Notifications
Clear all

Dehydrated Skin

MemberMember
(@sunshine41)

Posted : 11/20/2012 3:32 am

Hey, guys! So, I finally managed to balance my skin. I was just washing my face with water and applied sunscreen when I went out and my skin finally stabilized, except that the skin on my forehead was dehydrated. It had tiny little wrinkles. So I read somewhere that to get rid of that skin one must exfoliate. I bought an organic exfoliator in a drug store and exfoliated my skin, but what happend was that my skin got so irritated, I broke out, pores around my nose enlarged, the skin was so dry and tight and also I noticed tiny wrinkles around my nose and some tiny lines (maybe scarring) on my cheeks and chin. Apparently I over-exfoliated it. I finally managed to balance my skin and now this again!! sad.png(( I bought a moisturizer now, an Eucerin Aquaporine day moisturizer with SPF 15 and I drink a lot of water. Will it help? I´m so worried now sad.png

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 11/20/2012 5:18 am

Have you ever heard of Virgin Coconut Oil? For those who have had bad experiences with oils, keep reading...

Coconut oil is different from other oils because it is solid below 78 degrees. This means that when it's on your skin, it stays in liquid form, thus preventing pore clogging. Also it doesn't go rancid like other oils. I've heard you can actually leave it out for a year at room temp and it won't go rancid. (i'll try to find out more about that)

If you want a quick overview of everything found in the oil that benefits the skin, an easy way to do so is to simply search 'coconut oil skin benefits'. There are loads of blogs and other sites discussing the healing power of this stuff.

Also for women, i've heard it's great for makeup removing.

Needs to be Organic Virgin Coconut Oil. The unrefined stuff

Here's a lady giving a brief overview

MemberMember
(@sunshine41)

Posted : 11/20/2012 2:52 pm

Thanks! So it helps with dehydrated skin? Really? You have experience with it?

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 11/24/2012 1:33 am

The product you picked will help because of glycerin, which is the most effective "moisturizer" and the silicone ingredients in it can prevent water loss from the skin (source: http://www.skintherapyletter.com/download/stl_10_5.pdf ). However, if your skin still seems dry try a hydrating cleanser or use petroleum jelly to prevent more water loss in the skin.

As for drinking more water to increase skin hydration, that's just a myth. Make sure you aren't dehydrated, but drinking more water than necessary will only lead to more trips in the bathroom.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 11/26/2012 2:32 pm

Thanks! So it helps with dehydrated skin? Really? You have experience with it?

I do, and it does. However...oils either work great for a skin type, or they are terrible for it. Another great option is to purchase an aloe vera plant or leaf ( they sell leaves at whole foods market) and add some to a homemade toner to get an all in one toner/moisturizer/acne fighter. I make a green tea toner with a touch of sea salt that works great. I'll link you to the thread, but basically, you can add some aloe vera to the toner once it's cooled off to a warm temp (this way you don't destroy the beneficial enzymes) and then store it in the fridge. Also a caffeine free version of the toner uses green rooibos tea, which has even more antioxidants than green tea

MemberMember
(@sunshine41)

Posted : 11/26/2012 3:10 pm

Is a moisturizer with aloe vera equally effective? And green tea is good for sensitive skin as well? Im using this Eucerin moisturizer now and its relatively OK, but Im not completely satisfied. It has fragrance and alcohol in it and it makes my skin a little bit reddish and it stings a little when I apply it, I thought about switching to Lavera Aloe Vera moisturizer.....although it doesnt have an SPF....:/ Ugh, its so hard to find a right moisturizer for my sensitive combination skin!

And so far my skin reacted good to oils (olive, almond), Ive been using the oil cleansing method and its great!

MemberMember
(@snsdgirl14)

Posted : 11/27/2012 1:21 am

I've over-exfoliated before too and gotten that tight, wrinkly dry skin. It's awful! What would I suggest is getting some Aquaphor. Seriously, it is like a God send for dehydrated skin. Put it all over your face, or only the dehydrated areas if you wish, and sleep with it on. Usually by morning when you wash your face, you'll see the dead skin just peel off with fresh, soft skin underneath. Sometimes it takes a day or two longer to get the skin fully healthy again, but it really works. It doesn't clog pores either since it's water-based. Definitely get some Aquaphor, it will save your skin!

MemberMember
(@sunshine41)

Posted : 12/11/2012 5:25 pm

Its really a shame that Eucerin (which is a German brand) produces Aquaphor only for American market :/ There is no Aquaphor where I live, but I read its ingredients, its basically glycerin, panthenol and bisabolol, Ill try to find a similar cream.