Job Interview With Acne

MemberMember
(@james9)

Posted : 11/20/2012 4:20 pm

Is there anything worse?

MemberMember
(@xxmarkesiaxx)

Posted : 11/20/2012 4:56 pm

First date with acne... Sounds pretty blah as well, no?

MemberMember
(@james9)

Posted : 11/20/2012 5:17 pm

yeah, true! Or meeting their family for the first time with acne. Been there, done that. So much anxiety.

MemberMember
(@xxmarkesiaxx)

Posted : 11/21/2012 5:16 pm

Or a reunion! Being clear skinned as a teenager and then, a decade after, meeting with old mates with a face mixed in pimples and wrinkles! Oh dear Lord, let this be just a BAD, BAD joke!

MemberMember
(@randall-flagg)

Posted : 11/21/2012 6:15 pm

It's definitely tough! Job interviews are always stressful, and when you have acne it just makes it so much worse. Always seems like your skills aren't the only things being scrutinized...but your face is being scrutinized as well. :P You just gotta try to be as confident as you can and wing it, that's what I always do.

MemberMember
(@adhpn7)

Posted : 11/22/2012 1:10 am

Job interviews are really tough, because usually women want to look as clean and fresh faced as possible. It's impossible to look freshfaced with acne, or cakey foundation. :/ I always feel sloppy.

MemberMember
(@blissbalance)

Posted : 11/22/2012 1:54 am

How about seeing old friends that have never seen you with acne before?

MemberMember
(@lightersup)

Posted : 11/22/2012 12:18 pm

How about seeing old friends that have never seen you with acne before?

This so much. Seeing old friends/family can be very depressing with a face full of acne, especially when you were clear the last time you saw them. I imagine "wtf happened to your face?" is the worst possible reaction.

MemberMember
(@scov93)

Posted : 11/22/2012 12:35 pm

i've got an interview on saturday for a weekend job. also its in a restaurant in chelsea. i cant even stand walking through chelsea too many good looking people :S

MemberMember
(@lollypopfield)

Posted : 11/22/2012 4:40 pm

Well unless good looks are mandatory to get the job, then acne or no acne, it doesn't even matter.

You need that charismatic confidence.

Also in an article on Yahoo, I read that female employers are more likely to hire less attractive female candidates as opposed to attractive female candidates (given that their qualifications are the same and all).

And male employers also tend to hire the less attractive male employees (given that the qualifications are the same and all).

Interesting isn't it?

Well, I thought it was.

MemberMember
(@scov93)

Posted : 11/23/2012 10:27 am

Well unless good looks are mandatory to get the job, then acne or no acne, it doesn't even matter.

Also in an article on Yahoo, I read that female employers are more likely to hire less attractive female candidates as opposed to attractive female candidates (given that their qualifications are the same and all).

And male employers also tend to hire the less attractive male employees (given that the qualifications are the same and all).

Interesting isn't it?

Well, I thought it was.

when it comes to male interviewing female and vice versa i'm almost certain the results will be the exact opposite lol.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 11/24/2012 3:32 pm

Yeah, job interviews are terrible. What I really hate is that I'll often wear makeup to the interview, but it's wayyy too much on my skin to wear it every day. So then I create a situation where the interviewer sees me looking much better than I actually look. So then the first day I go to work without makeup I am just completely filled with anxiety thinking that everyone is going to be wondering why I got so much uglier.

MemberMember
(@srotriya)

Posted : 11/24/2012 4:44 pm

Interesting isn't it?

Well, I thought it was.

That depends on who is doing the hiring also, and what kind of job you're applying for. However, in this world it seems that unattractive people are the majority and attractive people are the minority. People tend to group together with their own kind. If attractive people were the majority then maybe it would be more difficult to land a job if you were ugly, rather than handsome.

You see, in America, we have very strict laws about "Equal Employment Opportunity". It is not ok to discriminate on the basis of race, but it IS ok to discriminate against people who stand out from the rest of the herd. Like attractive people, or people with acne for example. Even though most people fail to realize that attractive people are, in fact, their own separate race, distinct from the Jews, blacks, gypsies, asians, and other ethnic groups.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 11/24/2012 5:06 pm

It's okay to discriminate for any reason. Not OKAY, but it happens, and there isn't anything you can do about it. How many times have you applied somewhere and never heard anything back? It's not like they have to send you a letter stating the reason they didn't hire you. There really is no protection for anyone and employers can discriminate any way they want, even for race. All they have to do is say "someone else was more qualified."

MemberMember
(@scov93)

Posted : 11/24/2012 5:09 pm

Interesting isn't it?

Well, I thought it was.

That depends on who is doing the hiring also, and what kind of job you're applying for. However, in this world it seems that unattractive people are the majority and attractive people are the minority. People tend to group together with their own kind. If attractive people were the majority then maybe it would be more difficult to land a job if you were ugly, rather than handsome.

You see, in America, we have very strict laws about "Equal Employment Opportunity". It is not ok to discriminate on the basis of race, but it IS ok to discriminate against people who stand out from the rest of the herd. Like attractive people, or people with acne for example. Even though most people fail to realize that attractive people are, in fact, their own separate race, distinct from the Jews, blacks, gypsies, asians, and other ethnic groups.

sorry but the last sentence is the most ridiculous thing ive ever seen.

it also depends on what you perceive to be attractive or not attractive.

and besides all that i think that your ability to perform in the job and the way you come across socially are far more important.

people who think they're not "attractive" believe all this crap about looks being important and this then makes them less sociable and confident in how they present themselves and communicate, thats the real problem

MemberMember
(@elsewhere)

Posted : 11/24/2012 7:06 pm

and besides all that i think that your ability to perform in the job and the way you come across socially are far more important.

people who think they're not "attractive" believe all this crap about looks being important and this then makes them less sociable and confident in how they present themselves and communicate, thats the real problem

Unfortunately, we all know acne affects how others interact with us - the condition would not pain us so much otherwise. There is a lot of work involved in unthreading and unlearning societal conditioned beauty, though. What helps is confidence, finding things about yourself outside of acne that you find beautiful, and support.

MemberMember
(@srotriya)

Posted : 11/25/2012 8:15 am

It is rather pointless to debate what is attractive and unattractive, but if you want me to spell it out for you, I can oblige. Acne is unattractive. Enough said.

In females, attractiveness is having a curvy body, big lips, etc. In men- muscles, masculinity, etc. The shape of the face applies to both sexes.

Every person is essentially a prisoner in their own body. You can get cosmetic surgery, and take medications, and maybe things like that do people a lot of good. But you can't change your bone structure no matter how much dough you have to throw around.

Maybe some people think it's not a big deal. But you might if you were a really ugly person, or, in the extreme case, hideously deformed.

We're all doomed to be miserable. That's my opinion.

MemberMember
(@scov93)

Posted : 11/25/2012 8:47 am

Unfortunately, we all know acne affects how others interact with us - the condition would not pain us so much otherwise. There is a lot of work involved in unthreading and unlearning societal conditioned beauty, though. What helps is confidence, finding things about yourself outside of acne that you find beautiful, and support.

maybe this is going to sound stupid or maybe ive just been very lucky but when i look back on the time i had bad acne ( im pretty much clear now and my scar and red marks are fading well) i dont think anyone treated me any differently than they did when i didnt have acne. at times i thought they were but really most of its in your head. also what ive noticed is people with acne who act in a way i.e. shy, nervous, try to hide face etc will be treated differently by people but not directly because of their skin but people just think that they're weird and unsociable

can you think of a time you were treated differently only on the basis that you have bad skin

MemberMember
(@elsewhere)

Posted : 11/25/2012 8:53 am

maybe this is going to sound stupid or maybe ive just been very lucky but when i look back on the time i had bad acne ( im pretty much clear now and my scar and red marks are fading well) i dont think anyone treated me any differently than they did when i didnt have acne. at times i thought they were but really most of its in your head. also what ive noticed is people with acne who act in a way i.e. shy, nervous, try to hide face etc will be treated differently by people but not directly because of their skin but people just think that they're weird and unsociable

can you think of a time you were treated differently only on the basis that you have bad skin

Only in High School, when my acne was more moderate. And once at 18, when a stranger in an airport bathroom rushed up to me to tell me all I had to do was start eating leafy greens, which more baffled me than hurt me.

It must also be said, however, that I have never had severe acne. I've had friends who did and their experiences, as well as I what I saw, says that yes, they were treated much differently. It was heartbreaking.

MemberMember
(@scov93)

Posted : 11/25/2012 9:03 am

It is rather pointless to debate what is attractive and unattractive, but if you want me to spell it out for you, I can oblige. Acne is unattractive. Enough said.

In females, attractiveness is having a curvy body, big lips, etc. In men- muscles, masculinity, etc. The shape of the face applies to both sexes.

Every person is essentially a prisoner in their own body. You can get cosmetic surgery, and take medications, and maybe things like that do people a lot of good. But you can't change your bone structure no matter how much dough you have to throw around.

Maybe some people think it's not a big deal. But you might if you were a really ugly person, or, in the extreme case, hideously deformed.

i dont want to keep arguing but i have found people with acne attractive. im also not attracted to people who fit into your criteria for beauty.

obviously you can take the argument to the extremes like deformity and so on but really id say about 95% of people fall into the group of normality in the face at least. some thing affect the people in that group like acne, obesity etc but if they treat their skin, loose weight, build muscle and present themselves as being outgoing and confident no one is going to discriminate against you unless they themselves are incredibly shallow and insecure

Only in High School, when my acne was more moderate. And once at 18, when a stranger in an airport bathroom rushed up to me to tell me all I had to do was start eating leafy greens, which more baffled me than hurt me.

It must also be said, however, that I have never had severe acne. I've had friends who did and their experiences, as well as I what I saw, says that yes, they were treated much differently. It was heartbreaking.

ive also had people give me advice (or think they are ) deep down i really think they are trying to help they're just misinformed and/or stupid lol

MemberMember
(@bodie81)

Posted : 11/25/2012 10:50 am

I`ve been for lots of interviews during my working life - many of them were on occasions when my acne was quite severe and I can honestly say that I have never felt that I was discriminated against because I had acne.

On the occasions that I failed to get the job, I think it was probably more down to the fact that having acne made me feel more nervous, shy and self-conscious and as a consequence, I was less able to be articulate and show that I had the aptitude for the job.

MemberMember
(@scov93)

Posted : 11/25/2012 4:12 pm

I`ve been for lots of interviews during my working life - many of them were on occasions when my acne was quite severe and I can honestly say that I have never felt that I was discriminated against because I had acne.

On the occasions that I failed to get the job, I think it was probably more down to the fact that having acne made me feel more nervous, shy and self-conscious and as a consequence, I was less able to be articulate and show that I had the aptitude for the job.

Srotriya, sorry but I cannot agree with your statement that acne is unattractive period. You only have to look at the gallery on this website to see that even though they may suffer from acne, there are many attractive ladies. I cannot speak for the gents but I am sure some of the ladies out there will be able to vouch for the fact that there are also many attractive guys in the gallery as well.

Your view on what is attractive and unattractive seems to be very black and white and doesn`t take into account other factors such as personality, confidence, kindness, intelligence and the ability to make someone smile and laugh.

However, whilst I strongly disagree with your view on attractivenes - it`s an old cliche but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and everyone has a different opinion.

totally agree

MemberMember
(@srotriya)

Posted : 11/25/2012 4:12 pm

You guys are ridiculous. Have it your way- acne is attractive, and there is no such thing as having a criteria for physical beauty.

MemberMember
(@scov93)

Posted : 11/25/2012 4:28 pm

i cant say i really have a criteria. i've liked people of all shapes and sizes. i dont walk around analysing people to weather they fit into certain rules of beauty.

and i didnt mean to sound argumentative

MemberMember
(@scov93)

Posted : 11/25/2012 4:51 pm

You guys are ridiculous. Have it your way- acne is attractive, and there is no such thing as having a criteria for physical beauty.

how can you say we're ridiculous and then falsely accuse us of saying acne is attractive, my point isnt that acne is attractive its that having acne doesn't make you ugly.

im just trying to have a sensible debate im not actively trying to undermine you