Notifications
Clear all

Acne Distorts My Face

MemberMember
(@adhpn7)

Posted : 11/19/2012 9:03 pm

I already know my face is crooked, but does anyone else feel like acne brings it out even more? I've noticed when I'm not breaking out I'm less likely to obsess about the symmetry of my face, but when I am breaking my face turns into a ugly being. Like a lagoon monster or something. I think it's because of how the cysts and scars look on the face. And also acne draws attention to my face thus it starts the whole paranoia process. this is topic is probably beaten like a dead horse, but I need to know I'm not alone and crazy.

MemberMember
(@crimeinpartner)

Posted : 11/19/2012 9:15 pm

You are crazy lol

Yea when i break out i obsess about my face in every way(shape,color,feel etc)

BTW you're mad cute lol

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 11/19/2012 10:48 pm

You're not crazy. I feel the exact same way. And in fact, my face is not symmetrical because of a blow to the skull that I had during a car accident as a kid. It knocked my jaw off kilter and then the jaw joint continued to degrade over time which loosened one side of my jaw and made it no longer hang straight. It isn't something most people would probably notice, but I obsess over it. When I get breakouts, they change the shape of my face even worse because many of the huge cysts are along my jawline. When I turn my head to the side, I can see the way they change the shape of my chin. It's very depressing. :( I relate so much and just wanted to give u a virtual *hug*

MemberMember
(@bodie81)

Posted : 11/20/2012 12:53 am

No one has the perfect asymmetrical face - if they did it would look strange. However I totally get how when you have got acne or breakout, it somehow makes other flaws that you think have more noticeable.

Adhpn7, don`t mind me saying but it is so sad that you seem to have such a low opinion of yourself. I`ve looked at your gallery and loads of people have commented on how great you look - they can`t all be wrong!

MemberMember
(@adhpn7)

Posted : 11/20/2012 2:42 am

You're not crazy. I feel the exact same way. And in fact, my face is not symmetrical because of a blow to the skull that I had during a car accident as a kid. It knocked my jaw off kilter and then the jaw joint continued to degrade over time which loosened one side of my jaw and made it no longer hang straight. It isn't something most people would probably notice, but I obsess over it. When I get breakouts, they change the shape of my face even worse because many of the huge cysts are along my jawline. When I turn my head to the side, I can see the way they change the shape of my chin. It's very depressing. sad.png I relate so much and just wanted to give u a virtual *hug*

i'm so sorry :(( *virtual hug* back. that would drive me nuts, i'm obsessed with facial symmetry

No one has the perfect asymmetrical face - if they did it would look strange. However I totally get how when you have got acne or breakout, it somehow makes other flaws that you think have more noticeable.

Adhpn7, don`t mind me saying but it is so sad that you seem to have such a low opinion of yourself. I`ve looked at your gallery and loads of people have commented on how great you look - they can`t all be wrong!

I know, =/ i have a really distorted perception of myself. I have two mixed signals coming at me all the time. I really don't know what I look like, if that makes sense..

MemberMember
(@blissbalance)

Posted : 11/22/2012 2:14 am

I have recently felt this way about my face too!!!!!!!!! I used to love my face shape and my cheekbones, but now, having acne, I feel like my face looks so weirdly shaped and my hairline too.. :/

MemberMember
(@adhpn7)

Posted : 11/22/2012 10:20 pm

I have recently felt this way about my face too!!!!!!!!! I used to love my face shape and my cheekbones, but now, having acne, I feel like my face looks so weirdly shaped and my hairline too.. :/

glad you feel the same way too :( but your face def. is not distorted at all, you're so pretty!

MemberMember
(@blissbalance)

Posted : 11/22/2012 11:42 pm

glad you feel the same way too sad.png but your face def. is not distorted at all, you're so pretty!

Thanks girlfriend :) Your face is NOT weird shaped at all btw, unless you don't like the gorgeous type of look :)

MemberMember
(@jarrit)

Posted : 11/25/2012 7:14 am

Everyone in this thread is correct.

I also have some serious BDD. My jaws and eyes are crooked and I'm very lazy-eyed in photos.

The overall expression in your face completely overrides any type of perceived "asymmetry". Your face is definitely not crooked from what I can see in the photos.

It helps to try this exercise :

pretend that you are not yourself. close your eyes for a minute, and then look at yourself in the mirror or photo. Do you think that person is good-looking? I know you know that you're good-looking because you want to clear your face. You would love to clear what is there but something is out of reach. When I look at your face I see a beautiful face. I've had acne for 15 years, so I see far past it.

Your acne does not look bad at all, and I believe it will subside. If you're at all interested in my methods of curing, check my signature link for my diet thread.

MemberMember
(@elsewhere)

Posted : 11/26/2012 8:09 am

Everyone in this thread is correct.

I also have some serious BDD. My jaws and eyes are crooked and I'm very lazy-eyed in photos.

The overall expression in your face completely overrides any type of perceived "asymmetry". Your face is definitely not crooked from what I can see in the photos.

It helps to try this exercise :

pretend that you are not yourself. close your eyes for a minute, and then look at yourself in the mirror or photo. Do you think that person is good-looking? I know you know that you're good-looking because you want to clear your face. You would love to clear what is there but something is out of reach. When I look at your face I see a beautiful face. I've had acne for 15 years, so I see far past it.

Your acne does not look bad at all, and I believe it will subside. If you're at all interested in my methods of curing, check my signature link for my diet thread.

I really like the mirror thing. That's neat.

MemberMember
(@the-uphill-battle)

Posted : 12/12/2012 5:00 pm

You're not crazy and you're NOT alone. My nose is crooked...and it bugs me to no end, having acne on top of that just makes me feel disgusting. Acne has a way of spotlighting everything you dislike about yourself. It's awesome.

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 12/13/2012 6:56 am

When I break out really bad it's always on my cheeks. I don't scar - just get PIH - but I really hate how it makes underneath my cheekbones look bumpy when they're actually quite nicely carved.

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 12/14/2012 11:01 am

I can totally relate to feeling like my face is distorted. Back when I used to get acne on my jawline (cystic), I would look at my face at all different angles and feel like my face was all differently shaped. It would make me not want to turn my head certain ways when talking to people.

Spotthedifference, I know what you mean about PIH. It does seem to take away from the shape of my face-- and yes, especially the cheekbones :(

Right now, I have a spot right above my lip where a "beauty mark" would go-- or one of those Marilyn piercings would go. I HATE it. I feel like it makes me look different, and one of my students actually asked if I used to have a piercing there. Ugh.

Unfortunately, I look at my face the same way I look at my body-- I see ALL of the imperfections first before I see anything that I like. Boo...