Notifications
Clear all

How To Respond When People Point Out Your Acne?

MemberMember
(@sperovic)

Posted : 11/19/2012 8:05 pm

Okay, so I work as an AIN (assistant in nursing) whilst I'm studying to be a RN. One thing you'd probably expect with nurses is that they're empathetic and kind towards others, right? But I've had a few nurses say to my face, things like "what do you do about your pimples?", "have you tried ____?" "are you washing your face enough?", etc. Whenever I've been asked these things, I can't help but feel upset and insecure. My diet is better than anyone I know, I exercise daily, I take supplements and I've tried countless treatments (natural and prescription).

I just wanted to get some input off you guys. How do you respond? What do you do in these situations?

MemberMember
(@crimeinpartner)

Posted : 11/19/2012 8:25 pm

Tell them to fuck off lol

Nah i just tell people im treating my acne, they usually stop caring after that :)

MemberMember
(@murph89)

Posted : 11/19/2012 8:36 pm

Point out a flaw that they have that is noticeable. Haha

MemberMember
(@elsewhere)

Posted : 11/21/2012 8:04 am

I've said in the past "I appreciate your concern, but I'm on a treatment regimen for it." People still always want to offer advice, which usually requires reiteration of the first statement.

MemberMember
(@lady_c)

Posted : 11/21/2012 9:27 am

I'm just full of bravado lol. I kid you not, I've had SO many people over the years insult me, it's unreal. I'm too embarrassed and/or offended to counteract their rude comments. I'd be a hypocrite if I advised you on something I usually stay mute about.

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 11/21/2012 10:05 am

It makes me want to slap them in the face. But of course I don't and never would. I just nod and smile and say "ok yeah Ill give that a try" just to humor and please them and to make them feel accomplished or like they lent some value to someone's day. Chances are I never see that person again. If its someone I know well I just have a fit and explain all the crap I've been doing that isn't working. I have a great diet and I so almost everything right like you- and I'm sure it's hormones. Then I found that insulin sensitivity can lead to hormone imbalance. So- if you don't mind I'd recommend you take vitex and chromium picolinate- as well as up your lean meat intake and eliminate all soy and gluten (which you probably already have).

MemberMember
(@blissbalance)

Posted : 11/22/2012 1:58 am

Erggggg those people make me want to smash cinder blocks into my skull. I would best tell them that it takes time for acne to heal itself. Because that's the simple truth, and you do not need to justify to them what you are doing to clear up your skin. It's just none of their business.

MemberMember
(@lavieestbelle)

Posted : 11/23/2012 9:49 pm

I am 30 years old and have had bad cystic acne for 15 years, except for the times I was on medication, which would be about 8 or 9 of those years. I think people point out other people's acne for various reasons. Sometimes it seems like they are genuinely concerned. I've definitely suspected that some people do it out of malice though, (or maybe I should say their own insecurity?)

Either way, in my opinion, what people say to you about your skin says something about them, and it says absolutely nothing about you. I am constantly reminding myself of this.

I don't have a good answer to your question as to what you should do. All I know is that it's hard sometimes for me too when people stare at my acne rather than making eye contact. I empathize with how challenging it must be for you to work in the health care field as well.

I obsessively notice how people touch their face when speaking to me as if to indicate to me that I have something on my face. I have the nicest colleague who unknowingly does this all the time when talking to me. It sometimes mega bothers me/hurts my feelings, but I think that this is entirely subconcious on his part.

The next time someone says something insensitive to me re: my skin, I would like to tell them that some people just have acne. That's it.

The amount that I obsess over my acne is ridiculous. I am working on this though. I just try to remind myself that it's only a problem because of how image obsessed most of us are. Acne wouldn't be a problem otherwise, right?

I find the following quote inspiring: "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" (Jiddu Krishnamurti)

And after all that I just said, I'm clearly on this website in hope of helping my acne heal. But after having it for so long, I've realized that I need to accept it and to stop feeling ashamed of it. It's really a lot easier to do this when I'm either by myself or with people who do not judge me at all because of my skin.

MemberMember
(@elsewhere)

Posted : 11/23/2012 9:53 pm

I find the following quote inspiring: "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" (Jiddu Krishnamurti)

That is absolutely, positively, one of the most gorgeous things I have ever read. Thank you for sharing that.

MemberMember
(@sum1killme)

Posted : 11/23/2012 10:24 pm

Somebody would get hurt if anybody pointed at my acne.

MemberMember
(@eccentricbean)

Posted : 11/24/2012 12:20 am

sob your heart out!

nah, I'm just kidding. but honestly, shame on them. really. don't take it on yourself to be the victim of something your insecure about. i think for now, be proud of it. acne is acne. one day, when your older they'll be gone. and for me, I think it's been a very humbling experience to have. it's a stage of your life that will make you feel so emotionally distressed that when you're finally through with it, and accepting, you'll feel at peace. it's a character building process i believe.

anyways for now just laugh it off. people are silly sometimes, and fixate on the small things that don't really matter. so for now, you should just really try to ignore what they say.

MemberMember
(@mike09)

Posted : 11/24/2012 12:59 am

"Mind your own business, I don't tell you that you're annoying as hell"......and yess i have said that to someone before and then they responded with "woah someone is having a bad day" to which I responded, "it sounds like now you're trying to backtrack your previously rude statement"..........proceed in awkward stare and tension but the key is to stare them directly in the eye until they look away haha

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 11/24/2012 3:22 pm

As them what they are doing to treat their high level of bitch.

MemberMember
(@cutiebear)

Posted : 11/24/2012 3:25 pm

Middle finger to the haters. Haters gonna hate.

MemberMember
(@j0sephine)

Posted : 12/06/2012 10:22 pm

i usually just reply 'oh wow i'll try that.....' and avoid them as much as possible. i tend to not tell people stuff straight up.

MemberMember
(@robert_nl)

Posted : 12/08/2012 10:33 am

I respond immediately by giving them a good slap in the face.

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 12/08/2012 3:29 pm

Nurses are obviously more interested in health than most, presumably including skin health. Nobody has mentioned my acne to me without me mentioning it first because it's quite mild and I'm scary as hell in real life.

My response would either be manic laughter and walking away (they won't come near you again after that, trust me, it's worked for other things) or a smile and a firm 'Sorry, I wasn't aware that this is your face. I'll be sure to post it back when I'm done with it'.

Or ask them if they're dieting any to help with their weight problem, etc. That should give them the wake up call that they need.

MemberMember
(@jennaaaay)

Posted : 12/09/2012 5:45 pm

Whenever someone points out my acne I just shake it off or laugh it off and pretend it does not bother me that I have acne when secretly i just want to punch them in the face! eusa_shifty.gif

Also, it depends on if they are also acne sufferers. If they have a totally 100% clear face...then it really upsets me. eusa_wall.gif

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 12/10/2012 9:00 am

Okay, so I work as an AIN (assistant in nursing) whilst I'm studying to be a RN. One thing you'd probably expect with nurses is that they're empathetic and kind towards others, right? But I've had a few nurses say to my face, things like "what do you do about your pimples?", "have you tried ____?" "are you washing your face enough?", etc. Whenever I've been asked these things, I can't help but feel upset and insecure. My diet is better than anyone I know, I exercise daily, I take supplements and I've tried countless treatments (natural and prescription).

I just wanted to get some input off you guys. How do you respond? What do you do in these situations?

My response would be this.

What are doing about that giant nose attached your oversize cranium?

What you doing about that fat around your waist?

What are you doing about your breath?

Whatever imperfection they have exploit it. Sounds mean but sometimes it is required.

It has always amazed me what is socially acceptable. It is socially acceptable to call someone skinny but not so much to call someone fat?

Society is a fickle thing and i don't subscribe to these basic assumptions of the civilized world.

I just tell people, insult me all you want but it will get very personal very quickly and i will go to low down depths to insult you back. biggrin.png

Treat people how you want to be treated it is that simple.