Notifications
Clear all

Bbc Three At 9Pm Tonight: Dying For Clear Skin

MemberMember
(@fullofgrace)

Posted : 11/26/2012 3:11 pm

Hey everyone,

If you live in the UK you should watch 'Dying for Clearer Skin' tonight at 9pm on BBC Three. It might be really useful and you might even find a potential treatment for your skin. Should be interesting. I'm gonna watch it!

MemberMember
(@woods_teresa2hotmail-com)

Posted : 11/26/2012 3:18 pm

Hey, yeah I'll be watching it too, think it will be very interesting, although its largly about a man whos trying to get Roaccutane banned in the UK, which im currently on :s Will probably totally scare myself watching it, but will anyway.

MemberMember
(@williamrickard)

Posted : 11/26/2012 5:28 pm

Hey, i am the kid in the show ! how did you guys find it?

MemberMember
(@woods_teresa2hotmail-com)

Posted : 11/26/2012 5:41 pm

Hi Will, how funny your on here too :) The show was really interesting, I think it was really well done actually, showing different sides to different treatments. You came across very well, and your skin looks amazing after that treatment!! How is your skin doing now?! It definatly seems like a much safer option to treat acne, but pricey!

MemberMember
(@13yearsofacne)

Posted : 11/26/2012 5:43 pm

Just watched it. Found it very moving and poignant. Good to see it raising awareness, should have been on BBC 1.

The Jesse guy - wow - could have been me. Should have been me.

Was quite balanced too. His parents accepted Acne was the original cause and Roaccutane only added to the distress.

Were you the dude who had the Enzyme treatment?

MemberMember
(@bodie81)

Posted : 11/26/2012 5:52 pm

Just watched the programme tonight - such a sad story about what happened to the Jesse fella! He had everything going for him and his acne did not seem that bad to begin with.

Will, you were very brave to take part - it is not something that I could have done when I was your age. Your skin looks great after the treatment by the way!

MemberMember
(@fullofgrace)

Posted : 11/26/2012 6:20 pm

The show was really moving. Especially regarding Jesse's story. You were brill on it and I admire your courage. Your face looked fab after the treatment. How is your face now?

MemberMember
(@lipstickartist)

Posted : 11/26/2012 7:57 pm

I just watched this on iPlayer.

The programme broke my heart and made me so so angry toward the end, mainly because of Roche and their attitude. I finished up a course of Roaccutane early as i was experiencing a lot of bad side effects. The drug has been out of my system for around two months now, and I still feel totally drained.

I've posted in topics before on here, so if anyone has seen them they'll already know how much I hate Roaccutane. I totally agree with Stefan and others who say the drug should be taken off the market. Note how Roche doesn't mention the fact its a chemotherapy drug - if people knew this they'd never take it in the first place!! Roaccutane cleared my skin. The question is, was it worth it? I regret taking the drug. The depression and various conditions I've opened myself upto is just not worth it in the slightest.

However, despite my strong views on the drug I do appreciate how the programme has taken both sides into account. A lot of people have had the 'wonder drug' experience and would recommend it to others. I think thats amazing its worked for those people. Its just unfortunate some of us, a lot more of us than the statistics record, experience awful and sometimes life changing side effects.

My heart goes out to Jesse's family and friends, as well as everyone else mentioned in the programme who has suffered because of Roaccutane.

Will, you were great on the program! Kudos to you, it takes a lot of courage to open up and be featured on tv like you have with acne. I'm so happy for you and glad your treatment was such a success! Good luck! :D

Well done to BBC3 and everyone involved, we need to raise awareness of the drug and make people think twice before taking it.

MemberMember
(@relentless-rasta)

Posted : 11/26/2012 8:26 pm

Just watched a programme on bbc three " dying for clear skin " a good watch which highlights the dangers of accutane and related depression/suicide and how it effects your mental state! bbc I player will have it if you missed it

MemberMember
(@acollegekid)

Posted : 11/27/2012 12:44 am

It really is pretty scary what accutane does to your mind. I know from experience. I think in my case the fact that my acne came back after accutane is the reason i became so depressed.

MemberMember
(@jarrit)

Posted : 11/27/2012 6:49 am

I'm from the US and currently watching it from a proxy.

This is a very interesting program, as I grew up with cystic acne (which did not naturally clear itself, until I changed my diet at my current age of 30).

MemberMember
(@searchingforclearskin)

Posted : 11/27/2012 7:35 am

I'm sure will who was on the programme has posted on her photos.....his skin looked fab!

MemberMember
(@jarrit)

Posted : 11/27/2012 7:59 am

I just finished the show. Will, I have to say your skin looks great, and admire your courage and positivity.

I'm speechless about Jesse's story. It's really saddening how much anguish acne causes.

Walking around trying to catch only good reflections of yourself can become a maddening experience. I hope this is cured once and for all - not the solution to all problems, but one less thing to worry about.

MemberMember
(@13yearsofacne)

Posted : 11/27/2012 8:30 am

Suprised so few comments on this...

Most comprehensive show about the plight of Acne sufferers I've ever seen on T.V. by a country mile...

MemberMember
(@searchingforclearskin)

Posted : 11/27/2012 9:07 am

Will, I remember you posted photos in the summer of your skin, that process is amazing!

So sad about Jesse, I know how awful I felt after taking just antibiotics and what things they did to my head and body.

Brilliant show and its nice to be out there and spoken about, we all suffer....

MemberMember
(@bishy)

Posted : 11/27/2012 9:18 am

You're all forgetting Jonathan, Jesse wasn't the only fatality of the show, both were so sad but Jonathan's got to me the most, showing nothing of depression and only had a few spots on his back, so so sad. Anyway, congratulations Will, amazing progress! I hope people now realise that acne is not just a temporary condition or what not, its a disease to a lifestyle, unless you have acne you have no idea what its like to wake up every morning, go to bed every night, living the whole day constantly thinking about it.

MemberMember
(@williamrickard)

Posted : 11/27/2012 11:12 am

Sorry guys been at school. Thank you so much for the feedback! Glad that you all enjoyed the show, took along time to make it!! A lot of hours making it happen, for just an hours show! Wish it had been a series, that would have been cool !

Hope everyone is okay, doing well. Happy to answer any questions, what do you guys think i should do? Start a blog and answer questions? What's the best way.

As for me i'm happy at the moment, loved the show. Had an hair cut since, i'm back to being me now.

Thanks a lot guys for the feedback, means the world and shows that people actually took interest in the show!!

Thank you all, William. smile.png

Hi Will, how funny your on here too smile.png The show was really interesting, I think it was really well done actually, showing different sides to different treatments. You came across very well, and your skin looks amazing after that treatment!! How is your skin doing now?! It definatly seems like a much safer option to treat acne, but pricey!

MemberMember
(@scov93)

Posted : 11/27/2012 12:05 pm

watching it just made me so glad i stopped accutane after a month. i was so supprised Jesse was even put on it his skin looked ok., maybe they didnt show or have pictures of it at its worst?

i also wished they could of spread the show out into a series and gone into more depth about acne itself but skill worth watching

MemberMember
(@freddyharte)

Posted : 11/27/2012 12:48 pm

interesting show.

maybe more people would have got depression and committed suicide if accutane hadn't helped them.

MemberMember
(@paulh85)

Posted : 11/27/2012 2:35 pm

I watched the first half, haven't seen the second half yet. Part of me wasn't sure if I wanted to see the second half; it seemed like it was shaping up as some kind of anti-Accutane thing. I'll check out the rest of it though. I will say though, it got me thinking that stuff like this is a bit more public now and acne doesn't seem like such a big deal in terms of the number of people suffering. I don't think I ever saw anyone dealing with acne when mine was at its worse. Now you got these producers putting shows together and kids willing to be filmed for it. Makes me feel a bit weak by comparison if truth be told because I would have never been able to do stuff like that and I just hid away alone the whole time.

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 11/27/2012 2:49 pm

When I was watching 'I'm a Celebrity' (it was just on. Don't judge me) I was shocked to hear people talking about Helen Flannigan's acne. Especially Eric's negative comments on it. I've not really heard acne talked about on the TV before.

MemberMember
(@ben100604)

Posted : 11/27/2012 3:42 pm

I thought it was a pretty good documentary. I felt it did come across a bit anti-Roaccutane at times, but there were positive comments for Roaccutane sprinkled through the program. I felt real sympathy for Jesse who was featured - I remember hiding the angst of acne from my parents and feeling so incredibly down, but lt seems he was hit exceptionally hard. It's just such a terrible condition that destroys your confidence and robs you of happiness.

MemberMember
(@cleardreaming)

Posted : 11/27/2012 4:01 pm

One of the members on here was on the show. I personally have no interest in watching it, surprisingly BBC science shows are always badly informed and contain a lot of spin.

MemberMember
(@someclearday)

Posted : 11/27/2012 4:25 pm

How do you watch it in the us?

MemberMember
(@paulh85)

Posted : 11/27/2012 4:36 pm

When I was watching 'I'm a Celebrity' (it was just on. Don't judge me) I was shocked to hear people talking about Helen Flannigan's acne. Especially Eric's negative comments on it. I've not really heard acne talked about on the TV before.

Although I don't watch the show as such and don't know what Eric said, there were time when I happened to see Helen in there and noticed how her skin had gotten worse as time went on. It's kind of refreshing to see people looking, well, normal on TV. Ordinarily, someone like that would be plastered in makeup and looking like they'd been airbrushed to within an inch of their life. Seeing someone from that environment looking natural and without makeup is a good thing as far as perceptions are concerned. Just frustrating that there are evidently always going to be people narrow-minded enough to judge and ridicule, but that's life I guess.