Notifications
Clear all

Whats Happens If You Use Too Much Benzoyl Peroxide?

MemberMember
(@istecrew)

Posted : 11/30/2012 9:04 am

as I said in the title what happens if you use too much like 10% BP in the morning and afternoon each day.. would it cause more acne due to irritation?

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 11/30/2012 10:27 am

Yes, it definitely can. BP is a harsh chemical. There is a reason why there are recommended doses. 10% is not really needed, if you read the explanation on this site by Dan, you will see that 2.5% benzoyl peroxide can be just as effective and it is much more gentle. When you strip the natural protective layer off of your already sensitive skin by applying 10% BP multiple times a day, yes, you will disturb the PH level, moisture balance, ceramides, etc. Not good. What else are you doing for your skin? What is your cleanser and moisturizer like, if you are using them?

MemberMember
(@istecrew)

Posted : 11/30/2012 11:03 am

Yes, it definitely can. BP is a harsh chemical. There is a reason why there are recommended doses. 10% is not really needed, if you read the explanation on this site by Dan, you will see that 2.5% benzoyl peroxide can be just as effective and it is much more gentle. When you strip the natural protective layer off of your already sensitive skin by applying 10% BP multiple times a day, yes, you will disturb the PH level, moisture balance, ceramides, etc. Not good. What else are you doing for your skin? What is your cleanser and moisturizer like, if you are using them?

I am using Neutrogna visibly clear pink grapefruit facial wash, and for a moisturizer Nivea for men Rehydrating.

Its been 4 days now I've have stopped using BP 10% in the mornings, I just use it once a day in the evening just dap abit on the affected areas, hopefully this way can recover.

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 11/30/2012 11:53 am

Eek. Often times we think we are doing great things for our skin but we are really just overworking it. The skin is our body's largest organ, but on the outside. Check out the ingredients on the face-wash and the moisturizer. Would you put that stuff all over your liver? Probably not. That's why I firmly believe that the more simple route is the way to go. Like I said, BP is not gentle, but sometimes, it is necessary for us to clear our skin. So I would definitely keep that in your regimen, but please please please work on simplifying your cleanser and moisturizer and their ingredients. I will give you some recommendations and say why below.

I would do this: use a very gentle cleanser, that is PH balanced and alcohol free! In fact, since you are a guy and don't wear makeup, I recommend just lightly splashing your face with lukewarm water, and following with a PH balanced TONER on a cotton ball (I recommend the product by "thayers" called original witch hazel with aloe vera toner. Make sure you get the one with aloe. It will calm your skin and it is what balances the PH. I'll put a link below). After applying the toner on a cotton ball, wait five minutes, and then gently apply the 2.5% benzoyl peroxide (the best one is sold on this site, Dan's BP). As for a moisturizer, use something light and natural, that is both PH balanced and alcohol free, like grapeseed oil (that's what I use, and it does not clog my pores unlike jojoba oil which is what a lot of people on this website recommend using). How is your diet and your lifestyle, and how severe is your acne?

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=227049&catid=190119&aid=338666&aparam=goobase_filler

MemberMember
(@istecrew)

Posted : 11/30/2012 12:13 pm

Eek. Often times we think we are doing great things for our skin but we are really just overworking it. The skin is our body's largest organ, but on the outside. Check out the ingredients on the face-wash and the moisturizer. Would you put that stuff all over your liver? Probably not. That's why I firmly believe that the more simple route is the way to go. Like I said, BP is not gentle, but sometimes, it is necessary for us to clear our skin. So I would definitely keep that in your regimen, but please please please work on simplifying your cleanser and moisturizer and their ingredients. I will give you some recommendations and say why below.

I would do this: use a very gentle cleanser, that is PH balanced and alcohol free! In fact, since you are a guy and don't wear makeup, I recommend just lightly splashing your face with lukewarm water, and following with a PH balanced TONER on a cotton ball (I recommend the product by "thayers" called original witch hazel with aloe vera toner. Make sure you get the one with aloe. It will calm your skin and it is what balances the PH. I'll put a link below). After applying the toner on a cotton ball, wait five minutes, and then gently apply the 2.5% benzoyl peroxide (the best one is sold on this site, Dan's BP). As for a moisturizer, use something light and natural, that is both PH balanced and alcohol free, like grapeseed oil (that's what I use, and it does not clog my pores unlike jojoba oil which is what a lot of people on this website recommend using). How is your diet and your lifestyle, and how severe is your acne?

http://www.drugstore...=goobase_filler

Thankyou very much will take this tip in consideration :)) Thankyou again

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 11/30/2012 1:13 pm

You're welcome, of course. That is what this site is here for, to help eachother!