Notifications
Clear all

Acne And Dryness!

MemberMember
(@poeticphantom)

Posted : 11/20/2012 7:12 pm

Ok so basically I'm 17 and I've had small to mild acne for 2-3 years now. I'd always have at least 1-3 pimples on my face all the time.. I was prescribed benzoyl and enthroymcin topical gel for 2 months and I used it and it just made my skin severely dry and as horrible, the dermatologist was a total idiot too, he had VERY poor reviews and he has a horrible personality.

So around 2 weeks ago I halted the topical gel, bought Clean n Clear 3-in-1 advantage cleanser. First week, it worked wonders and I felt it working. Second week, now, it's getting better. Problem? DRYNESS, FLAKINESS AND ITCH. The first week none of these 3 things showed, now they show! I don't want to stop using this cleanser, I use it 2 times a day. I've been told to use moisturizer.

The only moisturizer I have at home is the clinique dramatically different moisturizing gel which my mom uses for her face. Can I use this or what? Or should I just go to the local walgreens and buy a different moisturizer for my face?

Also, if I can use it or with whatever moisturizer you suggest for me, do I apply it twice a day following my clean n clear uses, or before it? Like do I apply it 10 minutes after the acne medication, or before? (Clean n Clear 3-in-1 is rubbed all over the face and then rinsed off)

I'm afraid to use it because I think it'll make my acne worse, so I need some serious facts and answers on what I should do with this dilemma! Thanks for your help.

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 11/20/2012 8:00 pm

I was always told never to use the clinique dramatically different moisturizer if you are acne prone because it is not oil free. Don't use it! I suggest Olay for sensitive skin. I apply moisturizer after washing my face, let it dry, then apply your benzoyl or whatever else you're using.

MemberMember
(@poeticphantom)

Posted : 11/20/2012 9:24 pm

I was always told never to use the clinique dramatically different moisturizer if you are acne prone because it is not oil free. Don't use it! I suggest Olay for sensitive skin. I apply moisturizer after washing my face, let it dry, then apply your benzoyl or whatever else you're using.

'

What about Neutrogena Hand Cream? It says it can be used for face too (I have it at home). I think I have sensitive skin too, not sure.

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 11/20/2012 9:29 pm

'

What about Neutrogena Hand Cream? It says it can be used for face too (I have it at home). I think I have sensitive skin too, not sure.

If that's all you have using it for a night probably won't do much harm but I would suggest buying something else. The neutrogena hand cream contains sodium sulfate which may irritate your skin. You could put some olive oil or coconut oil on your face to moisturize if you have any.

MemberMember
(@poeticphantom)

Posted : 11/20/2012 10:14 pm

'

If that's all you have using it for a night probably won't do much harm but I would suggest buying something else. The neutrogena hand cream contains sodium sulfate which may irritate your skin. You could put some olive oil or coconut oil on your face to moisturize if you have any.

Tomorrow I'm going to Walgreens and they got a whole section of creams etc. My mom told me to get Neutrogena, but you said Olay. I'm not sure which moisturizer to get. Do you really think Olay will work? I have dryness/flakiness all over ma face and its a bit itchy. So can you be really specific and tell me which to get and how to apply it? I don't want to take any chances and causing a mess up and a huge break out.

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 11/20/2012 10:49 pm

'

Tomorrow I'm going to Walgreens and they got a whole section of creams etc. My mom told me to get Neutrogena, but you said Olay. I'm not sure which moisturizer to get. Do you really think Olay will work? I have dryness/flakiness all over ma face and its a bit itchy. So can you be really specific and tell me which to get and how to apply it? I don't want to take any chances and causing a mess up and a huge break out.

Well I've used both neutrogena and olay and I prefer olay because it's more moisturzing and I experience no irritation from it. I get the dry/flakiness sometimes too and the olay definitely helps with that. http://www.walgreens...d365475-product

If all you're using is a cleanser just wash your face then apply the moisturizer all over your face after, morning and night. I personally like to apply moisturizer then apply the benzoyl over it on areas that are broken out but some people prefer to apply the benzoyl prior to the moisturizer.

MemberMember
(@poeticphantom)

Posted : 11/21/2012 4:48 pm

So I got the exact moisturizer you told me to get and I took a shower, applied my clean n clear and waited 10 mind and put on the moisturizer and felt a tiny burn and my face is red now. Is this right?

MemberMember
(@poeticphantom)

Posted : 11/22/2012 8:19 am

'

Well I've used both neutrogena and olay and I prefer olay because it's more moisturzing and I experience no irritation from it. I get the dry/flakiness sometimes too and the olay definitely helps with that. http://www.walgreens...d365475-product

If all you're using is a cleanser just wash your face then apply the moisturizer all over your face after, morning and night. I personally like to apply moisturizer then apply the benzoyl over it on areas that are broken out but some people prefer to apply the benzoyl prior to the moisturizer.

I used the moisturizer last night after applying my clean n clear, (waited 10 mins), and my face turned red. After 30-40mins, it faded. Do i still sue it or what?

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 11/22/2012 11:36 am

'

I used the moisturizer last night after applying my clean n clear, (waited 10 mins), and my face turned red. After 30-40mins, it faded. Do i still sue it or what?

well depending on how irritated your skin is right now, anything you put on it will probably turn it red and irritate it. I don't think it's the moisturizer, I think your skin is just irritated to begin with.

MemberMember
(@mfxfitness)

Posted : 11/27/2012 10:17 am

Dryness may be caused by several factors such as BP, cleanser, hard water, cold weather, genetics, etc... Personally, I found that the best way to combat dryness was to use a moisturizing cleanser like Cetaphil Moisturizing Cleanser (Sorry, but Dan's was too harsh for my skin), air drying my face for 5 minutes before applying BP, using the proper moisturizers, and time helped tremendously. I feel the best moisturizers for regimen users with extremely dry skin are Dan's and Cetaphil Dry Skin Moisturizer, mixing in jojoba oil when necessary... The soothing properties in both moisturizers are amazing and your skin will just drink them both up...If you are at the beginning of DKR, it will take time to find a moisturizer that works well, so trial and error are inevitable. However, I believe both are worth a shot for aiding with dry skin... Good luck!! smile.png

MemberMember
(@victoria201)

Posted : 11/28/2012 3:20 am

Honestly i have moderate-severe acne since i was 14 and using the benzoyl and enthroymcin topical gel was a miracle worker! It cleared up my skin and made it stay clear! I went from having 5 pimples on each cheek to having Maybe 1 pimple! You just have to let it dry your skin, thats part of the process! Im sure since you have mild acne it could clear up your skin no problem!

And the moisturizer i use is aveno daily moisturizer! I switched recently to the acne.org moisturizer and would suggest that for your dry skin!