Notifications
Clear all

African Black Soap Experience

MemberMember
(@charon)

Posted : 11/24/2012 3:52 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to find a natural substitute for benzoyl perxoide, knowing it's adverse side effects. I've heard a lot of good stuff about African Black soaps, and I am currently in the process of trying one. I wash my face with it twice daily. Since I started using it, I have only got few new pimples - all appearing to be "descendants" of what has already been there in silence while using benzoyl peroxide. However, it makes the places where I had acne a lot more red.

It's been more than a week, and I am not sure what to think about the results. Am I just returning to my old bad skin before BP? Or is it actually supposed to be this way? Thanks for help.

MemberMember
(@lollypopfield)

Posted : 11/24/2012 3:59 pm

My friend tried African black soap, twice with 2 different brands.

The first time it worked very well for her (she has light acne and marks), but the second time she bought it from a different store, and broke out with pimples (something she didn't have before).

So Idk, I just wouldn't trust it as much.

Black soap does contain oil.

I would just try a gentle Cetaphil/CeraVe cleanser.

Its simple and removes oil from the face without drying it.

MemberMember
(@maximus-decimus-merideous)

Posted : 11/24/2012 4:08 pm

It's not going to be as effective as BP :-(. What adverse side effects are you having with BP? Most of them go away entirely with time.

MemberMember
(@cutiebear)

Posted : 11/24/2012 4:14 pm

Tea tree oil is a great natural substitute for BP.

MemberMember
(@charon)

Posted : 11/25/2012 4:59 am

The primary problem is that I live in a small country in EU, so getting most of the less known stuff is a rather hard job. No easy way to find 2.5% BP solution either. With benzoyl peroxide, my face gradually peels, becomes flaky. I know these are all expected side effects, but I've been stuck with those for more than two months now. My face, without anything on it, looks like a piece of plastic and feels dead and just worn out. You know what I mean, it's the exact opposite of healthy, live skin. I also read that BP produces free radicals and causes premature aging. I ignored all that before, as BP really does what it's supposed to (almost no pimples, redness goes away very fast), but then I get to a point when my face really just hurts and I feel so bad with it. That's why I wanted to try something natural, less harsh.

Rati: I might try a different brand - currently, I have akamuti african black soap. I have never head of those cleansers, probably because they can't be bought here, but I'll look for a way to get them.

cutiebear: Never heard of that either. Do you have any experience with it? I mean, it's still oil, right? Back in time, I applied some jojoba oil to my face and I broke out like never before.

[emotion warning]

I really envy all the people who have naturally wonderful skin and don't have to worry about anything. When I was 13 and my acne started to break out, I withdrew from all social life and dreaded moments away from my home. I didn't go anywhere, lost all my friends, became depressed, with my mood worsening every morning when I looked into the mirror and silently cursed and begged for a change. I tried literally everything available here, I bought all the products, went to dermatologist, got my face electrically cleaned, everything. Nothing has worked, except for Benzoyl peroxide. But with it, my face becomes a pile of dead skin cells - not red, but still dead.

[/ end of emotion warning]

I'd like to put the emphasis on the product not having to be natural, I'd just like to find a way to make my face clean and healthy looking at the same time.

Thanks for your help.

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 11/25/2012 1:41 pm

The dull look of your skin caused by benzoyl peroxide can be combated with good moisturisers and serums. I can't say I have a problem like you, but most people's skin looks nice if they moisturise their skin adequately when using BP. A chemical exfoliant can also help to brighten your complexion if you can't tolerate manual exfoliation, i.e scrubbing.

Also, these 'free radicals' are only created when you expose your skin unprotected to the rays of the sun. If you use sunscreen, you'll be fine. It's estimated that 80% of ageing is caused by excessive sun exposure, even if you don't use BP. I honestly don't think BP makes that much of a difference.

MemberMember
(@murph89)

Posted : 11/26/2012 12:06 am

African black soap is great, but its rally really drying. Even if I use it once a week, immediatly after using it, my face is tight and starts to get really dry. It's really only something to be used during the summer when it's really humid.

MemberMember
(@charon)

Posted : 11/26/2012 7:09 am

The dull look of your skin caused by benzoyl peroxide can be combated with good moisturisers and serums. I can't say I have a problem like you, but most people's skin looks nice if they moisturise their skin adequately when using BP. A chemical exfoliant can also help to brighten your complexion if you can't tolerate manual exfoliation, i.e scrubbing.

Also, these 'free radicals' are only created when you expose your skin unprotected to the rays of the sun. If you use sunscreen, you'll be fine. It's estimated that 80% of ageing is caused by excessive sun exposure, even if you don't use BP. I honestly don't think BP makes that much of a difference.

I've been using Dan Kern's moisturizer, yet it seems like it's not enough to keep my face looking healthy. Are there any products which could be better in my situation? I am already using forwarding company to send me Acne.org products from USA, so it won't be really a problem to add/replace something.

About those free radicals, I am not scientifically educated to make any statements, I merely scourged the internet for information. I'll try to look into it more - I really don't want to hurt my face/body in long term.

African black soap is great, but its rally really drying. Even if I use it once a week, immediatly after using it, my face is tight and starts to get really dry. It's really only something to be used during the summer when it's really humid.

I agree about it's drying effect, but for me it seems to be a lot weaker. What you described reminds me of when my ex-dermatologist prescribed me 10% BP solution without any moisturizer - I held it for few days, then my face became totally destroyed. That's what, in fact, made me buy products from USA and register to this forum.