Notifications
Clear all

Switching From Proactiv Bp To Dan's Acne.org Bp

MemberMember
(@beingclear)

Posted : 11/19/2012 4:56 pm

I've been on the regimen using drugstore cleanser, moisturizer, and jojoba oil, and proactiv 2.5% bp. I'm in my 4th week, and I've worked up to using about a finger length's worth of the proactiv BP. I was very flaky and dry at first, but now in the 4th week, my skin's dryness has significantly lessened.

I just received Acne.org's BP treatment, moisturizer, and AHA treatment. It's so much more cost-effective than proactiv. I know I should wait a bit to start the AHA. But I want to begin the BP treatment and moisturizer today.

My question is, should I start the BP gel with a finger length's worth of product, like I was using with proactiv? Is my skin ready for it, or is Acne.org's BP solution very different? Will I shock my skin if I use that much?

Thanks for your answers!

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 11/20/2012 9:08 am

You should be able to transition just fine since you have already been using bp. Remember that it should be a full fat finger length for the full amount, not a skinny line. Make it big and generous.

Good luck! You'll love not having to smell that Proactiv fragrance anymore, lol

Info from our store page:

Acne.org Treatment is a pharmaceutical grade product. It is triple milled to ensure extra fine raw material. This is why you won't find grittiness in Acne.org Treatment like you often do in other benzoyl peroxide products. When applied to the skin, this produces smaller particles of benzoyl peroxide which penetrate more deeply into the skin.

I've witnessed that the vast majority of people clear up more quickly and completely with a pharmaceutical grade benzoyl peroxide, and you should be able to switch over from whichever benzoyl peroxide you're currently using to a pharmaceutical grade product with complete confidence. However, a few people have reported that they have broken out upon switching to Acne.org Treatment. Although this is uncommon, there is an explanation for those of you who may experience an initial breakout, and I'd like to allay your fears here. It could be the result of the smaller particles of benzoyl peroxide reaching deeper down into the skin and attacking the acne that is still well below the surface. This acne is destined to reach the surface at some point. However, a pharmaceutical grade benzoyl peroxide can act as a metabolic accelerator, bringing this acne to the surface. The good news is that after this initial breakout that some people may experience, you can expect your skin to stay clearer with a pharmaceutical grade benzoyl peroxide medication. With each application it will be penetrating more deeply and preventing acne from forming. I have personally never been clearer since switching and recommend that anyone switch without reservation. You'll be glad you did.

MemberMember
(@elsewhere)

Posted : 11/20/2012 7:05 pm

I had gone from Pro-Activ straight to Dan's treatment, too. I didn't have any problems with the BP transition at all.

MemberMember
(@beingclear)

Posted : 11/20/2012 7:29 pm

Great, thank you for your replies.

I will start with the Acne.org BP tonight... a full fat finger length's worth of the stuff.

MemberMember
(@keeh)

Posted : 12/30/2012 2:12 pm

I've went with Proactiv BP to Dan's BP back to Proactiv.

Not much difference whatsoever, in my opnion. I also kinda did like the creaminess and moisturizing qualities blended into the Proactiv BP more. They stress this pharmaceutical quality BS but Proactiv is up to par. Not a fan of either to be honest, but they also try to sell you on the Proactiv fragrance being so horrible but the Dan's BP doesn't really smell much more pleasant and has just as much of a odor, if not smells worst.

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 12/31/2012 7:45 pm

You should be able to transition just fine since you have already been using bp. Remember that it should be a full fat finger length for the full amount, not a skinny line. Make it big and generous.

Acne.org Treatment is a pharmaceutical grade product. It is triple milled to ensure extra fine raw material. This is why you won't find grittiness in Acne.org Treatment like you often do in other benzoyl peroxide products. When applied to the skin, this produces smaller particles of benzoyl peroxide which penetrate more deeply into the skin.

I've witnessed that the vast majority of people clear up more quickly and completely with a pharmaceutical grade benzoyl peroxide, and you should be able to switch over from whichever benzoyl peroxide you're currently using to a pharmaceutical grade product with complete confidence. However, a few people have reported that they have broken out upon switching to Acne.org Treatment. Although this is uncommon, there is an explanation for those of you who may experience an initial breakout, and I'd like to allay your fears here. It could be the result of the smaller particles of benzoyl peroxide reaching deeper down into the skin and attacking the acne that is still well below the surface. This acne is destined to reach the surface at some point. However, a pharmaceutical grade benzoyl peroxide can act as a metabolic accelerator, bringing this acne to the surface. The good news is that after this initial breakout that some people may experience, you can expect your skin to stay clearer with a pharmaceutical grade benzoyl peroxide medication. With each application it will be penetrating more deeply and preventing acne from forming. I have personally never been clearer since switching and recommend that anyone switch without reservation. You'll be glad you did.

So, it's good to switch over to The regimen's BP and other stuff from using other BP treatments? such as benzac %5??

MemberMember
(@kyle_)

Posted : 01/01/2013 5:57 pm

So, it's good to switch over to The regimen's BP and other stuff from using other BP treatments? such as benzac %5??

I would say so, of course you might have a period of tiime where you skin needs to ajust from one thing to another, but I would expect you will be fine, I was for sure.

Also, you might welcome the lesser strength of dand 2.5% BP, instead of the more drying effects of 5%, however benzac is a different product all together in my opinion, so I can't be completley certian, good luck anyway and even if you do break out dans BP will definatly clean it up

MemberMember
(@keeh)

Posted : 01/02/2013 12:55 am

You do realize that with the amount of treatment Dan recommends using equates to nearly just as much as just a dab/minuscule amount of a higher concentration of BP but also throws on even more inactive ingredients to your skin as well?

MemberMember
(@kyle_)

Posted : 01/02/2013 9:01 am

You do realize that with the amount of treatment Dan recommends using equates to nearly just as much as just a dab/minuscule amount of a higher concentration of BP but also throws on even more inactive ingredients to your skin as well?

I have always thought the same amount of dans BP has the same effectivness as a higher concentration such as 5%

MemberMember
(@keeh)

Posted : 01/03/2013 9:28 pm

I have always thought the same amount of dans BP has the same effectivness as a higher concentration such as 5%

Dan's is 2.5 percent, that means part of the treatment is 2.5% BP while the other portion is just inactive ingredients and such. Taking that into consideration, explains the multiple pumps recommended to use to make up for the lack of active ingredient. So while you're using the generous amounts of the treatment, primarily you're putting on less active ingredient and more inactive ingredients. In my opinion this just drowns your face if you find it necessary to apply as much as recommended.

With higher concentrations like 5%, there is more active ingredient and therefore less inactive ingredients. Instead of throwing copious amounts of an application that has less of the effective ingredient to make up for the difference, with higher concentrations you have to put on just a little bit and you don't have to drown your skin with inactive ingredients that do noting for your skin. With Dan's theory that the more BP the better, then I really don't get the disregard for higher concentrations, cause in reality with the excessive amounts of product he recommends, the multiple pumps of treatment equate to just a few dabs of a higher concentration product.

MemberMember
(@kyle_)

Posted : 01/04/2013 3:39 am

I have always thought the same amount of dans BP has the same effectiveness as a higher concentration such as 5%

Dan's is 2.5 percent, that means part of the treatment is 2.5% BP while the other portion is just inactive ingredients and such. Taking that into consideration, explains the multiple pumps recommended to use to make up for the lack of active ingredient. So while you're using the generous amounts of the treatment, primarily you're putting on less active ingredient and more inactive ingredients. In my opinion this just drowns your face if you find it necessary to apply as much as recommended.

With higher concentrations like 5%, there is more active ingredient and therefore less inactive ingredients. Instead of throwing copious amounts of an application that has less of the effective ingredient to make up for the difference, with higher concentrations you have to put on just a little bit and you don't have to drown your skin with inactive ingredients that do noting for your skin. With Dan's theory that the more BP the better, then I really don't get the disregard for higher concentrations, cause in reality with the excessive amounts of product he recommends, the multiple pumps of treatment equate to just a few dabs of a higher concentration product.

In my opinion, even though you will have inactive ingredients on your skin, their purpose are only to prolong the life of the BP, and keep a good viscosity ect. With it being dans BP I'm confident in saying that there will not be any inactive ingredients that would be harmful to the skin, or basically any ingredients that should not be there unless they defiantly have to be.

Dans BP is 2.5% based on 2 studies I believe, and the feedback of others I guess, of 2.5% BP being as effective as 5% (I don't like to compare 2.5/5 to 10%, I believe that stuff is in a league of it own.)

I have however read that 5% for some people it's more effective than 2.5 for their sin in particular, but I guess everyone is different, and some people will not have too many side effects with a higher concentration however the majority of people do, thus 2.5 being a good choice as it does actually work, and there isn't the such harsh side effects for those who are susceptible to it.

Personally, if I apply too much of dans BP (being 2.5%,) my skin will burn a little bit, and I can expect to wake up with skin worse than the night before, the BP only works for me as long as I apply the right amount so that my skin doesn't burn or such, leading to my conclusion that when my skin is irritated from any sort of BP, it aggravates underlying acne (I'll always wake up with spots coming through the skin, where as they wouldn't ever be there if I has applied BP correctly.) I can't imagine what would happen if I used 5%!

I don't like how the regimen says skin is expected to by dry, peel, red and such, that shouldn't happen! People should apply it while trying to avoid the redness and itching.

Also I guess for a lot of people, being able to apply a good amount of 2.5% evenly over acne prone skin, or skin already having acne, is a lot easier than having to carefully apply a small, thin layer of 5%, I always find doing that hard (when I used to use a lot less 2.5%,) and some parts of my skin where probably not covered enough.

I also know a lot of derms, or most derms, prescribe 5% topicals, I have been offered them before but I'm quite picky as to what I apply to my skin

Reading this back sorry if I sound like I'm trying to be smart I'm not! Just couldn;t word things any other way :)