Notifications
Clear all

Diaper Rash Cream...?

MemberMember
(@wrongtiming)

Posted : 11/24/2012 12:01 pm

so i picked at a pimple this week and it left a huge open sore. additionally, i had the worst breakout of my life with a HUGE zit and multiple smaller zits on my forehead. i bought Desitin diaper rash cream, and it literally seemed to heal everything over night. my skin already looks so much better and the breakout is almost gone. my question is, does Desitin (which is 40% zinc oxide, and it has cod liver oil) help in fading dark marks? thanks!

MemberMember
(@elsewhere)

Posted : 11/24/2012 7:55 pm

I'd be interested in knowing this. I have some Desitin sitting in the bathroom cupboard myself.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 11/24/2012 10:01 pm

Zinc salts are used in some prescription topicals for acne. However, I couldn't find anything specifically related to zinc oxide and acne. Zinc oxide is used in other skin irritations like eczema and warts.

Theoretically, zinc oxide would work but I wouldn't like the thought of applying diaper cream on my face. confused.gif

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 11/26/2012 8:24 am

Just wanted to say that I slept with Desitin all over my face last night just to try it. And I think my skin looks noticeably better! :) 3 clogged pores I had shrunk down a good bit, and it seemed to heal my dry, irritated skin. My skin just looked clearer and more refreshed.

It is weird that it's diaper rash cream but hey, whatever works...I don't care. lol

The only thing that is troublesome about Desitin is that it gets all on your pillow. :S I don't really know how to avoid that.

MemberMember
(@elsewhere)

Posted : 11/26/2012 8:27 am

Keep us posted on how this experiment goes!

MemberMember
(@wrongtiming)

Posted : 11/26/2012 12:01 pm

yeah, i used it for a couple of nights and my skin just looks a lot better. i broke out yesterday though because my skin was so dry ... so I'll just use this on it tonight haha

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 11/26/2012 1:38 pm

So, what is in Desitin Original Formula? The ingredients in Desitin are: Zinc oxide 40%, BHA, Cod Liver Oil, Fragrance, Lanolin, Methylparaben, Petrolatum, Talc.

So what do you think, safe or not? Lets just talk about a couple of the ingredients.

(1) BHA. BHA is associated with cancer and hormone disruption in laboratory animals. .It has been banned from cosmetics in the EU because of skin dipigmentation.

(2) Fragrance. Synthetic fragrance contains phthalates, hormone disrupting chemicals. A study published in Pediatrics showed the presence of phthalate metabolites in the urine of infants and that exposure is widespread, 81% of the infants tested have 7 phthalates above detection limits.

(3) Methylparaben. Methylparaben is one of the parabens, the most widely used preservatives in cosmetics. Parabens are hormone disruptors. And, although they have been found in breast cancer tumors, no direct link has been established between parabens and breast cancer development. A small percentage of the population is also allergic to parabens, resulting in contact dermatitis reactions.

>>>I quoted this source for ya'll just so that you can be aware of what you're putting on your skin. The choice if yours. They key would be to isolate the zinc oxide and cod liver oil and make your own little concoction without all the harmful chemicals. Cheers.<<<<

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 11/27/2012 1:18 am

I don't understand what's so bad about BHA since it seems to be in so many skin products?

Also, what's wrong with fragrance, other then it being a possible skin irritant?

And if there is no direct link b/t Methylparaben and cancer, then there is no direct link. That's like saying diet sodas cause cancer.

It could possibly be a skin irritant though.

Ah well. I probably won't use this for a long time or anything anyway.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 11/28/2012 4:17 pm

Let me clear up some potential confusion: BHA is Butylated hydroxyanisole which is a preservative, not Beta Hydroxy Acid.

With most of these [insert ingredient]-causes-cancer-and/or-hormone-disruption studies, they've only been in mice or other animals and the ingredient has been given to them in doses much higher than it would be found in OTC products. Also, the mode of delivery is important in determining how much gets into the body (ingesting versus topical application) and if the body can absorb it in sufficient quantities (not having it expelled or broken down) to have an effect. "81% of the infants tested have 7 phthalates above detection limits" sounds scary, but if the body is expelling everything and not absorbing it then it doesn't matter.

There has been no direct connection linking the amount of parabens, phthalates and BHA used in foods and OTC topicals in humans to any cancer or hormone-distruption. Parabens can, however, cause contact dermatitis if the quantities are sufficient in particularly sensitive populations like those who have atopic dermatitis or diseases with clinical skin barrier dysfunction.

MemberMember
(@naea)

Posted : 06/17/2013 6:00 am

You should try cortisone and steroid-free creams and the ones that can be applied to all parts of the body.

My baby had diaper rash and it spreads quickly to other parts of the body. especially to legs and the back.

I have been using Coresatin for 2 months and it has been really helpful. You can buy the cream online and the price is really fair.

Don't forget, Pink Coresatin. Please let me know about the process. rolleyes.gif