Notifications
Clear all

Starting Accutane! 22/f

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 12/06/2012 7:41 pm

Soooo today I took my first dosage of accutane! I am on 40mg a day on roaccutane.

I have had mild/ moderate acne since I was 13 or 14. Took antibiotics multiple times,only to come off of them and my skin would go back to the way it was.

I've tried

Doxycycline

Tetracycline

Mini cyclone (most recent)

Erythromycin

Retin a

Benzoyl peroxide from many diff brands or company's

Clindoyxl

Sulfur

Spiro

Different bcps. (Alesse,Yasmin,ortho tri cycline low and for the last 2 years regular ortho

Tea tree oil

Egg whites and probably other things I just can't remember at this moment

Proactive gave me peri oral dermatitis which I finally got rid of! So when I went to my derm she recommended accutane, as I am now starting to get scars.

I have oily skin as well.

I will be keeping a log and updating with pics weekly!

Currently that's what my face looks like after being on monocycline since September.

Sorry, I do have some metro gel on my face , just to make sure my dermatitis doesn't come alive again!

I will also add that I have tried "dieting" and eating healthy etc for about a year and it didn't do anything to my skin.

post-183965-0-81449900-1354840965_thumb.

post-183965-0-81449900-1354840965_thumb.

MemberMember
(@user74659)

Posted : 12/07/2012 1:25 pm

I've tried all the same stuff.... I'm a bit older than you but wish I had started accutane back when I first started getting severe, cysitc acne around your age... I just started 8 days ago and am getting my first IB :( Hang in there and good luck to you! (I am on 60mg/day, 110lb., 29y/o female) Oh and I tried the eating healthy thing, too. Nothing but whole grains, lean proteins and unprocessed food for the past year then this came back far worse than ever before. Been working out too so it just goes to show that all those theories are total BS...

MemberMember
(@heather135)

Posted : 12/07/2012 2:28 pm

Glad u have finally gotten accutane, I just completed my four month course and I am completely clear :) U will get dry skin obviously and aching joints after exercising but if I were you I'd take the same approach I did. So many people have all these side effects from taking accutane but I think people are looking out for these side effects. My journey wasn't bad at all. The dryness is annoying but just take it in your stride and you will be fine :)

MemberMember
(@johnny199r)

Posted : 12/07/2012 2:46 pm

Happy for you!

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 12/07/2012 3:05 pm

Thanks guys! Yeah I'm a bit nervous but I've been looking into the drug for about 2 years and reading tons of blog posts here and you tube videos lol. And brownilocks we are almost at the same place! Hopefully the ib won't be too bad or last too long! And thanks heather, yeah sore joints isn't my main concern. I'm more scared of the hair loss! I just managed to grow my hair to my belly button! Lol hopefully it won't be so bad :)

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 12/08/2012 7:11 pm

Thanks! Yeah so I've heard lol. And I laughed when I read the first thing in big letter: acne sucks.

Actually you have a really great sense of humor about the whole thing!

The only side effect I may have gotten was a nose bleed today, but it doesn't have to be from accutane lol

A bit scared about the ib but I just had the worst perioral dermatitis outbreak literally all over my face I'm not too worried lol I hope it won't be worse then that!

And how's your face doing today? Are you getting over your last breakout?

MemberMember
(@austinhuang)

Posted : 12/09/2012 12:35 am

I started on the same day as you! Hope our skins will be completely cleared by then!

MemberMember
(@bmariewantsnoacne)

Posted : 12/09/2012 1:49 pm

Good luck! I am on day 19, so not too far ahead. :)

MemberMember
(@crimeinpartner)

Posted : 12/09/2012 6:34 pm

Good Luck on the course!!

MemberMember
(@austinhuang)

Posted : 12/10/2012 5:33 am

Good luck! I am on day 19, so not too far ahead. smile.png

hows it so far?

MemberMember
(@bmariewantsnoacne)

Posted : 12/10/2012 12:22 pm

Not too bad. :) I am on 40 mg a day, and up until about 2 days ago if I wasn't guzzling water all day long I would get a headache, but I haven't had one the last two days. I'm not really dealing with dryness yet, which I was really worried about at first because I am always dry in the winter. The weather has been mild up until today, so we'll see. My hair is starting to dry out though :) oh, my blackheads are becoming more noticeable too, which I'm taking as a good sign!

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 12/10/2012 5:57 pm

Day 5 - not too many changes so far. Lips are slowly drying out but I've been pretty good with the aquaphor. Had a nose bleed last night first time in years but I'm not sure if accutane is the cause

Always thirsty lol. I work in a restaurant and I'm constantly suckin back water.

Besides that not much new to report. I havent gotten any headache or anything so far. No ib yet either. Hoping it holds off till after next Saturday, it's my boyfriends formal work party!

And thanks everyone for the support :) I'll keep you updated :)

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 12/13/2012 10:05 pm

Day 8:) - lips are getting drier, and getting more thirsty lol. My nose is peeling now. And my cheeks feel "rough"

Besides that no side effects!:) I think I may be starting my ib but I'm not quite sure yet

MemberMember
(@austinhuang)

Posted : 12/14/2012 1:34 am

Thirsty!! and Itchy too! =( rawrrrr!

MemberMember
(@user101)

Posted : 12/16/2012 5:18 pm

I am getting thirsty too...i am on my day 2 on claravis 30mg twice a day, keep this post updated....

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 12/18/2012 5:40 pm

Day 13...

So my lips are really starting to dry out! Their not too bad, but I don't usually get chapped lips for more then a couple days in the winter so it's different lol

Ib still going on. Lots of hard white heads coming out. Some clogged pours. Skin is a bit less oily but nothing too drastic.

Skin is getting that red accutane burn Slowly.

Not much else new, no pains or any of the sorts:)

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 12/22/2012 1:07 am

Day 16

My ib is still there. Seem to be getting a new pimple every day. It started a week ago so hopefully not tooooo much longer :(

Blackheads are beginning to be more noticeable , had 2 fall out. My skin kinda looks yuck.

I'm also experiencing a bit of the tane burn. On my cheeks mostly a bit pink. My skin is also super sensitive on my face

Mild back pain but nothing major.

Lips are still chopping :( but I use aquaphor and theyre ok.

My eyes are getting a bit dry. Hopefully my skin will dry out next!

MemberMember
(@user101)

Posted : 12/22/2012 2:43 pm

your logs are helpful...keep it going...

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 12/26/2012 2:09 pm

Day 18 or 19. Face is starting to dry up :) chin nose and forehead are nice now. Cheeks are still a bit oily but not so bad. Still a bit of an ib a few blocked pores nothing major.

Back still hurts a bit and im still getting nose bleeds.

Lips are ok maybe im just used to it now lol.

Blackheads are more noticeable in sure they'll come out soon

That's all that's chAnged nothing else lately

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 12/31/2012 9:51 pm

Day 25. - the redness in my face has gone down a bit. Looks maybe a bit smoother? Ib is now consisting of a white head every day pretty much. And I just dont hVe the guts to pop them. But they do go away after a day or so. My skin isn't oily at all Anymore.. Soo nice! And my hair as well. I'm getting flaking on my chin and forehead, as they where the first spots to dry out. Im actually sick with a sore throat, which kinda sucks when your soo thirsty from accutane lol. Back pain isn't as bad anymore. Hopefully this ib will be gone soon :( not much else to report on side effects. Going for my blood test Wednesday soo hopefully all is well :)

MemberMember
(@user74659)

Posted : 12/31/2012 10:03 pm

Keep pushing through and its good you're not popping! I have trouble not picking at mine and whenever I do they get worse and/or spread... I'm only a little ahead (day 32) and waiting to get my blood work back so I can start month 2.. Probably going to have to go a week without meds since the holidays are screwing everything up, but doc says its fine. Hope we will both start to see some results soon! I'm still getting zits too, but they are smaller and less sore than the worst of the IB around week 2 and 3. I'm loving the dry hair too (used to wash daily or twice daily in the summer now once every 3 days or so) and dry skin is better than oily any day in my book, especially if it means these meds are going to work!

MemberMember
(@user101)

Posted : 01/05/2013 10:29 pm

hey, any updates??

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 01/06/2013 2:10 pm

Hey :) today is day.. 28 or 29 I haven't looked at my pills yet. My ib I think is done, no new spots since my last post! Skin is pretty dry. My back pain actually Isnt So bad anymore. Dry eyes have gone away too. The only side effects I am currently experiencing are dry lips an dry skin

MemberMember
(@jdw)

Posted : 01/07/2013 12:14 pm

Hey, you mentioned that you had redness as a side effect earlier, does that mean that's gone away as well?

MemberMember
(@aballarina)

Posted : 01/07/2013 12:36 pm

It's a little "pink" I gues you could say. Nothing to really be upset about. When I first started I had these red cheeks that looked like a sunburn. It went away now I think my face calmed down a bit. I will be posting some pics from the last month on wednesday so hopefully that'll clarify what I mean :)