Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Prescription In The Us

MemberMember
(@comeon)

Posted : 12/05/2012 5:03 pm

Hey everyone,

I have kind of a formal question. I am not originally from the United States, but I am beginning to study there in about a month. I've started the accutane course at home with a dermatologist three weeks ago, but my prescription probably won't work in the US. Is it difficult to get such a prescrption in the United States? Or should I bring the medications with me (I am coming for a semester: from January till May, so it won't be a lot)?

Thanks for your answers in advance.

MemberMember
(@asburypark101)

Posted : 12/05/2012 5:33 pm

Try to bring the medication with you if possible. I know that some doctors can make it difficult to get accutane in the states and other doctors are more lenient, but I think the best option for you is to bring the medication with you. What you can do is get the monthly blood tests in the states and get the results to be sent to your regular doctor.

MemberMember
(@user74659)

Posted : 12/05/2012 9:55 pm

It will be harder to get if you are a female than a male. Males can get a prescription the same day they go to the derm as long as their blood test levels check out. Females have to have a pregancy test in addition to the blood test and then wait a month and have another negative pregnancy test before they can get a prescription filled. Not sure if it would be different if you are currently on it and have been, but I'm sure if you bring in the meds and let the derm know you are currently on it (possibly give them your derm's contact info from overseas) you won't have trouble getting approved to be on it here. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@comeon)

Posted : 12/06/2012 2:33 am

Thank you for the answers! I would certainly prefer to bring the medication with me, but I am not sure if the customs allow it.

MemberMember
(@asburypark101)

Posted : 12/17/2012 7:42 am

Thank you for the answers! I would certainly prefer to bring the medication with me, but I am not sure if the customs allow it.

If it is prescribed by a doctor to you, then you will be fine with customs