Notifications
Clear all

Doxycycline. I Want Your Review If You Have Taken This Medication

MemberMember
(@nadiaxedge)

Posted : 12/03/2012 9:41 pm

ive been on doxycycline for about 1month now and i havent noticed a difference what else am i going to expierence with this medication or am i just wasting my money and time on it...

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 12/03/2012 9:54 pm

As with most antibiotics taken for acne, you have to give it time to work/show results to know if it's working for you.

When I took doxy (about 3 years ago) I took it for about 3 or 4 months and slowly started seeing the results as it got toward 3 months. I didn't have any side effects with this but maybe I was just lucky? Of course, if you start experiencing any side effects that you think may be due to doxy then I'd stop taking it.

Another important thing to be aware of is that if it does work for you and you stop taking it, you're acne probably will return. That's just how antibiotics seem to work and this is what happened for me. After I took doxy for 3 or 4 months, became pretty clear, stopped taking doxy and remained pretty clear for about a month or so before my acne came back but not as bad as before the doxy. So I guess you could say it was a good temporary fix for me.

So if you're not having any problems with doxy, you may want to continue with it for another 2 months at least to see how it works for you. Be aware acne may return once you stop taking it - I think this is the case for most people who use antibiotics for acne and then stop but maybe you could look into this and see if anyone has stayed clear after quitting antibiotics - if so then maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones :)

(Also I'd advise against long term antibiotic use - I just don't think it's safe).

Hope it goes well :)

MemberMember
(@hsmit3)

Posted : 12/10/2012 9:30 pm

I took it for a few months last year and never really saw a difference in my skin. A couple months in I had to stop taking it because it was making me ill. I couldn't keep it down, even with a meal. If you're not expecting any side effects, I'd say keep taking it! As for me, I just started bactin/septra a month ago and it is doing wonders! You may try that if you don't see any results with the doxy.

MemberMember
(@thekidjohn)

Posted : 12/10/2012 10:04 pm

Ive taken it for 20 days 1 year ago and doxy improved my skin just a tiny bit but I was happy that at lease a bit of acne dissappeared. I actually just got another Doxy prescription 2 days ago.

MemberMember
(@kairasa)

Posted : 12/10/2012 10:15 pm

Moving this to the antibiotics thread.

Also, I took it for upwards of 18 months and didn't have any adverse affects, but I did taper the dosage as I went off of it and that greatly reduced the transition for my acne. It did come back but milder, and I still use topicals to this day.

MemberMember
(@johnny199r)

Posted : 12/10/2012 10:22 pm

It didnt do much for me

MemberMember
(@eagles4ever)

Posted : 12/10/2012 11:16 pm

i been using doxy for 9 months now,, i was taking it twice a day, everyday, up until last week cause my refills are done,, but i was also using benzoyl peroxide and retin a, not just the doxy,, but overall, doxy takes time, it might take like 4-5 months, but that was just me

MemberMember
(@user74659)

Posted : 12/11/2012 8:48 am

It never really did anything for me. Minocycline was much better.

MemberMember
(@gtx470)

Posted : 12/12/2012 2:14 am

Hi! I'm new here.

I did have a bad breakout in the month of Jan 2012. Visited a face treatment parlour in Feb. Was recommended Doxy-1.

It is basically an antobiotic that is supposed to heal the wounds and keep bacteria under check.

Question here is can Doxy do this internally and sjould one continue to use ir ...? how long?

I took it for 3 weeks and it did stop new breakouts but I also used topical solution so cannot say if Doxy did its job.

Now in the month of December I havbe started getting breakouts on the facial cheeks. I have bought a dose of Doxy but am relectant to take it everyday and take it about 3 times in a week.

Have read about using hand sanitizer as a spot treatment zapper and starteed from today. I am a male and my skin is very oily and tough i can handle dryness. I feel the continuous appearance of acne is due to bacteria and not internal atleast in my case.

I have been advised not to eat milk products like cheese etc and have stopped that but continue to have yoghurt almost 4 times in a week.

MemberMember
(@aadaastra)

Posted : 12/16/2012 8:13 am

I am on it now. just one week but i can see a diffrence.. my face calmed down.. a lot.. i have just a couple of new painful zits after i started taking it. but they go away like really fast. i just wish the result lasts! Good luck to you! i heard it can take a while to kick in. but i would definitely stop if it does not start helping after 2 months..

MemberMember
(@kaushikgr8)

Posted : 12/21/2012 2:17 am

minocycline has higher concentrations ! doxy is cheaper and less effective !

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/28/2012 6:37 am

Worked for a little but then stopped. Right now I'm on Solodyn (Minocycline with an HCl attached) and high dosage for my weigh but it's not that good.

MemberMember
(@lukeccfc)

Posted : 12/29/2012 9:24 pm

Stay on it for a few months more, do not expect instant results!! Took me about 5 months to get 70-80% of my acne away!! I felt as i was wasting my time but i was patient and now feeling the results!

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 12/30/2012 2:25 am

Want my review? STAY THE EFF AWAY FROM DOXY!!! It will ruin your life

MemberMember
(@rlsid21)

Posted : 01/08/2013 4:52 pm

I've been on Doxycycline 100mg. twice daily for about almost 2 weeks now and it's making a difference in my skin. I am however prone to yeast infections so that's one side effect I control by taking probiotics (2 hours before or after taking my antibiotics) to prevent and treat. I felt a yeast infection coming on a couple days ago, went out and bought a 6 billion organism probiotic....with one dosage, my yeast infection went away. The first week of taking Doxy I was still getting some cysts but they were only 2 or 3 and they weren't as deep as they were. I still got them injected with cortisone by my dermatologist's physician's assistants to ger rid of them faster.

My PA wanted to give me something to get me through waiting for Spironolactone 150mg. twice daily to kick in as it takes a while for it to work. Cysts were still coming up with just Spiro and another PA wanted to maybe start me on Accutane, I immediately declined. So, I was started on Doxy and Tazorac as there comdones everywhere that I've been trying to get rid of forever it seems. I didn't start to get comdones until I entered my late 20's into the worst skin of my life now in my 30's. My forehead has always been broken out as soon as I entered puberty and never really cleared (sigh)......

Right now, the cysts are small and less when I do get them. I'm staying on Doxy and Spiro along with my probiotics as long as I can while clearing up as much as I possibly can. I do think that Doxy is making a difference in my horrific cysts that I would get every week it seems on the same areas on my face (cheeks and jawline). The scars are left over from my cystic battle.......thank god for great make up.