Notifications
Clear all

A Solution?

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 12/05/2012 9:16 pm

I've had flaky skin from BP for 8 months and I can't take it anymore, so I am changing up the regimen to meet my needs, and I want everyone's advice and input. I'm willing to do ANYTHING to stop my skin from flaking. (btw I suffer from acne, so using too little bp I will break out)

WHAT I DO NOW:

WHAT I USE: CeraVe foaming facial cleanser, acne.org bp, cerave moisturizing lotion, acne.org jojoba oil

WHAT I'M GOING TO CHANGE:

I am slowly going to decrease the amount of BP I use in the morning, and use a little more at night. I also want a more moisturizing cleanser that will cleanse my face but not strip it of all its moisture.

IF YOU GUYS HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE TELL ME! I'M DESPERATE! KEEP IN MIND THAT I AM AN ACNE SUFFERER! I break out with blemishes and whiteheads if my acne isn't treated properly, but all this bp is just way too drying. Please help me!!!

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 12/05/2012 9:32 pm

What have you tried for other anti-acne products? Have you also tried other BP products?

MemberMember
(@akl)

Posted : 12/05/2012 10:20 pm

I have seen this happen to some people with sensitive skin that I'm coaching. We have not reduced the amount of BP, but applied a little bit of moisturizer (hyaluronic acid, but it probably works with other moisturizers too) before the BP. The flakiness was reduced significantly, while their acne was still under control. As Michelle Reece suggested, it could be one of the products you're using as well.

MemberMember
(@johnny199r)

Posted : 12/05/2012 10:28 pm

So, I'm not the only one who wakes up with a white flaky face in the morning, brings moistuizer with me to meals to use in the bathroom, and moistuizes 3 times a day, with the most powerful moistuizer out of the 5 brands I've tried?

How do people not have flaky skin problemson this regimen? Does everyone on this board live somewhere warm like California?

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 12/05/2012 10:45 pm

I have seen this happen to some people with sensitive skin that I'm coaching. We have not reduced the amount of BP, but applied a little bit of moisturizer (hyaluronic acid, but it probably works with other moisturizers too) before the BP. The flakiness was reduced significantly, while their acne was still under control. As Michelle Reece suggested, it could be one of the products you're using as well.

Absolutely. BP sometimes isn't really nice to the skin!

What you probably need to do WonderfulStrawberry is add a stronger moisturizer. The CeraVe PM one is an excellent one. If you're still flaky from it, you may need some Aquaphor to prevent more water loss from your skin.

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 12/05/2012 11:03 pm

So, I'm not the only one who wakes up with a white flaky face in the morning, brings moistuizer with me to meals to use in the bathroom, and moistuizes 3 times a day, with the most powerful moistuizer out of the 5 brands I've tried?

How do people not have flaky skin problemson this regimen? Does everyone on this board live somewhere warm like California?

you are definitely not the only one. i envy people who aren't flake faces on this regimen.... Any time water comes in contact with my face it gets flaky, anytime I wake up, before i go to sleep, oh the list could go on forever.

What you probably need to do WonderfulStrawberry is add a stronger moisturizer. The CeraVe PM one is an excellent one. If you're still flaky from it, you may need some Aquaphor to prevent more water loss from your skin.

thanks, I'm going to add those products to the list.

I'm starting to suspect that the cleanser has a lot to do with it. I may try that :D thanks for the help

MemberMember
(@akl)

Posted : 12/05/2012 11:16 pm

Most people will experience dryness/flaking/irritation in the beginning, but it will subside over time. Not everybody is that lucky, though, and I've also seen that it can be especially problematic during the winter. I've suggested glycerin in a spray bottle (mix with water) to some people (they also use jojoba oil), it works for them, so maybe it's worth a shot. Use throughout the day.

Yeah, I agree. Probably a better moisturizer and/or a different cleanser. If that doesn't work, less BP looks like the only option left.

WonderfulStrawberry, here's some info about moisturizing agents (a little outdated when it comes to the listed products, but it gives you an idea about the different types and such: http://www.skinthera...005/10.5/1.html ).

MemberMember
(@johnny199r)

Posted : 12/05/2012 11:26 pm

Most people will experience dryness/flaking/irritation in the beginning, but it will subside over time. Not everybody is that lucky, though, and I've also seen that it can be especially problematic during the winter. I've suggested glycerin in a spray bottle (mix with water) to some people (they also use jojoba oil), it works for them, so maybe it's worth a shot. Use throughout the day.

Yeah, I agree. Probably a better moisturizer and/or a different cleanser. If that doesn't work, less BP looks like the only option left.

WonderfulStrawberry, here's some info about moisturizing agents (a little outdated when it comes to the listed products, but it gives you an idea about the different types and such: http://www.skinthera...005/10.5/1.html ).

You mean to tell me some people don't flake much? They must be the same people who get no pimples while on the regimen. I can only imagine those groups of people exist. I can't imagine what it would be like to go swimming in a lake in the summer with friends or go to a pool to swim laps with a frosty the snow man face.

MemberMember
(@akl)

Posted : 12/05/2012 11:43 pm

You mean to tell me some people don't flake much? They must be the same people who get no pimples while on the regimen. I can only imagine those groups of people exist. I can't imagine what it would be like to go swimming in a lake in the summer with friends or go to a pool to swim laps with a frosty the snow man face.

I'm really sorry to hear that, Johnny199r, but yes, all the people I'm coaching do not suffer from flaking (nothing serious, at least), and their acne is under control . Except 1 person, we've tried to get off BP about a month ago and used thyme instead. Big mistake, despite the hopeful study that was done on thyme. He's back on BP and his acne got about 80% better in 2 weeks. I truly hope you'll find something that works for you, I can imagine how much it must suck.

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 12/05/2012 11:46 pm

Thanks for all the replies everyone, you have all been very helpful, I've gotten some great ideas... Currently in the process of creating my anti-flaking, anti-acne skincare regimen. I won't stop until it is perfected. >:)

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 12/06/2012 1:42 am

Aha! I'm really happy that at least one person around here knows that resource! smile.png I think I've linked to that article before, but at the very least to the website. That article is an excellent read, and so is everything on that site!

Yep, not everyone flakes from BP. Some people are inherently more prone to transepidermal water loss than others, not just from atopic dermatitis. It's not known if acne itself is a true barrier dysfunction disorder, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

MemberMember
(@akl)

Posted : 12/07/2012 8:21 pm

Aha! I'm really happy that at least one person around here knows that resource! smile.png I think I've linked to that article before, but at the very least to the website. That article is an excellent read, and so is everything on that site!

:) I've posted this a couple of months ago in a different topic about moisturizers, too! It's a great resource indeed!

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 12/07/2012 8:35 pm

smile.png I've posted this a couple of months ago in a different topic about moisturizers, too! It's a great resource indeed!

I suppose we should compile a detailed list about moisturizers, ingredients and cleansers, and the other wonderful articles on skintherapyletter.com, too! We can't keep this information a secret forever! ;)

MemberMember
(@akl)

Posted : 12/07/2012 8:37 pm

I suppose we should compile a detailed list about moisturizers, ingredients and cleansers, and the other wonderful articles on skintherapyletter.com, too! We can't keep this information a secret forever! wink.png

I'm pretty good at keeping secrets :P

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 12/08/2012 12:29 pm

I'll update you guys on Operation Strawberry frequently and let you know if it's working! (by the way operation strawberry is just like my variation of the acne.org regimen)

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 12/11/2012 9:24 pm

Phase 1 of operation Munchkin is almost complete... Using BP once a day at night. It's really a hassle to apply bp in the morning, it shaves off so much time to be able to do it once a day. You have no idea how convenient it is. I'm not sure if this will stop my flaking but I KNOW that it will be a huge relief to not have to apply bp every morning. Got down to 1/3 of a pump this morning, and at night I'm up to 1 1/2 at night... Next phase is to switch out these products that are drying up my face like this foaming cleanser I'm trying to use up

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 12/11/2012 10:00 pm

An aha lotion or cream will help out a lot! It sloughs off dead skin and that also makes your bp penetrate better. Foaming face washes also strip a lot of oil off your face even if you're only using it for 10 seconds.

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 12/15/2012 12:58 pm

UPDATE!

New skincare routine to eliminate flakes! Instead of using BP twice a day, I'm only using it at night, 2 pumps. Instead of using cerave foaming cleanser i am using the hydrating cleanser, which I actually like much better. I'm using the st. ives apricot scrub to exfoliate a few times a week too, I know you're not supposed to use a scrub while on the regimen but I REALLY LIKE this one! All though it's abrasive it makes my skin feel so good afterwards. After that I used my cerave moisturizing lotion which is good for the day time, mixed in with the acne.org jojoba oil. The scrub really takes off the dead skin which makes it easier for the moisturizer's good ingredients to penetrate. At night, hydrating cleanser, BP, then cetaphil moisturizing cream, which is really greasy, thick and icky feeling but locks in moisture all night. Its much different than what I'm used to. So far, my skin feels very refreshed and better than it has in awhile... No flakes right now, I really hope this new skincare routine will work!