Anyone Else Only Ge...

Notifications
Clear all

Anyone Else Only Get Acne On The Sides Of The Chin?

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 11/20/2012 10:47 am

For 12 years, I have broken out consistently and only on the sides of my chin. Everywhere else is clear. I know the lower face is a common area for adult female acne, but has anyone else had it in only this area? I feel very alone with this and after all these years I still don't know what the cause is. I have had extra hair issues since puberty, but my testosterone and free testosterone are both on the very low side of normal. I just want this resolved once and for all and am looking for someone like me:(

MemberMember
(@beths218)

Posted : 11/20/2012 12:42 pm

I'm also an adult female and get acne in the same place. Clear forehead, horrible chin and now cheeks too. You're not alone!

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 11/20/2012 8:29 pm

Hey there. Thanks for responding. I have always assumed it's something hormonal but I don't know what. I just read your other post and I feel for you about starting a family. My acne got way worse when I got off the pill and then much worse when I got pregnant. It's a hormonal roller coaster ride, but for some people their skin clears up so I don't want to scare you. Have you done any hormonal testing or anything?

MemberMember
(@beths218)

Posted : 11/21/2012 10:44 am

I haven't but I have an appointment scheduled in 3 weeks. Is it bad that I'm almost hoping there is something abnormal? At least then there will be an explanation for this nonsense! HAHA!

In any case it sounds like you and I have the same issue. It's frustrating for sure but I guess you just gotta roll with it.

MemberMember
(@chelslaw)

Posted : 11/21/2012 2:41 pm

thats my issue too!

cutting out gluten and taking saw palmetto has helped me ALOT

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 11/21/2012 4:57 pm

Even when your hormones come up as "normal" the ratio could be off (estrogen in relation to profesterone) leading to an easy to gloss over hormonal dominance problem. Also- many western doctors don't even test correctly- you're supposed to test throughout the cycle- not just once- to see the peaks and lows and if they are functioning properly. I get acne on sides of chin as well- but where do I not get it? Ha ha. Chin and jawline on females is most strongly correlated to hormones. Try taking vitex amd chromium picolinate for possible insulin resistance

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 11/21/2012 5:57 pm

Oh someone else! Yay! haha. Have you had any hormonal testing done? How long did it take you to see results going gluten free and with the SP? Have you been tested for glutan intolerance? Anything else about your situation? I'm so interested to know why this is my problem. I tried SP for like a week but felt like I was breaking out more so I wasn't sure about continuing...

thats my issue too!

cutting out gluten and taking saw palmetto has helped me ALOT

MemberMember
(@chelslaw)

Posted : 11/22/2012 5:13 pm

hi there

i havent had any testing done, its not an accurate way to find out if you have a sensitivity. trial and error is what works

you could pay a ton of money and have hormone tests, food allergy tests etc and still have it come up that you are not sensitive to something and your hormones are fine yet you still get acne from it.

a naturopath will just tell you to remove things from your diet and see how your skin is, gluten, corn, dairy, sugar, booze, caffeine...those are the biggest offenders.

took 4-5 weeks of being completely gluten free and taking saw p for me to see any results. i also drink copious amounts of water, workout 3 times a week and really dont drink caffeine (maybe 1 coffee a week) and barely any alcohol (maybe 5 drinks a month)

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 12/05/2012 9:16 am

I'm always suspicous of posts from brand new members recommending/providing links to miracle products. Seriously, we have enough to deal with without having to figure out what advice is real/not real. Now I'm mad.

MemberMember
(@chelslaw)

Posted : 12/05/2012 12:18 pm

just ignore :)

MemberMember
(@user74659)

Posted : 12/05/2012 9:49 pm

Yes, I am a 29 y/o female and get acne in the exact same place! Its all around the right and left sides of my mouth/chin mainly. Nose and cheeks are totally clear, but I do get a bit on my forehead, too. I've never been able to get rid of the chin acne though. The derm classified it as "hormonal, adult-onset acne." Had it since I was 12/13 mild to moderate and it got cystic (moderate to severe) at age 22. I controlled it with tazorac, rosula face wash, and bursts of minocycline since then but always had bumpy blackheads in the same place that wouldn't go away. Now I'm 29 and it can back worse than ever (very, very severe and inflamatory)! Much more severe than ever before with cysts, inflamatory tracts and pustules that itch, burn, and drain (gross I know)... What's worse, it all went from being 95% clear to looking like this within a matter of about a week!! I'm FINALLY on accutane now (day 6) after struggling with looking like this for about 2 1/2 months now and hoping for some clearance of this once and for all finally! Wish me luck! I totally feel for you and know how frustrating it can be. Its really hard to hide it here. Good luck to you!

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 12/06/2012 10:15 am

I PM'd you :)

MemberMember
(@lallen2222)

Posted : 12/06/2012 1:08 pm

Hello. I have the same issue. I suffered acne all over my face as a teenager but after almost every type of medication it cleared up after a year. Now in my late 20's I have suddenly started to get the most painful cystic acne, always around my chin. I hate it! I often get several normal sized spots but with one of two cysts, which take so long to heal and are almost impossible to cover up.

I can't stand looking like this anymore. I already have scarring on my left cheek from my teenage acne (which I have spent a fortune trying to have removed) now I have to deal with these cysts as well.

I have also noticed that I am slightly more hairy around my chin area than I used to be. A few months ago I started fainting so my GP sent me for blood tests. Turned out I had low blood pressure and very low levels of vitimin D. Something my GP said can cause skin problems,

So for the past 2 months I have started taking a high doasge of vitimin D daily plus a multivitimin. To be honest this hasn't started to help just yet, but I've been told it can take up to a year for the vitimin D levels to go back up to what they should be.

I have tried almost EVERY acne product going. ProActve (which made my skin so so much worse) Clarins, Clinique, Ultraclear (which made me break out bad!) I even forked out £350 on microdermabrasion to try to get rid of some of the blackheads and marks left behind by the cysts, but again, that hasn't helped.

I'm now trying out pure tea tree soap and dabbing pure tea tree oil on the existing spots in the morning and evening, so fingers crossed that may start to help. My face certainly feels cleaner and fresher.

I have also ordered 2 bottles of Clearzine pills in the hope they will worl, we'll see. I will try almost anything.

I am at the end of my tether :(

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 12/06/2012 2:43 pm

Interesting. I have low blood pressure and my vitamin D is on the low end of normal. But I also assumed my acne was an androgen problem because I've had extra facial hair all over since puberty - mostly lasered off now. I hear you on the frustration. Have you had your hormones tested? I am thinking about going on birth control now - I was on the wrong type of pill for years and didn't know it. Then I was on desogen for one month inbetween fertility treatments and didn't break out once - and I realized I should have been on that the whole time. I'm so regretful of that and that I didn't do accutane. Now I'm trying to get scars mitigated so I don't want to go on accutane and have to wait a year to do that. What did you have done for your scarring?

MemberMember
(@talltails19)

Posted : 01/01/2013 12:31 am

Hello!

This is my first post by the way! I've been reading on here for a while but finally decided to jump into the discussion. Because I feel like acne is taking over my life and I'm trying so many different things. I've decided it's definitely hormonal acne that I have. Just this past 2 months I have had the worst breakout on my chin, with spot-less cheeks. I mean why does there have to be such a constellation of zits both on the left and right side of my chin and along my jawline. Everything I have read points to chin acne as being related to hormones. I decided it must be treated internally. But in the meantime, topically as well.

What do I think lead up to it? 1.) I "tried" to come off Proactiv. It was getting to be expensive. 2.) I did the Dr. Oz 3-day detox. While my skin was already bad. I think it just tipped it over the edge. (Because detoxing pushes toxins out and can result in acne because that's your bodies way of getting rid of the toxins) 3.) and come that time of the month...BOOM!

In the past two weeks I have definitely been seeing an improvement even though my skin is still not crystal clear.

First, I am back on proactiv. But sometimes I'll alternate the toner and substitute for witch hazel. It's just very dring. So I make sure I use a heavy moisturizer at night but not during the day. Sometimes I'll use vitamin e oil at night.

Second, I started taking some herbal supplements:

Vitex/chasteberry- good for balancing hormones

Dandelion root-cleanses the liver, gallbladder and kidneys; eliminates excess hormones in the body;rich in vitamins A, D, and other minerals which are vital to skin repair

Burdock- good for cleansing liver and blood

Third, drinking plenty of water. Especially when I consume a lot of sugar that day. I try to drink at least 6 16oz bottles of water a day.

*I'm doing all of this in an effort to avoid going on birth control or some antibiotic, btw.

So hope my experience helps. I believe now that you have to treat acne from all kinds of angles.