Notifications
Clear all

Large Hypertrophic Knee Scar

MemberMember
(@sngoh55)

Posted : 11/30/2012 4:09 pm

I had a freak accident one and a half years ago during Spring 2011. I treated the wounds with mainly neosporin and hydrogen peroxide (bad idea). Here is what my scars looked like after one half year of the accident. 1wtB5.jpg & 1EbUc.jpg

Since then I had steroid injections on them and I've used scar gel sheets from the local pharmacy store. I've tried to refrain from drinking alcohol a lot and stopped smoking. Right now after 1 1/2 years approximately my scars look like this:

gaMD0.jpg

pB5Hz.jpg

These latter pics make the scars look better than what it actually is. For my left knee, the scars are still elevated to the point that when i kneel down on a hard surface with that knee, the pressure causes pain. In addition under cold temperature, the scars get bigger. The best appearances are when right after I remove my silicone gel sheets and after a hot shower. I'm wondering if there's anyway to reduce my pain completely from the elevated scars further. I'm not as much bothered by the redness as much as the effect on my mobility ( kneeling down, physical discomfort) What should I do now? Continue using scar gel sheets? (they seem to not have much effect anymore in lowering the elevation) I'm thinking about using cocoa butter formula( palmer's) instead of scar gel sheets since its cheaper, the scar gel sheets easily loses its tackiness when I wear long pants (the fabric fibers stick onto them easily)

THANKS!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/06/2012 4:38 pm

I'd continue with the scar gel/sheets, they don't seem to have completely healed, or have they?

MemberMember
(@maldition)

Posted : 12/17/2012 1:49 pm

Sorry

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/11/2019 4:36 pm

What inspired you to stop drinking and smoking? Is this because of the effect on blood flow?

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 01/13/2019 9:14 am

@NubbsThis is from 2012, no one will answer it. So I am trying to help. Smoking and drinking effect immunity, healing, the gut, and tissue regeneration. Hypertrophic scarring is excess production of tissues. If you smoke and drink, your body will not heal properly, ... this is why so many procedures for scars fail when someone does these behaviors. Yes you are right as well with blood flow changes uses these.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/13/2019 3:12 pm

@beautifulambitionThanks for the response. Figured I was shooting in the dark with that quote. 😉

MemberMember
(@connor13)

Posted : 09/02/2019 3:10 pm

Im having the same problem ..

i have a hypertrophic scar in under my right knee , and I also been treated with silicone gel and steroids injections.

It has been almost 5 months after the accident and Im still having difficulties bending my knee and kneeling down.

Im just wondering if there are any improvements over the years, or it is still bothering you from time to time?

I know this post is from 2012 , But Ill give it a shot

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 09/02/2019 6:21 pm

@Connor13Find someone who does Graston Technique for Physical therapy.