Notifications
Clear all

How Much Spiro?

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 11/23/2012 1:59 pm

Hey ya'll.

I just started on Spiro and I'm on 50mg/day.

Will that be enough; it seems all the posts I see are for 100-200mg/day.

Just wondering if anyone can attest to only 50 working for them?

I have big, deep under the skin cysts I'm trying to rid.

Thanks

MemberMember
(@the-uphill-battle)

Posted : 11/23/2012 11:20 pm

50mg didn't quite do it for me, but my doctor gradually increased my dosage. I would talk to your doctor about doing the same thing. I take 200mg/day. My skin is not perfect by any means, but it's come miles from where it was before spiro. You'll be happy to know that it did forever stop the painful cysts under the skin, though. Also, be very patient with this medication. I didn't see real results until probably 8 months or so and then it just continued to get better and better with time. I've been on it for years now. Let me know if there's any other questions I can answer for you. Goodluck.

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 11/24/2012 10:23 am

50mg didn't quite do it for me, but my doctor gradually increased my dosage. I would talk to your doctor about doing the same thing. I take 200mg/day. My skin is not perfect by any means, but it's come miles from where it was before spiro. You'll be happy to know that it did forever stop the painful cysts under the skin, though. Also, be very patient with this medication. I didn't see real results until probably 8 months or so and then it just continued to get better and better with time. I've been on it for years now. Let me know if there's any other questions I can answer for you. Goodluck.

Ok, thank you, I will ask for more.

How soon after you started did you get to 200mg?

Can I also ask, did you get the kind of cysts that never had a heed and stay on your face for months?

Thats what I have right now.

Thanks

MemberMember
(@the-uphill-battle)

Posted : 11/28/2012 5:21 pm

I begged my doctor to let me go up to 200mg/day pretty soon after starting the medication,25mg a day and 50mg was doing nothing for me. He was worried about my blood pressure, because it's naturally low, but I've adjusted just fine. And yes, I got the cysts that stayed around foreveerrrrrrr and when they did go they'd leave deep scars. I have lots of those scars on my face to remind me of those bad days...pretty awesome. So those should go away for you, you may just get the easier to manage pimples. That's been the case for me, anyway.

MemberMember
(@luv2bbroke)

Posted : 11/29/2012 10:01 pm

Info on me: I'm 33 years old. Have 3 kids. Have moderate cystic acne for 3 years. Have tried almost everything. I use 302 skincare ( it is amazing). Mild allergy to milk and chicken eggs. When I cut these out of diet I reduced the cystic part of my acne but who can live without cheese? So I still have acne but eating less of things has helped and 302 skincare is also very gentle on my skin and gives me NO irritation. I love that.

My derm put me on 75mg from the start which was a bad idea. ( I had severe headache, severe thirst, leg cramps and anxiety) It is important to take this medication gradually. I had to start over with half a pill but after 3 weeks I'm finally at 75mg. Now I'm doing fine. I've been on it for a month and I do see some improvement. My derm told me that each person is so different. Some need to go up to 200mg but some can do very well with a lower dose. I hope things work out for me on 75mg. Just the other day I checked in with my derm and she gave me an rx for clindamycin, a probiotic and Sprintec BP. So I just started that and so far so good. My acne is moderate and it seems to be improving some. She wants me on the clindamycin until my next visit in 2 months. She believes my skin will be clear by then. I sure hope so because I'm sick of this.

MemberMember
(@jwaltersrn)

Posted : 12/18/2012 6:39 pm

Wow. My derm put me on 100mg right away and I'm supposed to increase to 200 tomorrow, now that I've been on it only a WEEK without falling over dead! LOL

She also wanted me to do Accutane first, so maybe I'm just a bad case and she knew it??? I classify myself as moderate, but my derm brought the big guns to the show! LOL... I'll let youknow if it works, but I havent seen any success stories at 50mg... good luck

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 12/19/2012 10:52 am

I actually talked my derm into upping it to 100mg; so that's what I'm taking now.

MemberMember
(@mandycollins)

Posted : 01/09/2013 1:28 am

I hope I found my magic pill! I've been suffering from moderate acne since 14 and now I'm 30. I've tried BCP, antibiotics, creams, retinol, pro active, you name it I tried it. Been seeing many different Derms, OBGYN, & family doctors over the years. Many of them were trying to get me ON"ACCUTANE" which I don't think that is for me. But this last Derm I went to told me everything that I thought was correct from the beginning!!! I've always known that it was something internal that needs to be fixed. Accutane wouldn't fix my problem, it will just mask my problem and when I got off it will come back. So now I'm on Spiro and he started me on 50mg. Been on it for 2 days now. Not much has changed of course but I have notice that when I woke this morning, my face was less oily as usual. Which is a blessing! So I will keep you posted on the 50 mg.. I go back in 2 months to see if I need to raise my dose.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/09/2013 12:10 pm

50mg for a month, then 100mg. But I think my doc should have upped it more gradually, I didn't adjust well at first to 100mg that fast.

MemberMember
(@mandycollins)

Posted : 01/09/2013 12:46 pm

What happened when your dose was raised to quickly? I was thinking about asking him to raise it sooner for me seeing all this other post about 100, 150, to 200 Mg. Thanks.

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 01/09/2013 1:30 pm

What happened when your dose was raised to quickly? I was thinking about asking him to raise it sooner for me seeing all this other post about 100, 150, to 200 Mg. Thanks.

Mandy; I think you need to quote Green gables if you want her to see your question on this thread.

MemberMember
(@mandycollins)

Posted : 01/09/2013 3:24 pm

Thanks DC. New to this site