Dry Skin After 8 Mo...

Notifications
Clear all

Dry Skin After 8 Months

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 11/30/2012 9:54 pm

I've been on the DKR for 8 months. I now use the CeraVe foaming facial cleanser (which claims to be for normal to oily skin), acne.org bp, and the cerave moisturizing lotion + acne.org jojoba oil. I switch up my products sometimes just to see what works for my skin. So far, BP has kept my acne at bay, though winter is a tough season, I tend to break out more in the cold. Anyway, my skin has NEVER stopped peeling and flaking. It gets so bad in the water. If I wash my face or go swimming, right after my skin feels tight, it flakes and peels very badly. So badly that I practically look like a lizard. At the end of the day little white flakes are all over my face.

Here's the problem: if I use too 2 pumps of BP, my skin is WAY too flaky and scaly. If I use 1 1/2 pumps, it's still pretty bad. 1 pump is flaky but not as bad. 1/2 pump is not enough for my skin, and I break out. People notice, too. They always comment on how flaky my skin looks. I don't naturally have dry skin. For the past 8 months, acne has not plagued me as much, but dry skin has. I refused to give up, but at this point I'll do ANYTHING. ANYTHING. I'm open to any suggestions. If you guys are on the regimen, what helped stop your flaky skin?

ps. i've used bp before, 0.1% and my skin flaked for about a week, then it was over. That's normal. My skin now, however, I know is not normal.

MemberMember
(@mrsuitntie)

Posted : 11/30/2012 10:23 pm

You gotta moisturize twice a day, also try to use an exfoliant 2-3x a week to get rid of excess flakes. Use something gentle, like oatmeal. What works best for me is making a moisturzing mask out of Honey, olive oil and a mix of mashed avacado or banana, depending on what I have. I do that regardless of if I have flakes or not because it is really good for your skin, and at least for me it makes my skin very soft.

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 12/01/2012 10:40 am

You gotta moisturize twice a day, also try to use an exfoliant 2-3x a week to get rid of excess flakes. Use something gentle, like oatmeal. What works best for me is making a moisturzing mask out of Honey, olive oil and a mix of mashed avacado or banana, depending on what I have. I do that regardless of if I have flakes or not because it is really good for your skin, and at least for me it makes my skin very soft.

I do moisturize 2x per day with 5 drops of jojoba, and it works great... for maybe 7 hours and then the rest of the time my skin is tight. I do need to exfoliate, I would try the mask if I was sure it didn't break me out, thanks for the help!

MemberMember
(@xcharliex)

Posted : 12/02/2012 2:00 pm

AHA?

MemberMember
(@computermasterman)

Posted : 12/02/2012 5:45 pm

I have the same problem as you. I would recommend putting a layer of jojoba on after you wash your face. Then do everything normal. See if that helps.

MemberMember
(@relmneiko)

Posted : 12/06/2012 7:45 am

I have the same problem, only probably worse right now because I just started the regimen about two months ago and I'm not clear yet. Maybe about 30% clear. I have general faith that the Regimen will work but I'm getting impatient. Anyway. I mostly deal with dryness by just layering on moisturizer constantly, like every 30 minutes or so. I have a desk job so I can do this but it would probably be hard for most people. I tried the AHA but it makes me break out and impedes healing, even if I just use a little bit every few days. So basically I just moisturize like crazy.

At home I have a humidifier that I run in my bedroom for a few hours every day, which helps because the climate is super dry here. I do the jojoba oil exfoliation thing in one of the sticky threads here every morning and it keeps the flakes at bay but not the dryness.

I'm also taking some vitamins, so I hope that will help me dial back the BP to a really small amount once I get clear. Are you trying vitamins or whatnot? It might be best to try a two-pronged approach. I've really been rehauling my diet since I got a blood test that told me I have mild liver problems... and there's a direct chain between the liver and acne (liver sick->progesterone regulation whacky -> acne!)

More greens, more protein, less sugar, zinc supplements, stopped drinking alcohol completely (don't drink coffee or milk, either, though that was originally because it aggravates my colitis. Yeah, I'm just a mess of health issues.)

I can't tell whether the improvement in my acne (WAY less inflamed, still present everywhere, though definitely healing) is due to the change in my eating habits or the Regimen, but it's worth giving it a shot.

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 12/06/2012 9:03 am

Neither Dan nor I feel that CeraVe lotion is up to the task of the dryness that bp may cause. Also, the foaming cleanser may be causing some dryness as well. Try Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion and perhaps even Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser. See if that helps.

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 12/06/2012 1:14 pm

Neither Dan nor I feel that CeraVe lotion is up to the task of the dryness that bp may cause. Also, the foaming cleanser may be causing some dryness as well. Try Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion and perhaps even Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser. See if that helps.

thanks, I happen to LOVE cerave moisturizing lotion because it's light, refreshing, gentle, and absorbs quickly, it's not a strong moisturizer, which is why I add jojoba oil. As for cleansers I definitely don't like cerave's foaming facial cleanser, I much prefer acne.org's cleanser because it washes off easier, and lathers much easier. I've heard better reviews about cerave than I have cetaphil, but I will definitely check them out and possibly give them a try :) thanks for the help I appreciate it

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 12/07/2012 12:16 pm

I have the same problem, only probably worse right now because I just started the regimen about two months ago and I'm not clear yet. Maybe about 30% clear. I have general faith that the Regimen will work but I'm getting impatient. Anyway. I mostly deal with dryness by just layering on moisturizer constantly, like every 30 minutes or so. I have a desk job so I can do this but it would probably be hard for most people. I tried the AHA but it makes me break out and impedes healing, even if I just use a little bit every few days. So basically I just moisturize like crazy.

At home I have a humidifier that I run in my bedroom for a few hours every day, which helps because the climate is super dry here. I do the jojoba oil exfoliation thing in one of the sticky threads here every morning and it keeps the flakes at bay but not the dryness.

I'm also taking some vitamins, so I hope that will help me dial back the BP to a really small amount once I get clear. Are you trying vitamins or whatnot? It might be best to try a two-pronged approach. I've really been rehauling my diet since I got a blood test that told me I have mild liver problems... and there's a direct chain between the liver and acne (liver sick->progesterone regulation whacky -> acne!)

More greens, more protein, less sugar, zinc supplements, stopped drinking alcohol completely (don't drink coffee or milk, either, though that was originally because it aggravates my colitis. Yeah, I'm just a mess of health issues.)

I can't tell whether the improvement in my acne (WAY less inflamed, still present everywhere, though definitely healing) is due to the change in my eating habits or the Regimen, but it's worth giving it a shot.

I'm sorry to hear that you have to put up with all this.... I don't think vitamins are really necessary for me, I have a pretty mild case of acne, pretty much annoying whiteheads, blemishes... That type of thing. The regimen has been the best thing I've tried so far, and it's gotten me 98% clear, I'm just trying to tweak it to meet my needs. Best of luck!

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 12/08/2012 3:06 pm

thanks, I happen to LOVE cerave moisturizing lotion because it's light, refreshing, gentle, and absorbs quickly, it's not a strong moisturizer,

The same reasons you love it are the same reasons which make this moisturizer not a good choice for The Regimen. It just is not hydrating enough to handle the amount of bp that is used for The Regimen. Dan and I both tried it and found it to be a pretty poor moisturizer, to be honest. If you are using extra drops of jojoba oil and still are dry and flaky you need to try something better, imo.

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 12/08/2012 6:13 pm

thanks, I happen to LOVE cerave moisturizing lotion because it's light, refreshing, gentle, and absorbs quickly, it's not a strong moisturizer,

The same reasons you love it are the same reasons which make this moisturizer not a good choice for The Regimen. It just is not hydrating enough to handle the amount of bp that is used for The Regimen. Dan and I both tried it and found it to be a pretty poor moisturizer, to be honest. If you are using extra drops of jojoba oil and still are dry and flaky you need to try something better, imo.

I want to try Cetaphil moisturizing cream and use it at night and possibly cerave in the morning?... But I just love my cerave :"( It's so easy and quick! I think I need a thicker, more moisturizing moisturizer for night time though. I guess we all have our preferences