Notifications
Clear all

The Confusing Scar

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 11/24/2012 7:27 pm

This friggen scar on my forehead is so confusing! It's not deep on close inspection, it has edges where the original wound was and its level with the rest of my skin, but in certain lights, specifically my kitchen, the back lighting, the reflection I see in my window it looks bad! It looks shiny, and deep-ish. It's so frustrating. The scar is almost a half year old... and its about 7mm wide. I'm pretty sure its not tethered down.

Anyone else have this problem?

And also, aren't the shallower scars easier to treat? I just want to smooth the edges .-.

Like chemical peels? Or microdermabrasion?

MemberMember
(@nakedsmurf)

Posted : 11/24/2012 7:35 pm

Any scar looks worst on windows especially If the light is yellowish and your skin is shining.

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 11/24/2012 8:33 pm

ForeverAndPatience, I get that this is very troubling for you and I feel for you but... how many times are you going to ask the same questions? You open so many threads, all asking the same thing. People respond, you don't. I myself have given you so many links to studies about how to treat shallow scars and I'm not the only one who is giving you this advice.

I'm not trying to be rude but I am trying to stress that, at some point, you're going to have to do the hard work yourself and research your options. Why don't you go and try microdermabrasion? Just go do it! It's not expensive, and it's completely safe. I used to have one once a month. You need somewhere to start, so why not find a place close to you and go in?

The only way you're going to figure this out is if you actively seek treatment. Posting on these boards will not remove your scars.

x

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 11/24/2012 9:27 pm

I'm sorry. I'm just afraid of what I may find. Some things are so misleading. I guess my biggest question is, if I were to get microdermabrasion and it helped my scars, is it only temporary?

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 11/25/2012 3:27 am

If I could give you a hug, I would. I know it's daunting but hun you can't let it beat you! You really only have two choices here:

1. Give in to your fear and try to live your life as best you can.

2. Face this problem head on and improve your life!

I'll tell you what I see with you: you get very caught up in the small details that you can't see the big picture. You ask about scar depth and what it looks like in different light and whether treatments are temporary. This is the small stuff, trust me on that. Let's get a few things clear here:

1. Your skin, all over your body, is always changing. As we age we loose collagen and this leads to our scars getting worse (as well as wrinkles etc). The longer you wait to act on your scars the less chance you have of really making a difference.

2. If microdermabrasion helps your scars then isn't that FANTASTIC? Why stress over whether it's temporary or not? You don't know anything until you try. You can't possibly guess the outcome. All you can do is make an informed choice and do something. I wasn't sure if the Dermaroller would help me... but I went and had it done anyway. I needed to find out. Turns out it was the best decision of my life. Am I worrying about it being "temporary"? No. Because I know I am doing all I can to help my skin and that my journey is far from over. No sense in stressing about that now.

3. What are you afraid of finding? You already know that you don't like your scar(s) and that you want to get rid of them. What is there to be afraid of? The treatments? The outcomes? Relax a little and think about your options.

If you want my advice, go find someone who does the microdermabrasion and give it a go. Do it! :D xx

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 11/25/2012 12:18 pm

Thanks QuirkyFox. I'll try my best. And you are very much right about me getting caught up in things.

Would you mind giving me your input on this video/comment?

I asked a question, and she replied. My user name is MoonSyzygy...

I've been really interested in peels

Also, I've read around online, different reviews on like Salycilic peels (I probably spelt that wrong), but there are people that are saying that they have improved/ gotten tus of their scars. And then I come here and people are like, no that doesn't work, the scars are pitted/ lost collagen/ and peels basically do nothing. But! My largest scar isn't pitted from what I can tell, so really there isn't much or any collagen loss, I just see edges of the original wound, so in my mind a peel could remove/improve the scar thing. I guess I don't really know until I try. But I'd like anyone's input on this. Thanks (:

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 11/25/2012 12:29 pm

Thanks QuirkyFox. I'll try my best. And you are very much right about me getting caught up in things.

A phenol peel is very deep and risky. It is also expensive and can cost more than co2 laser treatment. You are so young. Start slowly with less aggressive treatments. You can make your scars worse and can create new damage. Considering your age and shallow scars, I would question any doctor who would be willing to do a phenol peel on your skin.

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 11/25/2012 12:38 pm

A phenol peel is very deep and risky. It is also expensive and can cost more than co2 laser treatment. You are so young. Start slowly with less aggressive treatments. You can make your scars worse and can create new damage. Considering your age and shallow scars, I would question any doctor who would be willing to do a phenol peel on your skin.

Oops. Of course, I forgot to mention. I'm young, but not that foolish. Aha. I meant to mention light peels, like starting with them. I have quite a few black heads, and I figure it could help with those too. I would never jump into anything that harsh o.o

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 11/25/2012 12:55 pm

Oops. Of course, I forgot to mention. I'm young, but not that foolish. Aha. I meant to mention light peels, like starting with them. I have quite a few black heads, and I figure it could help with those too. I would never jump into anything that harsh o.o

That's good to know! I got scared when I looked at the Youtube link.

Peels can help clear your skin. I've tried both light and medium depth TCA peels, TCA Cross, and AHA peels. Unfortunately, I didn't see any scar improvement from them and would argue peels ultimately made my skin worse. When I was younger, I didn't know I wasn't supposed to use peels when I had active acne, and I'm pretty sure it caused some of my scars. I also ended up with wider, deeper scars from TCA Cross. Just be careful! I have made so many mistakes, and would hate to see you or anyone else follow the same path.

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 11/25/2012 1:04 pm

Thanks, its very much appreciated. And I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. I'm probably going to try and get my primary care doctor to refer me to a dermatologist so I can get an idea of what I can do to better my skin. If there's one thing I'm thankful for about this scar, is that now I refuse to go out in the sun unprotected for the long periods of time that I used to.

Anywho, I think I see her, my doctor, again in January. She was supposed to refer me to a derm for this mole I have that may be cancerous, but I think she put it off because they can only do so much at once. It's frustrating Dx

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 11/25/2012 2:38 pm

That's good to know! I got scared when I looked at the Youtube link.

Peels can help clear your skin. I've tried both light and medium depth TCA peels, TCA Cross, and AHA peels. Unfortunately, I didn't see any scar improvement from them and would argue peels ultimately made my skin worse. When I was younger, I didn't know I wasn't supposed to use peels when I had active acne, and I'm pretty sure it caused some of my scars. I also ended up with wider, deeper scars from TCA Cross. Just be careful! I have made so many mistakes, and would hate to see you or anyone else follow the same path.

I have some pictures, I can't upload but I could probably email them .-.

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 11/26/2012 8:22 am

I agree with *Inspired*, peels are very harsh. If your scarring is minimal and fairly new then take a safer option and start with minimally invasive procedures then work your way up if you need to. If I were you I would just start on a very good skin care range until I saw my dermatologist. xx

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 11/26/2012 11:10 am

I agree with *Inspired*, peels are very harsh. If your scarring is minimal and fairly new then take a safer option and start with minimally invasive procedures then work your way up if you need to. If I were you I would just start on a very good skin care range until I saw my dermatologist. xx

Yeah, I've been washing my face in glycerine soap. I started crying because it works so well. Wish I'd tried it earlier, I probably wouldn't be here with this anxiety. On a side note... I think I'm going to get on anxiety meds. This has been going on for too long, and my health is suffering.

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 11/26/2012 5:59 pm

Can't you post a picture of the scar here? I'm getting quite curious about it now. You seem very upset about it but based on the descriptions, it sounds like very mild, unnoticeable scarring that could practically fade away in a couple of years.

If it consoles you, I've found that mild scarring on forehead seems to heal fairly well, much better than elsewhere (or at least on cheeks, where most of my scarring is). It's probably going to look much better after a year or so. Keep it moisturized and don't treat it yet when it's still healing, I would say.

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 11/26/2012 6:16 pm

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/gallery/image/47885-uglyuglyuglyscars/

It's hard to get a good picture, you can sorta see the outlines, I'll try and get a better picture. There's some scarring just beneath it, that looks like a line because their close together... they never really bothered me, I just noticed them after focussing so long on that side of my forehead. Hopefully it fades more, like the edges... I still see them .-.

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 11/26/2012 6:44 pm

Can't you post a picture of the scar here? I'm getting quite curious about it now. You seem very upset about it but based on the descriptions, it sounds like very mild, unnoticeable scarring that could practically fade away in a couple of years.

If it consoles you, I've found that mild scarring on forehead seems to heal fairly well, much better than elsewhere (or at least on cheeks, where most of my scarring is). It's probably going to look much better after a year or so. Keep it moisturized and don't treat it yet when it's still healing, I would say.

I posted a link and its in my gallery. I don't know if you can see it too well .-.

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 11/26/2012 6:56 pm

For some reason I can't see the picture you're talking about, buy I'll try again later.

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 11/27/2012 3:35 pm

Quite a lot lately, actually. So I've been reading up on acne scarring, and its really confusing to me. If scars only exist because the dermis is damaged, I'm wondering why my scars look the way they do. My 6month old one that I can't get a good picture of for the life of me, seems to be level, or damn near it. It's skin colored and I still see the edges. And everything I've read on Realself about the treatments, they say chemical peels or microdermabrasion won't do anything.

This scar bothers me the most, and I don't understand why it would be so hard to make less noticeable, if its so superficial. Unless its like a huge chunk of scar underneath it hiding it up or something. I did everything I could to prevent it from scaring.

But in my mind it seems impossible to fix because its not like the others I have. It's like... abnormal .-.

Ugh how I regret picking.

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 11/27/2012 3:55 pm

Please post a picture. I can't see any photos in your gallery. Perhaps, you have the privacy settings too tight.

Based on your most recent description, I am very confused. Earlier, as in weeks ago, you said the scar didn't wrinkle with your forehead. It sounds like a blemish that's healed a bit over the last few weeks. It may just fade with time, but without a picture, I don't know if you're just suffering from PIH or a real scar.

I consider "superficial" scars to be pigment and surface texture issues. I don't believe any real scars, even shallow indents, can be truly superficial. If so, they would be so much easier to treat!

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 11/27/2012 4:34 pm

Ah, yeah. I was freaking out thinking it was tethered down. The scar is in a place where my forehead already wrinkled up weird. It's not red, its skin colored. I'll try and get a picture up in a few minutes. Thanks (:

What do you mean by surface texture issues?

Please post a picture. I can't see any photos in your gallery. Perhaps, you have the privacy settings too tight.

Based on your most recent description, I am very confused. Earlier, as in weeks ago, you said the scar didn't wrinkle with your forehead. It sounds like a blemish that's healed a bit over the last few weeks. It may just fade with time, but without a picture, I don't know if you're just suffering from PIH or a real scar.

I consider "superficial" scars to be pigment and surface texture issues. I don't believe any real scars, even shallow indents, can be truly superficial. If so, they would be so much easier to treat!

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 11/27/2012 5:24 pm

You should be able to see it in my gallery now. I have it to where friends can see only. If you can't see it, or if the picture isn't the best quality I'll try to go in and fix/add a better picture later. My parents ate home, and I don't want them in my business. Plus if they see me upset over this thing again all hell will break loose... again .-.

Do you guys know if getting a cut over a scar would lead to more scaring or normal tissue replacing it?

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 11/28/2012 3:49 am

I can see your photo now. I responded on the photo. I think you're experiencing texture issues, as well as a bit of active acne. I think the scar is lighter because it's new skin and hasn't been exposed to the sun yet. See a dermatologist to clear your skin before you start to really scar.

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 11/28/2012 6:55 am

I can see your photo now. I responded on the photo. I think you're experiencing texture issues, as well as a bit of active acne. I think the scar is lighter because it's new skin and hasn't been exposed to the sun yet. See a dermatologist to clear your skin before you start to really scar.

Thanks, its appeased my mind that you say that. I, too, describe it as superficial. It's been causing me anxiety because in some light it looks like a dent! And I actually got sun on it before, probably a little too early, but it turned bright red and stung. It may have been a little too much sun... summers in Florida are hard to escape.

I thought.texture issues were bumps? I will see a derm. But I value this communities opinion cause you know more about treating things through.experience than I. What can be done about superficial scars?

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 11/28/2012 12:37 pm

Honestly, it's really hard for me to tell from your picture whether the scar is indented. It looks almost flush with the surrounding skin but the color is slightly off.

When I said, it's new skin, I meant it's not fully matured and exposed, like your surrounding skin. As such, the color is a little different. If I were you, I would keep it protected from the sun and stop rolling it. Give your skin time to heal. You could end up causing more damage by being too harsh on fragile, healing skin.

I consider texture issues to be irregularities on the surface of your skin. I can't see the texture of your scar from your picture but I believe using a topical (such as Retin-A) could improve the overall texture of your skin and help clear your acne. You really should be under a doctor's care when using a topical, as there can be side-effects.

None of us are doctors here. Seeing a picture is helpful but it still doesn't reflect reality. You really should see a dermatologist, and ask him/her these questions. I don't think you're ever going to be satisfied with any answer you find on this forum. We can only share our own experiences and personal opinions with you, but we can't diagnose or answer your specific questions like a qualified physician.

Have you tried calling your primary physician and asking for a referral to a dermatologist? Do you have to actually see your doctor to get a referral?

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 11/28/2012 2:34 pm

Honestly, it's really hard for me to tell from your picture whether the scar is indented. It looks almost flush with the surrounding skin but the color is slightly off.

When I said, it's new skin, I meant it's not fully matured and exposed, like your surrounding skin. As such, the color is a little different. If I were you, I would keep it protected from the sun and stop rolling it. Give your skin time to heal. You could end up causing more damage by being too harsh on fragile, healing skin.

I consider texture issues to be irregularities on the surface of your skin. I can't see the texture of your scar from your picture but I believe using a topical (such as Retin-A) could improve the overall texture of your skin and help clear your acne. You really should be under a doctor's care when using a topical, as there can be side-effects.

None of us are doctors here. Seeing a picture is helpful but it still doesn't reflect reality. You really should see a dermatologist, and ask him/her these questions. I don't think you're ever going to be satisfied with any answer you find on this forum. We can only share our own experiences and personal opinions with you, but we can't diagnose or answer your specific questions like a qualified physician.

Have you tried calling your primary physician and asking for a referral to a dermatologist? Do you have to actually see your doctor to get a referral?

Thanks for your input. I have stopped rolling it. I'm supposed to see my primary care doctor in January. I don't know about calling. I finally got out everything that's been bothering me about my skin to my mom, who I'm sure still has difficulty understanding because she probably only ever had one zit in her life. But I have her support now, which has eased my anxiety. She's one of those people that are like oh, you don't know what suffering is and all, but she understands these things affect me. It just sucks because my family has had it rough these past few years, so most things get put off. But hopefully things will get resolved. But anyway, thanks again, and to all of you who have been putting up with and listening to my constant whinning. I just tend to get really freaked out and I've always been so hard on myself, because every little bad things that happen only add to the stress of my life. But everything here is very much appreciatived. I've learned a lot. I haven't picked at my skin for quite some time, and its never looked better >.>