Getting A Tan + Tat...

Notifications
Clear all

Getting A Tan + Tattoo While Under The Regimen?

MemberMember
(@kekeeke)

Posted : 11/24/2012 2:27 pm

How to proceed, should I stop the regimen 1 week before going for a tan? I use the regimen on my chest/back/face and I know dan warns us if we are about to be a long time in sunlight and I imagine getting a tan is even worse so I'm really unsure what to do.

Also I'm going to get a tattoo once the acne on my chest is clear, can i keep using the regimen on my future tattoo? or should I stop for a while after getting it done?

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 11/24/2012 4:44 pm

Using alpha hydroxy acids or chemical exfoliants that thin the skin makes you more likely to suffer a worse burn. I'd advise you to not get a tan at all because it can decrease the effectiveness of peeling agents as you're damaging your skin. Long term sun damage, including tanning, can easily lead to premature wrinkles/aging and predispose you to skin cancer.

With tattoos, it takes about 4-7 or so days for the irritation and redness to subside. It's a good idea to leave it alone and watch that area in case you are allergic to the ink pigments from your tattoo.

Edit: grammar correction.

MemberMember
(@elsewhere)

Posted : 11/24/2012 7:15 pm

Definitely leave off the BP while the tattoo is freshly healing. And know that tats can flake for months afterwards, so you might have to be really sparing with it until it is 100% healed. I'm thinking of getting another shoulder tat soon, or else a ribcage one - both of which are places I can break out easily. So this is a good question!

MemberMember
(@kekeeke)

Posted : 11/24/2012 11:11 pm

Using alpha hydroxy acids or chemical exfoliants that thin the skin makes you more likely to suffer a worse burn. I'd advise you to not get a tan at all because it can decrease the effectiveness of peeling agents as you're damaging your skin. Long term sun damage, including tanning, can easily lead to premature wrinkles/aging and predispose you to skin cancer.

With tattoos, it takes about 4-7 or so days for the irritation and redness from a new tattoo subside. It's a good idea to leave it alone and watch that area in case you are allergic to the ink pigments from your tattoo.

I know the side effects of getting a tan but I think the social positive outweighs the negatives but with the regimen.. ugh yea I probably can't risk it :(

By leaving my tattoo you mean not even use the cleanser? Also any tips from preventing it from flaking?

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 11/24/2012 11:38 pm

With tattoos, it takes about 4-7 or so days for the irritation and redness from a new tattoo subside. It's a good idea to leave it alone and watch that area in case you are allergic to the ink pigments from your tattoo.

I know the side effects of getting a tan but I think the social positive outweighs the negatives but with the regimen.. ugh yea I probably can't risk it sad.png

By leaving my tattoo you mean not even use the cleanser? Also any tips from preventing it from flaking?

Only use a basic cleanser like Cetaphil Antibacterial Soap. If it starts to flake, use a cream like Aquaphor or another product that has petroleum jelly and glycerin. With fresh tattoos you have to be careful when applying products because the skin is still healing and don't touch or pick at it. (Hopefully the tattoo artists will tell you basic after care like what I'm writing now!) But for the most part leave it alone. Watch out for infections because at some tattoo parlors the workers don't clean their needles properly so be sure to get one at a reputable place.

MemberMember
(@kekeeke)

Posted : 11/24/2012 11:44 pm

I know the side effects of getting a tan but I think the social positive outweighs the negatives but with the regimen.. ugh yea I probably can't risk it sad.png

Only use a basic cleanser like Cetaphil Antibacterial Soap. If it starts to flake, use a cream like Aquaphor or another product that has petroleum jelly and glycerin. With fresh tattoos you have to be careful when applying products because the skin is still healing and don't touch or pick at it. (Hopefully the tattoo artists will tell you basic after care like what I'm writing now!) But for the most part leave it alone. Watch out for infections because at some tattoo parlors the workers don't clean their needles properly so be sure to get one at a reputable place.

Thank you very much I appreciate this

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 11/24/2012 11:55 pm

You're welcome! :)

MemberMember
(@swj48)

Posted : 11/26/2012 2:20 am

if you get a tattoo, you are supposed to be washing it with soap on a regular basis. you then need to apply lotion to it, my tattoo artist always recommends lubriderm non-scented for me after i get a new tat. DO NOT do the regimen on your new tattoo until it has FULLY healed, which takes about 30 days. honestly i would recommend not getting a tattoo in a place where you are acne prone. idk the long lasting effects of using bp over a tattoo because i only have them on my arms and shoulders where i do not get acne, but i assume it cannot be good for the ink. just my opinion but id recommend reconsidering the location of your new tattoo and getting it somewhere where you do not break out. if you end up doing it on the chest still, DO NOT do the regimen over it for AT LEAST 30 days. allow it to properly heal. just wash it with soap and water in the shower every day and apply lotion (i recommend the lubriderm that i mentioned above - it works great for me when i get a new tattoo and as i said my tattoo artist says it is the best)

kekeeke liked