Notifications
Clear all

Ice Or Heat

MemberMember
(@dc-girl-3)

Posted : 11/22/2012 5:51 pm

Ok, How come some people say cold will help BP (or some other topical) penetrate?

But most others say apply heat first then the product.

This makes the most sense; heat opens up the pores............so how can they both help product penetration?

I am dealing with cysts and trying to figure out the best way to treat them.

One that's been around for over 2 weeks and one has been there 2 months.

MemberMember
(@elsewhere)

Posted : 11/22/2012 6:00 pm

Dan did a test with this years ago - I don't know if I could find the thread. He had put his BP in the fridge and would apply it from there. He said that while the cooling feel was nice, he didn't notice any real difference in how it treated his acne.

But, if you were to do so a quick steam before applying the BP, that might help. The whole opening up pores thing. I did that for a while and it made my skin very soft and the BP absorbed very well. You have to be extra gentle, though - cysts are more susceptible to being jostled open when the blood and skin is that close to the surface.

MemberMember
(@williamrickard)

Posted : 11/22/2012 6:35 pm

Hot is good, kills bacteria, opens the pores and therefor helps with spots. Get an anti-inflammatory in you if it's a bad cyst, like ibuprofen.

Cold can also be good, but closes the pores which is what you want to do, ie. prevent infection.

Either or, i'd go for hot.

MemberMember
(@hunyeo)

Posted : 11/23/2012 1:34 am

Neither. My acne lessened when i stop the hassle of using the steam and ice. I just concentrated on my treatment..

MemberMember
(@jacinthaa)

Posted : 11/23/2012 2:31 am

My personal experience, if you ice a very tiny red bump/zit, it will dry out faster and it will be gone in about 2 days.

This method doesn't work with cysts, cause they are too deep.

The only thing you can do with cysts is heat them, praying that they will come to the surface, and hopefully they will go away on their own. Taking an anti-inflammatory will also help a lot.

MemberMember
(@steamroom)

Posted : 11/23/2012 11:10 pm

My personal experience, if you ice a very tiny red bump/zit, it will dry out faster and it will be gone in about 2 days.

This method doesn't work with cysts, cause they are too deep.

The only thing you can do with cysts is heat them, praying that they will come to the surface, and hopefully they will go away on their own. Taking an anti-inflammatory will also help a lot.

No I have to strongly disagree. You should ice the cysts to reduce the inflammation. The pain beneath the skin, around the cyst, is an indication of inflammation and an indication that the Cyst will form. I begin to ice immediately when I feel the pain or bump. I ice for 3 minutes in the morning, sometimes the afternoon, and the night as well.

The icing will reduce inflammation and eventually the bump will become painless and disappear. It is not uncommon for my cysts to not even form due to icing.

DEFINITELY ICE!!!