I'm from India. I'm facing this skin problem called Folluculitis(as diagnosed by my dermatologist). I have white pustules mostly around my nose, in mustache and few in the peri-oral area(below lower lip) and few inside the nose too. This problem has been following me since 4 years and still not treated. I tried plenty of medications, for eg:
Oral: Antibiotics like Flucoxacillin and Tertracycline hydrochloride.
Topical: Mupirocin, Nadifloxacin, Betadine skin cleanser, Salicylic acid peel 30%, Warm salt water compress.

All the medications mentioned above showed little to no improvement. Tetracycline though was very effective, I was on 45 days course and all the pustules were cleared, there was not a single one left but the day I completed my course, the pustules reoccured the very next morning. Tetracycline or be it any Antibiotics are very harmful for the body. After all this my doctor decided that may be I should go for Culture and sensitivity test for bacterial and fungal. After the diagnosis my reports says, they're completely normal and there is no growth of bacteria or fungus has been traced.
Please somebody help me with good medication or treatment, this is really embarissing and trying out every new drug is getting expensive and also they're harmful for me as well.
Please check out my pictures to get a correct idea and hope you guys can feel my pain :(
Thanx, would love to hear from you all.

IMG_20150726_213126~2.jpg

IMG_20150721_123525~2.jpg

IMG_20150816_142129~2.jpg

IMG_20150816_142142~2.jpg

MemberMember
(@visage)

Posted : 05/26/2016 3:29 pm

I have this, it started in my nasal area and spread to other areas of my face, and even in my hair behind my ears.

I had been taking Lymecycline antibioticsfor a long time, which seemed to lessen the severity but never fully cured it,and I'm suspiciousmay have even triggered it by killing certain bacteria leaving others to flourish.

I found something which worked for me: taking Vitamin B5, Zinc gluconate and Vitamin A+D3 in the form of Cod Liver Oil capsules.I'm a late 30s male, 5'10", I took about 5-6 capsules of each daily (Swanson brand was cheapest). Be careful and do not overdose on Vitamin A.

It took a few weeks to notice changes but definitely worth trying. Unfortunately I have to stay on this - stopping means it comes back. But still better than long-term anti-biotics.

MemberMember
(@xtionfuse)

Posted : 08/03/2016 7:07 pm

Moaz1806 : I am from india too and exactly the same kind of issue with me as well and I spent thousands of rupees on treatment. Can you please let me know if you found any treatment on this? Please do share with me, I am tired of this now.

MemberMember
(@ruslantisch)

Posted : 08/22/2016 10:12 am

Moaz - I am pretty sure that you have pustular Rosacea, because I have the same thing! I was diagnosed with it by a great dermatologist, and it responded to Rosacea medication. Unfortunately, the pustules are not easy to treat - sodium sulfacetamide sulfur cleanser helped me, along with taking antibiotics like Doxy and Minocycline. Low-dose accutane would also work for you - just google it. But, I have the same kinds of pustules you have and in the exact same places (they are often symmetrical, if they start on one side of the face, they will soon appear on the symmetrical other side of the face too). It is likely Pustular Rosacea.

MemberMember
(@abyot)

Posted : 02/05/2018 1:49 pm

i have the same problem for the last two years , now its affecting my job and i have taken a lot of antibiotics which has been prescribed by doctors but just after one month it will appear again and now it spreading to my back of scalp and chest. these days all am thinking about is this!! am staked. I NEED HELP.

MemberMember
(@ruslantisch)

Posted : 02/09/2018 5:01 pm

abyot, have you been to any dermatologists?
I have had pustules in the exact same area for years, which has befuddled most doctors. The most logical diagnosis that I have received has been pustular rosacea, which has responded positively to Oracea/Doxy, although it is by no means a cure.

MemberMember
(@t0m)

Posted : 02/21/2018 3:35 pm

Hello everyone,

I posted this back in 2012 and I'm sad to say I still have it. Can I direct you all to this post
As it has more replies and ideas and is up to date. They also have the same symptoms.

Newmanm and SpottyCnt liked
MemberMember
(@arch-numan89gmail-com)

Posted : 10/24/2022 2:49 am

First things first, smoking can cause this, also check for any food that causes this. I too had this whenever I eat some deep fried oily foods also some times cheese, check for your diet, and isolate the root cause and avoid having those foods.

MemberMember
(@newmanm)

Posted : 11/25/2023 1:46 am

Hi guys. Just wondering if anyone has anything they could pass on in relation to this condition? I also have it, which started at least 15 years ago. Mid 30s now. Have been off and on 20mg roaccutane for 10 years. A few courses of doxy. All the topical creams and washes. Diet change. 4 different dermatologists. Non smoker and drinker. You name it.. My next option is to go back on accutane but at a lower dose. I was hoping to avoid this so any help would be very much appreciated.

This post was modified 5 months ago by Newmanm
MemberMember
(@ketanvijaykar)

Posted : 01/22/2024 1:27 am

Posted by: @Moaz1806

Hello everybody, I'm from India. I'm facing this skin problem called Folluculitis(as diagnosed by my dermatologist). I have white pustules mostly around my nose, in mustache and few in the peri-oral area(below lower lip) and few inside the nose too. This problem has been following me since 4 years and still not treated. I tried plenty of medications, for eg:
Oral: Antibiotics like Flucoxacillin and Tertracycline hydrochloride.
Topical: Mupirocin, Nadifloxacin, Betadine skin cleanser, Salicylic acid peel 30%, Warm salt water compress.

All the medications mentioned above showed little to no improvement. Tetracycline though was very effective, I was on 45 days course and all the pustules were cleared, there was not a single one left but the day I completed my course, the pustules reoccured the very next morning. Tetracycline or be it any Antibiotics are very harmful for the body. After all this my doctor decided that may be I should go for Culture and sensitivity test for bacterial and fungal. After the diagnosis my reports says, they're completely normal and there is no growth of bacteria or fungus has been traced.
Please somebody help me with good medication or treatment, this is really embarissing and trying out every new drug is getting expensive and also they're harmful for me as well.
Please check out my pictures to get a correct idea and hope you guys can feel my pain :(
Thanx, would love to hear from you all.

A

IMG_20150726_213126~2.jpg

IMG_20150721_123525~2.jpg

IMG_20150816_142129~2.jpg

IMG_20150816_142142~2.jpg

Hi, Did you find any treatment on this ? I have a similar condition.

MemberMember
(@heretohelpyou)

Posted : 03/05/2024 5:15 pm

If you are near Denver, try Skin and Muscles treatment center.

MemberMember
(@priyanshupatel)

Posted : 04/05/2024 3:04 pm

Posted by: @t0m

Hi,

Pictures here!

I seem to just get horrible white pustules come and go around my mouth area and in the corners of my nose. I have been to the doctors 7 or 8 times in the last year trying to get rid of this.

They have told me they think it could be a number of things. A bacterial infection, folliculitis, mild acne. I have been on Fluloxacillin (sp?) twice for 2 week period first (which very almost cleared it up fully), then a further 2 week period with little effect. I was then put on oxytetracycline, was on that for a long period with little effect and now they have put me in lymecycline.

I take my medication religiously and have tried many topical treatments.

Does anybody else have something similar, what can I try? I know its not as bad as a lot of peoples on here, but it really affects me as its right on the lip line in a lot of cases.

Thanks.

Do you get any solution of this problem. Exact same my problem